Chest binocular power

Hey all,
Looking to get a new set of chest binos for western elk and deer hunting. Wanting something I can use glassing from some distance but also something I can use for still hunting. Mainly trying to decide between 8x42 and 10x50. Thoughts?

I’m far from any expert but I prefer 8x42 for my elk and whitetail hunting. Tried the 10x42 but found I like the wider FOV and “easier to hold steady” nature of the 8’s. I’m giving up some magnification using 8’s but it’s much easier for me to pull them out and use them when I’m out of breath from climbing.

BBob

WKR
I'd say 10x42 is probably the most common all around I see. My personal most often used all around binocular for many many years is 10x32 EL's. They only get used hand glassing, larger glass comes out for tripod use.

Carpenterant

Lil-Rokslider
I think either size will suit you well. I went through the same decision a few years ago and landed on 8x42, but I don’t think anyone would be wrong going 10x50 or 10x42. I prefer the wider fov and don’t feel I’m missing much with 2x less magnification.

Brendan

WKR
10x42 fan here. I think if I went to 10x50, I'd need a larger size chest rig, which I don't want to do. I run an AGC Kodiak CUB.

NoWiser

WKR
I started out with 8x42 and thought I was missing out, so went to 10x42. It was a mistake and I'm back to 8x42 and they are all I'll ever carry on my chest. They are great off a tripod as well. I just grabbed some 15x but they'll be strictly for tripod use.

Rodéo

WKR
8x42 chest bino and 65 spotter in the pack or big glass (12x+ x 50mm+).

8's are much easier to hand hold for me and the FOV on a tripod is more preferable for me than the extra 2x of 10's. Also, I ran 50mm bino's in my chest harness for a while and they were just too cumbersome and annoying to pull out for a quick look.

You could always split the difference with the 9x45 maven B2. I couldn’t be happier with mine. Maybe I’ll upgrade to ELs some day but I could buy used Mavens twice and have money left over for what the Swaros cost.

I used 10x42 last year. I personally can't hold a 10x42 steady enough to really study the view. I'm on 8x42 now for hand holding.

FlyGuy

WKR
I prefer my 8x32 (el) for elk hunts. Usually inside timber and lighter glassing. Went on an Aoudad hunt and found that I really needed the 10x42 (SLC) in that wide open environment with heavy glassing sessions to find invisible animals. Took those same 10x42 on my elk hunt last year and hated how narrow the field of view was.

You can’t cheat the mountain

Spent 5 years with 10x42s on the chest...works fine and is a good go between.. I now use 6x32s, and they are superior for most neck bino applications....for one handed operation, quick scans, thick cover, super early low light conditions, spotting movement, and distances sub 1000yds, they're incredible (maven 6x32). But....for big glassing jobs, at long distances, I bust out the EL 12x50s on on tripod.

JRMiller

WKR
10x42's mostly
But if i'm glassing primarily with my my spotting scope and just using the binos to cover larger areas quicker, i 'll bring 8x42's

I’ve opted to ditch my chest binos and only use my 7x rangefinder for short distance scanning in thick timber. I’ll let everyone know how it worked for me at the end of the season.

FlyGuy

WKR
I’ve opted to ditch my chest binos and only use my 7x rangefinder for short distance scanning in thick timber. I’ll let everyone know how it worked for me at the end of the season.

I had a buddy that tried that and it was terrible. He was using the sig I’m pretty sure. Couldn’t hold it steady, eye strain. Narrow FOV. Hope you have better luck.

If my options are either 8s or 10s, I'd take the 10s as they are better suited to where and how I hunt.

If there were no restrictions, then I'd take 12s (ELs) or 15s (SLC). Still would use my Sig range finder for quick looks.

Disclosure: I own SLC 10s, SLC 15s, and Viper HD 8s.

I had a buddy that tried that and it was terrible. He was using the sig I’m pretty sure. Couldn’t hold it steady, eye strain. Narrow FOV. Hope you have better luck.

Thanks for sharing.

I forgot about FOV! Better look at some good low power binos for my chest again.

ZDR

WKR
I just moved from 8x32 to Swaro 10x30 and really like them so far. Need more time with them but my impression is I lost little in the move and gained better clarity for longer distances. I shot the MAF 3D shoot last weekend and it was nice to see details on 80yd+ targets that I ordinarily could not see with my 8x. I think they are going to be keepers.