Chest Holster (Gun)/Bino Holster conflict?

I hunt in some very very griz thick country. Decided to get dedicated to run a handgun in the Kenai chest hoster (Gunfighters Inc.) so it's on me at all times in the backountry, even when the pack comes off. The obvious issue is the akwardness of having a bino harness over the top of the gun. It does work, when set up properly. I can still clear and get a clean draw, but its not a comfortable way to run things. Thought about running the binos in a pocket on the pack belt, but then if you drop the pack, no binos.

Wondering if any of you guys up north (or anywhere) have found a good compromise/solution to this problem, without sacraficing safety.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

I’m not sure this will accommodate what you need to carry, but I absolutely love my kit bag from Hill People Gear. So handy and convenient for hunting, working on the acreage, etc. They are a good small company, everything is the absolute best in material and stitch quality.

Here is a link to their biggest kit bag: https://hillpeoplegear.com/Products/CategoryID/1/ProductID/71

I run the Recon and it is worth every penny to have everything I need right on my chest. Holds my cell phone, a thin battery pack, 10x binos, tag, pen, and some other small items no trouble. Perhaps the bigger model will hold what you need.

Savage99

WKR
I’m not sure this will accommodate what you need to carry, but I absolutely love my kit bag from Hill People Gear. So handy and convenient for hunting, working on the acreage, etc. They are a good small company, everything is the absolute best in material and stitch quality.

Here is a link to their biggest kit bag: https://hillpeoplegear.com/Products/CategoryID/1/ProductID/71

I run the Recon and it is worth every penny to have everything I need right on my chest. Holds my cell phone, a thin battery pack, 10x binos, tag, pen, and some other small items no trouble. Perhaps the bigger model will hold what you need.

Do you have any pictures of how you have it loaded up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I went with the gunfighters inc. Ronin holster with their drop leg setup called the micro aggression panel. I didn't like the idea of too much on my chest, gun and binos. I haven't had it in tge field yet, but wearing it around the house with my pack on I think it's going to be awesome. this setup allows the pistol to ride below your pack belt.

I'm the biggest fan of those who like the chest holster rigs and use them, but that's not me. Binoculars on chest. Sidearm on hip belt. No problems and very simple. I don't believe there's a bit of difference in performance or effectiveness. I get the mass weight off my chest and down to the hip.

During a day-long hunt I'm often adding or dropping top layers such as a puffy jacket, rain jacket or soft shell. Having a binocular harness + holster harness in tandem means more stuff to remove and replace....and maybe readjust when I change. I just prefer a simpler strategy which includes no chest harnesses of any kind.

Do you have any pictures of how you have it loaded up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’m sorry I do not - I’m in the process of selling my house in town and moving to our new acreage so all my gear is packed up. I can put it together and snap a photo quick sometime!

OP
Jake Larsen
Razco may be the answer for me. Thought id throw it up just in case somebody else is interested too.
d1e78f8776641474fbd55c5ed07b100b.jpg

OP
Jake Larsen
Can anyone comment on how it runs with the pack on? Straps ect, stay clear?

Outlaw99

WKR
I really like the razco system with My FHF Bino harness. My second razco just arrived this weekend. I like that I can take my pack on and off and my sidearm remains convenient and accessible

I basically do what the Razco system looks like with my Diamond D holsters. I do not think I would want all the weight on one set of straps. I run AGC bino harness and the Diamond D below and too my left of the harness. The handle of my revolver is right below the bino harness. All that being said, being 6'5" I have more surface area for the chest rigs.

-dan

*zap*

WKR
One thing you might do is leave your pack hip belt slick and get a few dump pouches, a light belt that fastens securely, put the handgun holster on that belt and the belt with the holster and dump pouches over the pack hip belt. Drop your pack and put the belt back on and you have your handgun and contents of the dump pouches on you. I find dump pouches very convenient for many things, hat, gloves, gaiter, water bottle, gps. Binos on the chest is good but much more than that and it gets too bulky for me.

This is my belt set up for ruck hiking.
Clockwise from buckle:
Small pouch that gets my Kahr PM9 in a pocket holster.
Dump pouch that gets two water bottles.
Molle pouch for misc.
Spare mag pouch.
Dump pouch that gets headlamp, gps, gaiter, gloves and sweat towel.
Mag pouch that gets a handheld flashlight.
I prefer concealed handgun for the hiking trails. I use basically the same system for whitetail treestand hunting just with different gear in the pouches and I loose the rear Molle pouch for sitting.

If your using the belt with the pack and without the pack, switching often between the two....you want a belt that adjust to different girths quickly/easily. I switch the belt for hunting when I carry a pack.

I'm curious as well. I just ordered a GS holster Gen 1 to try a bino harness over the chest holster. In a week or two I will let you know what I think of that setup.

OP
Jake Larsen

Beendare

WKR
I'm a big believer in the effectiveness of binos- so those are staying where they are.

I'm also a proponent of practicing- Draw and shoot- with your firearm of choice....and all of my practice is from a belt holster....so its a no brainer for me to pack on a belt.

Edit; Critical factor for a holster is for it to stay in place when you draw....you don't want the holster coming with the pistol...which would be the tendency in the one picture above. You want a rock solid mount...no flopping...and a strap anchored opposite of your draw.

A tight belt holster does all of that.....

Last edited:
OP
Jake Larsen
I'm a big belier in the effectiveness of binos- so those are staying where they are.

I'm also a proponent of practicing- Draw and shoot- with your firearm of choice....and all of my practice is from a belt holster....so its a no brainer for me to pack on a belt.

What do you do around camp? How about when you drop your pack to use the bathroom, or on a call setup? I personally have felt the most vulnerable during these sort of times... Thats been my hesitation to run the gun on the pack belt.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk