Check my Wife's Elk Arrow Build

Ucsdryder

WKR
Not a chance I’d go that low for elk. What’s his reasoning for choosing 375? I think 525+ is a bit high but I think 435-450 is a great build. There’s a reason trad guys shoot heavy with similar setups. Keep your shots within 30 yards and put her at 425-450 and go kill something.

ncavi8tor

WKR
I like the Axis over the FMJ. I take the weight I save in GPI and stack it up front for a little extra FOC.
Agree with this!! The Axis is a MUCH better shaft than the FMJs. A 420 to 450 grain arrow with at least 15% FOC would be money! Good luck!

NC

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

stonewall

WKR
I’m with these above. I’d go 400-450 total weight. Whatever groups best in that range. And I say axis over fmj as well. I’m no expert that just my opinion. I just ordered some bea rampages for my wife and will try the focos system. Think finished arrow will be around 440. But that’s just for deer and such around here

Bill V

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I think the setup you chose is a good one. I wouldn't go any lighter. With light poundage setups on big animals, I generally recommend going as heavy as you can with an acceptable trajectory for the distance you want to shoot. This is often around 425-475 grains. The sharpness and edge retention of Iron Will broadheads greatly reduces the force required to penetrate, so will penetration further than most people expect. Good hunting!