Cheddite 209 primers

cruizer

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone ever use Cheddite 209 primers in their ML? I was at a gun shop today and the cheddite was all they had, so I pick up a 100/pk. Hoping they will work in my TC Omega using Blackhorn 209 powder. Thanks.

Anyone ever use Cheddite 209 primers in their ML? I was at a gun shop today and the cheddite was all they had, so I pick up a 100/pk. Hoping they will work in my TC Omega using Blackhorn 209 powder. Thanks.
Hey cruizer, just curious if you’ve had a chance to try these in the Omega yet, and if so how did they do? Seems they’re all I can find around here as well, and I’m thinking about trying them in an Accura MR. I can only find 1000/pk though, and don’t exactly want to buy that many if they’re not going to do what I need them to.

OP
cruizer

cruizer

Lil-Rokslider
WS, Yes I have been to the range with the Omega to shoot it with the new scope. I used BH209 powder and the results were excellent. in fact I went back to the gun shop and picked up another package of them just to be sure I have them. Going to shoot again here pretty soon, and will report back.

WS, Yes I have been to the range with the Omega to shoot it with the new scope. I used BH209 powder and the results were excellent. in fact I went back to the gun shop and picked up another package of them just to be sure I have them. Going to shoot again here pretty soon, and will report back.
Thanks for the update, that’s good to know. I think I’ll give them a try too if there are any left when I make it back to the store.

Thanks Sabotloader
Just came across this online - Remember the Cheddite is a European primer, so it 's made to Metric Standards.

Is Cheddite larger than Winchester primer?
The Cheddite is a larger primer than the Winchester. This may cause the primer pocket to be expanded and in the future may cause you some fit issues if you choose to go back to the Winchester primer forcing you to ‘resize’ all of the primers pocket.

Slightly larger in diameter. The real key is if the primer will insert into to your breech plug. If it inserts and falls back out when tipping the rifle it should work fine for you.

OP
cruizer

cruizer

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks sl, I haven't had a problem getting them in or out of the breech plug, but I will keep an eye on the breech plug primer hole expanding a bit. I've been very happy with them so far.

Thats in reference to loading in plastic shotgun shells. You aren't expanding your breech plug, likely slightly crushing the cheddite primer.

That should help seal it better tho, assuming it doesn't stick like sabotloader said.

Thanks sl, I haven't had a problem getting them in or out of the breech plug, but I will keep an eye on the breech plug primer hole expanding a bit. I've been very happy with them so far.

They shouldn't cause any abnormal erosion of the flash hole. Any primer is somewhat abusive on the flash hole but you see see the normal erosion with the Cheddite. It is a really good primer.

tdcour

FNG
Does anyone have additional experience with the Cheddite 209s? Moved to a Knight UL from a TC. Have about 40 federals left before I need more primers. Cheddite is all I've seen for quite some time still and don't really want to pay the Hazmat fees to ship 1000 primers.

Edit: I should say I'm asking about their use with BH209 in a bolt gun specifically, but info in break open welcome as well.

BriderLV

FNG
I have been using them in my CVA Accura I just picked up and they seem to work fine with Pyrodex Select but I read they are not hot enough for Blackhorn however have not tested that.

87TT

WKR
Sportsman’s warehouse has them. Fit all kinds of shotgun shells just fine. Have used around 4000 so far on all brands of SG shells.

Does anyone have additional experience with the Cheddite 209s? Moved to a Knight UL from a TC. Have about 40 federals left before I need more primers. Cheddite is all I've seen for quite some time still and don't really want to pay the Hazmat fees to ship 1000 primers.

Edit: I should say I'm asking about their use with BH209 in a bolt gun specifically, but info in break open welcome as well.
I use Cheddites at the range with BH209. They ignite it just fine. For hunting I use Federals (or CCIs) as recommended by Hodgdon. I think as long as the Cheddites fit your breech plug and you’re using a BH209 suitable plug, the only thing I’d worry about is ignition in really cold weather.

Does anyone know about Winchester 209S? Are those hot enough for BH209? Buddy has some. Otherwise im happy to stick with Cheddites for now as they worked fine

tdcour

FNG
Does anyone know about Winchester 209S? Are those hot enough for BH209? Buddy has some. Otherwise im happy to stick with Cheddites for now as they worked fine
I'll update you in a few days. Just picked up a couple hundered Winchester W209 shotshell primers from a smaller gun store. They are the only shotshell 209s I've found locally.

My dad has some Cheddites he will be using in a week or two, so should have a couple of good test runs in the near future.

You should be fine with Cheddites or Winchesters most of the time. I wouldn’t count on them on an important hunt or in cold weather.

I ended up getting some Win 209 after looking at that chart above. Looks like they are nearly as hot as CCI 209M. Which is rated quite a bit higher than Cheddites. Ill try then at the range in near future

birdog

FNG
W209 primers work great. My only issue was they were slightly longer that the Federal and CCI209M so I was getting a little too much crush.