check this out!

• Banned
OP
littlebuf

littlebuf

Banned
no body else thinks this looks awesome? this takes you water filter, water treatment and water bottle and consolidates into one package that's no bigger than the bottle you already carry. I see this thing making some room in my pack and taking time off of treating water. anyone ever use one?

Ray

WKR
Have you gone to their website and read the spec table for the filters?

Based on what they have published on their website these filters are for cleaning up tap water. They show that if the source is other than tap water they recommend additional treatment.

I'll stick to the sawyer or platypus in line filters for my bladders. They are engineered for treating water in the backcountry.

• Banned
OP
littlebuf

littlebuf

Banned
http://www.okoh2o.com/okoandsafewater.php#filters

I don't know, third paragraph in this page states its tested to work with giardia but then they have a disclaimer. does any water filter out there give you a 100% guarantee of clean water? with the modern lawsuit mentality im thinking probably not. every thing has a disclaimer

aron

WKR
I got the same impressions as ray about the filters being used for tap water. They have a level 3 fliter but not available yet and don't list any of the filtering particle sizes for any level of filters.. I would be hesitant at trying them for outdoor use.

With only a 100 gallon filter rate and with no ability to splice it inline I think I'll stick with the Sawyer this year. Pretty good video on it even filtering the cocacola into water though.

Mike

They are real short on details.

They did mention a 2 micron pore size, which is really bad. For comparison the larger Sawyer is .1 and the small one is .02.

However, they do mention that they have a special silver something or other that kills bacteria on contact and they don't mention at all at about virus contamination.

If you look at their charts, you see that the worst places they have NR for and tell you not to drink the water there.

They also have this in capital bold letters.

WARNING : DO NOT USE ÖKO FILTERS WITH MICROBIOLOGICALLY TAINTED WATER OR WATER FROM UNKNOWN SOURCES

So yea, I will be sticking with my Sawyer.

Too bad though, who ever comes up with a water filter that weighs less than 8 oz, filters/kills protozoa, bacteria, viruses and filters out chemicals will be rich.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
http://www.okoh2o.com/okoandsafewater.php#filters

I don't know, third paragraph in this page states its tested to work with giardia but then they have a disclaimer. does any water filter out there give you a 100% guarantee of clean water? with the modern lawsuit mentality im thinking probably not. every thing has a disclaimer

Nope, no filter claims 100% safe water. Some are better than others.

This thing is somewhere between a coffee filter and a real backcountry filter.

I really like the Sawyer filters and Steripen purifiers. I do believe the UV treatment is pretty effective (and works on tiny viruses - yea!), but it kind of weird me out that it doesn't actually kill the pathogens, but rather makes them unable to reproduce.

littlebuf,

You can attach a Sawyer squeeze filter directly to a bottle and use it in the same way, plus have better protection.

OP
littlebuf

littlebuf

Banned
I currently don't filter, but I will use aqua mira. like you im not super worried about mountain water and have never gotten sick from it. not that it cant happen. the 5 drops of aqua mira in my water bottle are just a little assurance. I was just thinking this bottle would save even that step and give a little piece of mind

Not to threadjack but the video that came up after your water filter was a NASA astronaut showing what happens in space when you wring out a towel full of water in zero gravity. That had to have been one of the coolest damn videos I've ever seen, it was a trip. Lol, look squirrel, I'm easily amused. :D

dryflyguy

Lil-Rokslider
If you could find a filter that would turn water into a coke, then I'd buy one for sure.