Chest freezer in my truck

fmyth

WKR
sorry for blowing up this thread but I had an idea.

Ideally you could set your truck up with an automatic charging relay to a spare battery. The relay basically allows your truck to charge your truck and auxiliary batteries while it is on, then when it is off it isolates the circuit. Th aux battery (you can also charge 2 aux batteries) would power an inverter to run the freezer. This would allow you to leave the freezer for multiple days and it would run on the way home without using a generator.
I'm doing something similar this fall. Will be using a battery switch/isolator from: https://redarcelectronics.com/collections/dual-battery-isolators
I'll be installing an aux battery, charge controller, aux battery relay, battery charger and small solar panel on my shell if it ever arrives. Damn rona shut down the ARE plant and now the wait is over 2 months.

I put a chest freezer on my rack on the hitch. we carry a small generator and lock it in the cap and cover it up. If we are lucky enough to kill something, the generator can ride beside the freezer on the rack. My rack is rated for 500 lbs.

Planning on doing the exact same thing. Used freezer from Craigslist wouldn’t be more than $100 and worst case is to sell it for what I paid if I didn’t fill it.

Bockja

FNG
This is what we do every year for elk hunting. We bring two chest freezers, one empty and one with frozen food for the 2 weeks we are out there. We turn on the generator each day for a few hours and that's been enough to keep everything frozen. Lots nicer for us than having to lose two hours driving back and forth to town to buy fresh ice. We have tried the dry ice thing as well, and while it worked great for a couple days. It was hard to pack enough dry ice into a cooler and have it last the whole two weeks unless we brought a separate cooler just for replacement dry ice.