Cheapest Spotter That's Worth Carrying

tgus59

Lil-Rokslider
I have a set of good 10x42 binos (Vortex Viper HD) that I plan to run on tripod for an Idaho Elk/Mule Deer hunt, and am going back and forth on a spotter.

We are getting packed in on horses, but its DIY from there. I know a lot of time will be spent glassing, and that a spotter could make that more enjoyable at times. I don't want to spend $400 only to find out I needed to spend $1,000 to justify lugging it around.

Last edited:

UtahJimmy

WKR
I have a set of good 10x42 binos (Vortex Viper HD) that I plan to run on tripod for an Idaho Elk/Mule Deer hunt, and am going back and forth on a spotter.

We are getting packed in on horses, but its DIY from there. I know a lot of time will be spent glassing, and that a spotter could make that more enjoyable at times. I don't want to spend $400 only to find out I needed to spend $1,000 to justify lugging it around.

I've looked at the Vortex Diamondback, Viper and the Redfield Rampage so far.

I would vote you save your $$$ with those choices.

If this is your first Western hunt and you aren't going to be picky, a spotter is useless. And I have to disagree with your statement that it would make glassing more enjoyable. For me, looking through a spotter for more than a few mins hurts. I much prefer glassing through my binos on a tripod.

tdhanses

WKR
I would vote you save your $$$ with those choices.

If this is your first Western hunt and you aren't going to be picky, a spotter is useless. And I have to disagree with your statement that it would make glassing more enjoyable. For me, looking through a spotter for more than a few mins hurts. I much prefer glassing through my binos on a tripod.

Completely agree if those are the only choices.

I would look at the Vanguard and Athlon in 65 before any of these and there are a few 50mm that are budget rated that’ll work. My first spotter was a Minox 50md, it is a fine spotter for the price.

TravisIN

WKR
I’ve been looking at Hawke optics. Only because some guys at a local shop who were big time vortex guys were ranting and raving about it. Not much about them out there but what is out there is good. Have a little 50mm that has my intrest

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you go the 50mm route I suggest looking at the Hawke 50 ED. I recently picked one up for a packing scope. Saying that is depends what your plans for using a spotter are. You can read my thoughts under the Hawke optics thread.

tdhanses

WKR
I’ve been looking at Hawke optics. Only because some guys at a local shop who were big time vortex guys were ranting and raving about it. Not much about them out there but what is out there is good. Have a little 50mm that has my intrest

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’ve yet to hear anything negative

Frank Grimes

Lil-Rokslider
I also recommend the vanguard 65mm. I haven’t looked through a lot of 50mm spotters, but on the lower price point, they may not gather enough light and leave you wanting more. Then it won’t be worth packing around.

FURMAN

WKR
In what way? I had one side by side with a swaro hd and there was very little difference in clarity or brightness so please do tell. I kept the swaro for the weight savings.

FURMAN

WKR
I can tell you there is no free lunch in optics. You will not find a $500 scope to compete with a $3000 scope period. There is a point of diminishing returns but the differences are clear.

FURMAN

WKR
If you honestly believe that a $500 dollar spotter will hang with the big boys there is nothing I can do to help you. Good luck.

Yeah I'd dump those viper hd's and get some better bino's..

Their FOV sucks and honestly all across the board they are pretty much meh. They aren't terrible but the next class of bino's you get a lot for your money.

Some people bitch about meopta's silver prism coatings, but I find across the board they display a lot less chromatic aberration then dialectic applied coatings and the slight blueish tinge to be really minor.

If you really want to waste time go on bird forums. I got so into i was running swaro habicht 8x30 from Europe. Great glass, terrible for a western hunter. But that's a different story.

You can see a lot with good bino's on a tripod. And meostar hd's can be had all day long at 700 used. Go there.

I concur with rfurman on his recommendation on the swaro razor 80. at $810 is a lot of scope for the money. Spent some time last month behind one.

JohnnyB

WKR
I bought the Vanguard 65mm for around $340 based on reviews from this site. I doubt it is as good as a Swaro but it gets the job done. I may upgrade someday but I don’t feel rushed or handicapped.

I think a spotter is really valuable for glassing a little further out than binos can muster. I like glassing with it some after using my binos closer in. Some people hate using spotters besides quick judging of animals.

I had a Redfield Rampage before. It's lower quality but still useable. Not anything I would recommend if you can swing for a $500-600 spotter which is were they start getting pretty good.

I'm very happy with my 65mm Viper all things considered. It doesn't have primo glass but it's pretty clear and gathers light well, up to the end of legal shooting light. I can spot critters up to 4ish miles and judge well for 2ish miles, lots of variables involved. I think the Athlon Ares is as good or better and more packable so consider that too.

I'd never buy a 50mm because it doesn't give you much beyond what binos would.

I'd sell your Viper binos and buy some Maven C1s. Now that's some sweet glass.

morgan1h

Lil-Rokslider
I use the Vanguard Endeavor 14-45x60 and I love it for the price point. Putting it side-by-side a swaro caused by buddy to sell his. Are there better spotters out there? yes. Are they $1,000 better? I don't think so. It does everything I need it to. I've used it most for high country mule deer and nebrasks sandhills pronghorn and mule deer (where I use it to identify animals coming over hills 1-3 miles away.) If I had money to use on upgrading optics, I'd buy 15x binos way before I'd upgrade my spotter from the vanguard. For $350, its a spotter that will serve you very well for years to come without nagging feeling of wishing you'd spent more.