Chest Holster for trail/ backcountry running???

Dirty-D

Lil-Rokslider
I’m looking for a chest holster to carry a 1911 or a 629 mountain lite 44mag. Something I can put some miles on, 3-7 miles at about 7 min/mile pace. I’ve tried lots of holsters, the bar so far is a Hill People Gear kit bag, but it still bounces a lot. This is south Texas, hog country typical temps are 70-110 degrees so synthetics/ neoprene preferred, this will be run over a thin shirt most of the time. I am looking for something to keep my pistol in place while I run and accessible in case I see a hog other predator on my runs. Concealment is not an issue. I’m 5’7 160# so small is good and ability to cinch down tight is great.

Thank you in advance for your input I’d like to get a good one Instead of buy 4-6 off the internet and learn the hard (expensive) way.

The best I’ve found for either my Glock G20 or 27 is the Marsupial Little Joey chest pack. It’s pretty small and cinches tight. I replace the auto lock buckles with their buckle delete kit, which are lower profile and allow a tighter fit. I still wouldn’t purely run with it, but “fast packing” is fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
D

Dirty-D

Lil-Rokslider
Gunfighters Inc. Kenai is the best option for chest mounted guns I have found besides the HPG kit bags. Have you tried the suspension bungee with the kit bag? Are you married to a big steel gun? Something a little lighter would be a lot easier to keep from bouncing around.
Yes, I actually rigged up my own adjustable heavy shock cord to the kit bag to try to keep it down. It works but has its own problems.

I hear you on the lighter firearm. It is a valid point. This property used to be a lot denser, and a 3” 9mm was enough to make hits inside 30 yards, and it they ran off that was ok. We’ve done lots of clearing in the past 3 years and now I usually see stuff at 50-70 yards and need a little more sight radius and pop to have a chance. If I could get iron sights or a red dot that lined up well on a kimber adirondack I would put that in an Olympic harness and give it a shot.

Kleos

Lil-Rokslider
I don't know why you would cheat on your other holster, but a good chest holster I like for running / backpacking / hunting is hill people gear with a frick trigger guard

*zap*

WKR
Buy a light plate carrier with pals webbing on it and attach a holster to it...you can thighten those up as much as you want if you get the right size.

OP
D

Dirty-D

Lil-Rokslider
No I have the recon bag. I did use some 3/8” shock cord and built a torso strap for the bottom of the bag to keep the bouncing down. I might buy a snubby bag and look at downsizing my pistol. Maybe I’ll buy another Glock 29

rob86jeep

WKR
I doubt you'll find anything better than the HPG for running. I would suggest getting a lighter gun and/or the HPG running bag which comes with stabilizing shock cord. If you you really want to run with a heavy gun, I bet a runners backpack/camel back would be the best way to secure it. You won't have immediate access to it but for 50+ yard shot you may not need immediate access.

slvrslngr

WKR
I use the HPG Recon kit bag and wear my running pack over the top, keeping the kit bag zippers accessible, which stops the bouncing. If I don’t have my pack on, instead of the runners strap, I use a piece of paracord to keep the bag from bouncing. My carry piece is a G29 most of the time.

OP
D

Dirty-D

Lil-Rokslider
I started GunBroker searching Glock 29’s and found the Glock 40… that thing just looks cool! But I will probably downsize the weight of the pistol. 10mm has enough juice for my needs. Just need a smaller package I had. Subcompact Glock in .45 and liked it enough back in the day. A 29 in 10mm should do the trick.

Last edited:
Gunfighters Inc. Kenai is the best option for chest mounted guns I have found besides the HPG kit bags. Have you tried the suspension bungee with the kit bag? Are you married to a big steel gun? Something a little lighter would be a lot easier to keep from bouncing around.
+1 on the Kenai. Wore it in Alaska this past September and will probably use it on all my hunts going forward. Had zero issue placing it below my bino harness so both binos and pistol were very easily accessible.

I run a SW 340 pd in a HPG Snubby and it’s as light and tight as I have found. Some days it’s 12 rounds of buffalo bore solids in the Sig P365 XL.
When packing animals out its the 329pd in a alaskan chest rig. Have not put the 329 in the Recon bag yet. The Recon so far has been for the G20.

I started GunBroker searching Glock 29’s and found the Glock 40… that thing just looks cool! But I will probably downsize the weight of the pistol. 10mm has enough juice for my needs. Just need a smaller package I had. Subcompact Glock in .45 and liked it enough back in the day. A 29 in 10mm should do the trick.
Get a 29 and send off to have slide cut for rmr, small package, big punch, 50+ yrd shots are definitely doable depending on skill

dutch_henry

Lil-Rokslider
My Diamond D had been flawless throughout scrambling and fast descents. Have not tried it on dedicated trail runs though