Cheapest Fur Tanneries

Spartan

FNG
Hello everyone! I was wondering if any of you could point me in the right direction as far as tanneries go. I have a bobcat hide that I need tanned. It’s a small 17 lb bobcat, so I don’t want to spent much on it, but it’s also my first (and only) one, so I would like to preserve the hide. What are the cheapest tanneries for fur pelts y’all have found?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bairdi

FNG
Cheapest isn't always the best option. Personally, I send all my fur to Moyle Mink in Idaho for tanning. They've always done a good job with the fur I've sent them (10+ wolves, a bunch of fox, lynx, and a few beavers). I've got some wolf, wolverine, and lynx that I'll be sending them at some point soon once I can bring myself to stand in line at the post office. I sell a fair bit of tanned fur to tourists up here as wall hanger souvenirs. I also sell tanned fur to taxidermists occasionally as well. If you are planning to get it mounted or rugged, it needs to be "taxidermy" tanned, but if you are just going to keep it as a wall hanger then their "intact fur dressing" or "garment" tan is the way to go. Their prices are reasonable. Taxidermy tan for a bobcat is $71 and garment tan is $35. They have a pretty good website that guides you through the process and you can pay online etc. Because bobcats are a CITES species, make sure you fill out the declaration form and that the hide is properly tagged before shipping to them or else they'll refuse delivery and it'll get sent back to you. Just a warming that the turn around times can be pretty long, as in 6+ months. They do offer a 40 day rush service for a 50% surcharge. I've gone both routes in the past and using the rush service has not affected quality at all. Hope that helps you out.

OP
Spartan

Spartan

FNG
I’ll definitely look into Moyle and USA Foxx. I’ve been eyeballing Foxx, but I had looked over Moyle. Thank y’all so much!

Definitely moyles. I've use USAfox and will never use them again. Took about a year and the fox I sent was not the fox I got back. I sent in a big, dark western grey fox and got back some shorter tailed, not prime, small fox. I've sent a lot to moyles and it does take time, but not a year and it always looks to be the same fur I sent.

JBrown1

Lil-Rokslider
I just received some arctic foxes back from Moyle and Mink.

Turn around time was about 5 months, and the process was seamless. The furs are beautiful. I did the garment tan option, and I couldn’t be happier.

Price wise, I felt that M&M was very reasonable. But I agree with the other guys who say that this is not a place to look for a bargain. By the time you figure in round trip shipping, it’s silly to try to save a few dollars on the tanning itself.

Last edited:
OP
Spartan

Spartan

FNG
Awesome! Thank y’all for the input!