Checked Bags for Alaskan Hunt

kybuck1

Lil-Rokslider
I've got a large bag, but never taken it on a small plane. It works fine and one of my only complains is not having 2 backpack straps. Otherwise I feel like material wise it's solid. If that doesn't bother you then I'd say it's good to go. I might even sell you mine if you're interested and look for something a bit different.

OP
PredatorSlayer
I've got a large bag, but never taken it on a small plane. It works fine and one of my only complains is not having 2 backpack straps. Otherwise I feel like material wise it's solid. If that doesn't bother you then I'd say it's good to go. I might even sell you mine if you're interested and look for something a bit different.
Is that the 148l bag?

dieNqvrs

Lil-Rokslider
You never mentioned what your full plans were with travel in and with meat on the return.

We typically use Rubbermaid 18 gallon roughneck totes. Bring 6 of them but nest 3 together for two total pieces of luggage. Ultimately you pack into the two totes and have a dry bag inside a tote or as/in a carry on. With the totes you take one lid and place on a tote and drill 4 or 6 holes in it; 4 corners and mid line on Long side. Then take the same lid and drill all the totes, then the same lid and drill all the lids. So any lid will fit any tote. Then take zip ties to secure the lids. 18 gal will take 50lbs of meat easily with out breaking it. They are blood proof and they don’t break even In The freezer.

OP
PredatorSlayer
You never mentioned what your full plans were with travel in and with meat on the return.

We typically use Rubbermaid 18 gallon roughneck totes. Bring 6 of them but nest 3 together for two total pieces of luggage. Ultimately you pack into the two totes and have a dry bag inside a tote or as/in a carry on. With the totes you take one lid and place on a tote and drill 4 or 6 holes in it; 4 corners and mid line on Long side. Then take the same lid and drill all the totes, then the same lid and drill all the lids. So any lid will fit any tote. Then take zip ties to secure the lids. 18 gal will take 50lbs of meat easily with out breaking it. They are blood proof and they don’t break even In The freezer.
My sister lives up there and we are arranging meat transport back to the states via trophyexpress. Seemed to be about the same price as checking it all and then I don’t have to worry about it at the airport. So I think I have the meat transport covered, just want to make sure my gear stays dry in the rain and cruising around in a boat for two weeks. We are flying into Anchorage and then hoping on Ravn Air to our final destination.

dieNqvrs

Lil-Rokslider
My sister lives up there and we are arranging meat transport back to the states via trophyexpress. Seemed to be about the same price as checking it all and then I don’t have to worry about it at the airport. So I think I have the meat transport covered, just want to make sure my gear stays dry in the rain and cruising around in a boat for two weeks. We are flying into Anchorage and then hoping on Ravn Air to our final destination.

I’ve heard of trophy express, but no experience with them. I shot animals in lower 48 and had them shipped to me by a friend on AK airlines back to AK. The process to be a known shipper took some time with Covid but wasn’t bad or too expensive- maybe ~$1.00 a pound to ship frozen and included the tight trimmed green skull wrapped and points covered. Meat was already cut and wrapped by me. Shipped in totes on a pallet.

Having a plan to get meat from field to your sisters house and on to the express needs to be planned.

I don’t like to travel with my gear in dry bags on commercial airlines. They get thrashed and holy too fast. Better to use a cheap duffel and then put your gear into the dry Bag right before the boat.

The fact you're flying RAVN changes things. I would ship everything to the final destination except a carry on and gun case.

Alternatively, if you're bringing a pistol in addition to a rifle, once you get to Anchorage put that in your duffle and declare it in addition to the gun case when you check in with RAVN. All firearms must fly with you. It will assure your duffle doesn't sit in Anchorage for 5 days. Even then they left my additional bag with a declared firearm in Anchorage one time. I got on them with regulations and luckily they brought it the next day. Several guys on here can speak from experience with those clowns. You will sit at your destination and watch them unload pellets of pop and captain crunch for days while they tell you they didn't have room for your stuff today.