Cheapest Spotter That's Worth Carrying

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
No bullshit what's the cheapest spotter you'd trust in a brooks range sheep hunt?

Cheapest? The Nikon I referenced above. They’re about $250-300 used on eBay. That’s what I successfully carried for over 20 years up here on everything (moose, sheep, goat, caribou, bears). Got it as a birthday present when I was 10.

Fatcamp

WKR
The vortex razor we used last month was the newer version..

Really impressed with all the vanguard fans on here.

No bullshit what's the cheapest spotter you'd trust in a brooks range sheep hunt?

Under the assumption vortex gen 2 was bottom level and meopta s2 was probably getting more into the excellent range, but both are knocking on alpha class.

If I could afford to hunt sheep cost of the spotter wouldn't be an issue. :)

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
If I could afford to hunt sheep cost of the spotter wouldn't be an issue. :)

I agree, the guide better have one! :)

As promised, here's some digiscoped pics through the Nikon with an iPhone 5 if memory serves me. No adapter, just handheld up to the eyepiece.

ZHGp5Uz.jpg

xVIpPdd.jpg

And a couple more that I just like...

y4zIeHS.jpg

RpUYDfx.jpg

Chico103

Lil-Rokslider
I used to have the big Meopta spotter. Awesome glass but I didn’t pack it all the time. I picked up a used Razor 50mm for $500. It never leaves the pack. It’s so light it would be silly not to carry it. I always have a tripod on me for the binos anyways. It’s perfect for my needs as I’m not real picky on animals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bruce Culberson

Lil-Rokslider
I hunted for the past 14 years with a B & L Elite 15-45x60 (similar scope to the NIkon SLDMTN referenced). It was used on 3 successful Stone's hunt. In most conditions we had to be under 400 yards to age a ram. The sharpness deteriorated above 40x.

Last year I ordered a 15-45x65 Vanguard. While the picture was brighter and a wider FOV than the B&L it could not pick up as much detail on a pine cone at 200 yards so I sent it back. This winter I tried a Athelon Ares 15-45x65 which is brighter and sharper to my eye, so I kept it (and picked up an extra 1lb of weight).

So to answer the OP - yes I think a scope in the $400 plus range is worth packing.

I had a leupold gold ring 15-30x50 compact and Iiked it. You can pick one up second hand for 3-400 and if you don’t like it you can sell it for that. Can’t go wrong with it if you are just getting into spotters....I upgraded to a Swarovski atx 85 but I used my gold ring for years while I saved up. Sold mine for what I paid for it and used it for a couple years....I think that scope weighs in at around 22oz....it won’t be a very last/first light scope but you can only get so much for that price point and I was never disappointed. Good luck with the choice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Broomd

WKR
Nikon XL II. Great little socpe, killed several Dall rams with that scope and it takes up very little space in the pack.
$200 all in and decent glass.

PNWGATOR

WKR
I want a scope that’ll maintain zero and insure the intersection of POA/POI in field conditions. If I have to pay a weight penalty to tip the odds in my favor, so be it.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I want a scope that’ll maintain zero and insure the intersection of POA/POI in field conditions. If I have to pay a weight penalty to tip the odds in my favor, so be it.
You should put that in your sig line. If you would have bothered to read any of this thread it's about SPOTTING scopes.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

PNWGATOR

WKR
Hahahaha. Duh. Sorry about that. Not sure how I screwed that up. Carry on...

Last edited:
OP
tgus59

tgus59

Lil-Rokslider

What is the best yardage to zero my spotting scope? ;)

JNDEER

WKR
Everyone has an opinion. You are in Iowa and may never use a spotter again for a long time. That is a LOT of coin to dump on something you may only use a couple more times if you head out west. Is your Viper HD binos the most current generation or older generation?

What do you hope to use the spotter for, specifically? How far will you be glassing- not just a guess but actual distance?

Be smart with your purchase. A $500 spotter is just that and a $1000 spotter is just that. There is NO chance a $500 spotter will be on par with a $1000 and NO chance a $1000 will be on par with a $2000.

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Patw