Check scope turret after air travel

mcseal2

WKR
Just a heads up. My Huskemaw was dialed to 475 yards when I went to dial 300 to shoot my caribou. On that scope I have a screw on cover over my turret, it can’t be accidentally turned. Someone at the airport removed the cap, turned it, and re-installed the cap.

My rifle got knocked over by a buddy after we shot 300-600 yards right before we left so I shot it again at 100 yards right before locking it in the case and hit fine. No way that happened if I accidentally left it dialed to 475. I am sure someone changed it.

Just a heads up for anyone traveling. If I had been shooting a caribou at 200 yards instead of 300 I would not have removed the cap and caught that the turret was moved. I’d have missed at best and wounded it at worst. I will always check that in the future after handing my gun over to TSA.

Laramie

WKR
Probably a PETA member working TSA. Glad you caught it prior to the shot. This is yet another reason to shoot your rifle/bow after longer travel and prior to the hunt.

soggybtmboys

Lil-Rokslider
Lock your firearm up with a lock only you can open, as its outlined in the TSA rules. No TSA locks!

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

OP
mcseal2

mcseal2

WKR
Good point I had TSA approved locks. I will not use those again. TSA could open my locks with their master key.

I very much like to shoot my rifle after travel. In Alaska there is not always a place to do so. I will definitely check both turrets every time after travel now for my own peace of mind, even when using different locks.

EastMT

WKR
Good point I had TSA approved locks. I will not use those again. TSA could open my locks with their master key.

I very much like to shoot my rifle after travel. In Alaska there is not always a place to do so. I will definitely check both turrets every time after travel now for my own peace of mind, even when using different locks.

Ok that makes sense, I buy the little master locks. Did you go through Seattle? If so I’ll make a bet where it happened haha

If the wind doesn’t blow, take to the oars.

OP
mcseal2

mcseal2

WKR
I’d bet you are right. KC to Seattle to Anchorage to Kotzebue.

OP
mcseal2

mcseal2

WKR
I went with Talley steel 1 piece rings and bases on this rifle just so I could have a really simple tough option. This rifle primarily gets used on elk or in grizzly country. I shoot something without the recoil of the light 300 win mag when I don’t want that level of power.

Never use TSA locks on your firearms case. Even TSA advises against it. Use standard locks. Open the case, with your key, in their presence. They inspect the firearms, in your presence. You lock up the case again, in their presence. Nobody has access to the firearms again, without you and your key. The case gets sent along to the cargo hold.

EDIT: Be sure to have at least one spare key either in your wallet or your carry on bag. I keep one in each besides the one on my key chain.

OP
mcseal2

mcseal2

WKR
Already have 1 new lock for the trip home. Will get others once there. One will still prevent the case from being opened and I’ll use the tsa locks on the other spots.

Elkangle

WKR
In kotz my case looked like someone beat it with a sledge hammer...no way was it normal wear and tare...

They don't like hunters in kotz and take it out on your gun...I wasn't the only one with a mangled case

Explorer

FNG
Spinning someone's turret and causing them to launch a bullet over a horizon could have some serious consequences!

OP
mcseal2

mcseal2

WKR
It would likely be spotted more easily on a scope with an exposed turret. One of my favorite things about my Huskemaw is the covered turret so I don’t have to worry about it getting turned accidentally. I’ll always know to check it after air travel in the future and use different locks. I’m just glad I learned this lesson without it causing any real harm.