Cheaper bags and pads?

Decker9

WKR
Their website sucks for listing specs. Bag dimensions are nonexistent. It needs some work.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I agree, I think that’s part of their advertising problem and why we don’t hear much about them. I called in to make my order, a very old lady picked up the phone, but was able to answer all the questions I had.

Huntin_GI

WKR
What did you expect? That rating system they use now doesn't take into account sleeping bag loft filling in the weld voids on those Klymit pads which is how they were designed. Anyone with any understanding of how the standard was implemented could see that would be the result. Now, with a quilt they definitely are colder than advertised. With a good bag they're not taking the hit that that new rating method is making it out to be. Nemo pads took a hit in the ratings too, as did some Sea to Summit pads.

That may be the case. All I know is I froze on the Klymit and went to the nemo and now I sleep much better and my bag does what my bag is designed to do.

Mind you a Nemo bag isn't necessarily the best on the market, they make a quality product.

What did you expect? That rating system they use now doesn't take into account sleeping bag loft filling in the weld voids on those Klymit pads which is how they were designed. Anyone with any understanding of how the standard was implemented could see that would be the result. Now, with a quilt they definitely are colder than advertised. With a good bag they're not taking the hit that that new rating method is making it out to be. Nemo pads took a hit in the ratings too, as did some Sea to Summit pads.

Just bought a quilt and haven’t used it yet with this pad. Who knows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ryhole

FNG
That Klymit static V insulated is super comfortable for me. It's a bit heavier than most, but after sleeping like a baby on it last Sept for 8 nights, I'll gladly take the weight penalty. I picked it up pretty cheap on camofire. I highly recommend it. Can't speak for any other brands.
I did the exact same. I had a cheaper sea to summit and it took one night for me to buy a bigger more insulated pad. I agree with this one and the price is not bad at all. I even got a free Klymit pillow at the time. Worth the weight and size

Savage99

WKR

At the risk of hijacking… I just bought a BA echo park 0 degree and a klymit insulated v luxe xl. Will I have this problem for November hunts I’m the Rockies? I was just about to start a thread asking this. The other pad thread has me thinking about an exped downmat 9 at 25” wide.

Just used my quilt for the first time with the klymit static insulated v in about 45 degrees temps. Felt the ground sucking the heat out of me hard all night. Also felt less comfortable than when I used it with a sleeping bag. So I’m shopping for a new pad :)

Savage99

WKR
Just used my quilt for the first time with the klymit static insulated v in about 45 degrees temps. Felt the ground sucking the heat out of me hard all night. Also felt less comfortable than when I used it with a sleeping bag. So I’m shopping for a new pad :)

Well, I returned the klymit and bought an exped downmat 9 lw. I won’t know until 2nd season is here and it’s cold.

Well, I returned the klymit and bought an exped downmat 9 lw. I won’t know until 2nd season is here and it’s cold.

Nice. I’m thinking of the neoair xlite myself

BlackSS

FNG
I recently purchased klymit as well and just so happened to stumble across the ASTM testing controversy and loads of people talking about freezing with klymit insulated pads in cold weather. Luckily I'm still in the amazon return window so it's going back.

Paria recharge seems to be a good budget alternative but the "XL" size is not available for ~2 months according to their customer service. So my search for a reasonably priced pad in a larger size continues.

kpk

WKR
For car/truck camping I'm using a Klymit double V. If I don't have to pack it, I'm using something wide enough to not roll off of all night.

I watch the Sierra Designs site for clearance bags. I've bought two high fill down bags now that are absolutely fantastic for right at $100 ea. I really recommend their bags for the best value to performance ratio.

Matt G.

WKR
I hated the insulated klymit pad. It didn't feel 3 inches thick, not good for me side sleeping as I felt bottomed out and it was cold. Moved to the exped 5 ul. It is softer, Warmer and same weight.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

RGARNER

Lil-Rokslider
I wouldn't skimp on a pad because you don't really save that much money, add $80 dollars to Klymit and you can get a thermorest or nemo tensor.

Marmot bags are hard to beat for the price, I picked up a Marmot never summer 0 degree down bag on sale for $150 and its great. I did eventually upgrade to a WM antelope and it is and amazing bag.

Kronos

FNG
I wouldn't skimp on a pad because you don't really save that much money, add $80 dollars to Klymit and you can get a thermorest or nemo tensor.

Marmot bags are hard to beat for the price, I picked up a Marmot never summer 0 degree down bag on sale for $150 and its great. I did eventually upgrade to a WM antelope and it is and amazing bag.
I agree on the Marmot bags. I have a feathered friends and WM bags... I also have a down marmot plasma bag with 875 fill (discontinued) and I'm completely happy with it.

Jakerex

WKR
In the last few months I bought a used down outdoor vitals 0* bag and a used thermarest xtherm in regular wide. Paid $100 each. These are for bivouac camp

Base camp is a synthetic north face 0* bag in goliath size and a mondo king thermarest pad. Love this setup….sleep like a baby!

I hated the insulated klymit pad. It didn't feel 3 inches thick, not good for me side sleeping as I felt bottomed out and it was cold. Moved to the exped 5 ul. It is softer, Warmer and same weight.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Amen

Hands down my favorite is the Marmot Sawtooth. Reasonably priced down bag and good to 15 degrees. I'm on my 2nd bag. They also make a plus size for big guys. Packs small and under 4 pounds last I checked