Cheek Riser/Stock Pack?

BCD

WKR
How do I know if I need a cheek riser? I see them on a lot of the long range precision rifles and would like to try one on my Browning HC Speed. I don't want to use anything that would require drilling into the rifle. Any suggestions on what my best options are here to try one out?

Thank You!

These are inexpensive, effective and they don't require you to alter the stock in any way.

Antares

WKR
There are a lot of factors that go into ideal comb height (personal preference, shooting position, how you mount the rifle to your shoulder, the structure of your face, is LOP correct already, etc.) That said, close your eyes, mount the rifle (offhand or in the prone), and then open your eyes...if you see black vignetting in the bottom of the scope (or worse yet, you're looking under the scope) then you could do with some more comb height (or lower rings).

A lot of people just lift their head ever so slightly until their eye is centered in the scope. Not a big deal at shorter distances, but it's inconsistent and gets problematic at longer ranges. I like a lot of comb, I really smash my face down on the rifle which puts it in the same position every time. My preference for this probably comes from years of shotgun shooting where fit is everything because you're "pointing" not "aiming." But it's all about consistency and repeatability in how you mount, which also applies to rifles.

There are lots of options. Check out Triad stock packs, Victor/Titan risers, or Cheek-Eez pads for starters. I know you said you didn't want to drill holes in the stock, but holes can be filled and painted over (unless we're talking about grandad's turkish walnut). If a stock doesn't fit, it's not doing its job so modify it or replace it, but that's just my opinion.

On a related note, is your length of pull already where you need it? Do that first because it affects where your cheek sits on the comb, and consequently how much comb height you need. If you're 5'8" 160 pounds then the factory LOP is probably fine (assuming it's 13.25-13.75"), but if you're significantly bigger or smaller, you might need to address LOP. It's amazing what a difference half an inch makes.

Blah, blah, blah...I'm done.

Last edited:
Antares pretty much explained it great so can't add anything he didn't already cover. I have the Traid stock-packs on most of my rifles that don't have a cheek piece on the stock which most don't. I need a little additional height on my stocks to get a full view through my scope and the stock-pack does that.

Triad has several different flavors to choose from but all are nice and well made (y)

TN2shot07

WKR
This is what I run on my Hells Canyon, all the ones I’ve tried work about the same but I like that the ammo isn’t on the outside and it has a divider if you carry something else in it

I tried several on my HC Speed and found the Beartooth fit me the best. Several of the others were too thick on the side and pushed my face away from the stock. Also nice is they come with alot of different thickness pads. You can test alot of different heights until you get one that you like.

Trick to putting the Beartooth on is to take the stock off and slip it on from the front!!!!!

B23

WKR
I have a lot of HS Prec. stocks they've been a good stock for me but if you're using a scope with a 50mm objective you can't mount it low enough for their relatively low comb height. I've never used the slip on type but I have kydex adjustable cheek rests on all of my HS Prec stocks and even put one on a Boyd's wood stock once. They're easy to install, very light weight, pretty inexpensive, and they work great.
224T pic4.jpg

Sled

WKR
i've used both bradley and triad. for hunting i like the triad. target i find the bradley is nice

woods89

WKR
Triad fan here.

It's amazing when you get that height just right. Rifle comes up and you're looking right through the scope. It speeds up field shooting significantly.

Reactions: B23

B23

WKR
Triad fan here.

It's amazing when you get that height just right. Rifle comes up and you're looking right through the scope. It speeds up field shooting significantly.
Completely agree! I wouldn't say that I'm a face smasher but I do like a good solid cheek weld and having something there that consistently puts me in correct alignment every time without feeling like I'm searching around to completely see through the scope really spoils you and makes me hate shooting something where I have to lift my head up and search around.

OP
B

BCD

WKR
So if I want a Triad with the option for the clear dope card window, I need to get the modular version correct? I'm going to try one, but still want to have easy visual access to my dope card.

Sled

WKR
So if I want a Triad with the option for the clear dope card window, I need to get the modular version correct? I'm going to try one, but still want to have easy visual access to my dope card.

That sounds correct but you can always call and find out first hand. The owner is easy to talk to and helpful.

Reactions: BCD
Another option is to get some foam and cut it into pads that can go over the top of the stock. Secure with a little duct tape. Use 1/8 foam and build layers until you get a good, natural eye alignment with the scope. Make sure your foam doesn’t impede the bolt movement.

207-12A

Lil-Rokslider
I use styrofoam and camo wrap, easy to get the perfect height, non-permanent, no residue. Almost free.

4ester

WKR
This is what I run on my Hells Canyon, all the ones I’ve tried work about the same but I like that the ammo isn’t on the outside and it has a divider if you carry something else in it

This. I have quite a few of these. Keep rounds, dope chart, earplugs in the pouch. Never forget ammo again.

Saw Midway USA has a cheap version too I’m gonna try.

If you need more height just sandwich a small piece of foam under the pouch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TX_Diver

WKR
I'm playing with vetwrap and the strips from my triad pack right now. Works well so far.

Anyone have long term experience with that beartooth product? Does it want to slip forward/back or is it pretty solid?

KH_bowfly

Lil-Rokslider
OP, not intending to derail, but maybe this is on your mind too based on the original question.

I’ve been researching these products too and came across the same products mentioned. Since this is Rokslide, I need to ask. Are these worth the weight for backcountry if only typically shooting 300 yards? I’ve never used one but imagine they may be worth it if you’re having fit issues. I’m an archery guy looking to blow the dust off my rifle in 2021.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk