Chest Holster (Gun)/Bino Holster conflict?

rvanbw00

What do you do around camp? How about when you drop your pack to use the bathroom, or on a call setup? I personally have felt the most vulnerable during these sort of times... Thats been my hesitation to run the gun on the pack belt.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
I always have a belt on my pants, so if I have to drop my pack (or my drawers), my holster can quickly be transferred from the pack belt to my pants belt.

The fear of the weight of my binos, bino harness, whatever is in my harness, plus a loaded 3.5 lb gun hanging off my chest is my only reservation of going to a chest holster setup. Pam Anderson didnt get a reduction because those puppies were light...

Ag111

This year for AK Im running the Kenai with my Glock 20 and the binos in a 5.11 tactical padded pouch on my pack belt. I mounted a nikon archer ultralight rangefinder and an extra mag pouch on the Kenai. Witha loaded Glock 20 is is 4.4 lbs. I like the concept of the FHF Holster/Bino combo but the weight is just too much for an all-day for 6 days carry solution. Between the gun, rangfinder, and binos I chose to prioritize gun and rangefinder for AK and binos/rangefinder for NM/CO Elk for this year.

Last edited:

Ag111

It is lighter than my 10x42s in the Kuiu bino harness with the rangefinder. For Alaska I figure if im stopping to glass my pack is on the ground and binos are in hand. If im glassing on the move my pack is on my back and binos in the pouch. And if im stalking or in a shooting situation (Archery Caribou) i dont need binos, ive got the rangefinder. Either way the glock never leaves my body and i have the rangefinder easily accessible for hunting. Extra mag just in case.

Attachments

OP
Jake Larsen

Jake Larsen

This year for AK Im running the Kenai with my Glock 20 and the binos in a 5.11 tactical padded pouch on my pack belt. I mounted a nikon archer ultralight rangefinder and an extra mag pouch on the Kenai. Witha loaded Glock 20 is is 4.4 lbs. I like the concept of the FHF Holster/Bino combo but the weight is just too much for an all-day for 6 days carry solution. Between the gun, rangfinder, and binos I chose to prioritize gun and rangefinder for AK and binos/rangefinder for NM/CO Elk for this year.
Thanks for the input! I was slowly arriving at this sort of conclusion myself. I had been looking at sewing some straps onto the back of an alaska guide creations KISS and using malice clips to attach to the belt of my kifaru (the belt has pals matrix). Still get the benifits of a dedicated bino pouch that way, (fast/no-zippered acess/side pockets ect. But good to know of another option.

XMP

Just listening in for the suggestions.

I've got the same problem. I always have a sidearm in a Guide's Choice chest rig. There are too many times where you just won't have it when you take a nature break or a food stop and drop your pack. It's all too easy to talk yourself out of the hassle of swapping the gun off your pack belt.

Beendare

What do you do around camp? How about when you drop your pack to use the bathroom, or on a call setup? I personally have felt the most vulnerable during these sort of times... Thats been my hesitation to run the gun on the pack belt.

Pretty simple solutions.

I have a small loop sewn below the big belt attachment of my holster [it came that way]

So I can remove the holster from my pack belt and transfer to my pants belt if I want to run it that way....or if I am just dropping a deuce...I just take the pistol out of my holster and its within arms reach.

Those chest holsters are fine for fishermen.

TurboSportTSi

Razco may be the answer for me. Thought id throw it up just in case somebody else is interested too.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Thanks for posting this. I've been looking for a solution to this for a while now. I keep my handgun on my pack belt but when the pack is heavy and strapped tight, drawing isn't nearly as smooth or fast as one might think. Prefer it on my chest but don't want to move the binos.

Looks like a slick enough solution to try!

The comment earlier about the realities of swapping a belt holster back and forth has some real validity.

I had thought of running a drop leg rig empty and moving the handgun there when I drop my pack. I think that would work fine unless you are moving through a lot of thick brush.

I did this overseas...swapped from a chest holster on my vest to the drop leg holster, but that was in the desert - worked great in vehicles. Haven't tried it in the woods though, or hiking up hills.

Mk7mmSTW

I second Razco on a FHF mount. I’m the king of dropping my pack for the last 150 to close the gap and I get so tunneled I don’t realize I don’t have my pistol till after the kill/fail. I talked with the owner of Razco after not liking the feel of my gun behind my bino’s, which is like having double D’s on my chest. I rigged up my holster below my harness and wore it bear hunting last month and loved it.
Might help to note, I run 15’s so my bino harness is a XL and I was concerned about the gun being too low but it didn’t bother me at all.
If you send me your cell I’ll text you some Videos/pics I made as there is truly nothing online.

fwafwow

+following

I had decided to go lightweight with my bino setup and picked up a Rick Young harness and to forgo a pistol. I've since changed my mind and want to bring a pistol and am leaning towards a chest rig (but cognizant of Kevin Dill's comments above about changing clothes) - either Kenai or Razco. The pistol I think I'm going to carry is a lightweight 38 (going to CO). Also like the idea of a low riding rig like Mk7mmSTW mentioned.

Woodrow F Call

7X Leather has a good holster setup. It was never in the way when wearing a bino harness. Not sure about the bino chest holsters, but I think it would be adjusted to work without an issue.

mkollman74

Kenai is good. I have started to use the Hill People Gear stuff to carry my G20 and binos. They have a good system.

fwafwow

+following

I had decided to go lightweight with my bino setup and picked up a Rick Young harness and to forgo a pistol. I've since changed my mind and want to bring a pistol and am leaning towards a chest rig (but cognizant of Kevin Dill's comments above about changing clothes) - either Kenai or Razco. The pistol I think I'm going to carry is a lightweight 38 (going to CO). Also like the idea of a low riding rig like Mk7mmSTW mentioned.
Turns out that the folks who are making chest rigs don't offer kydex holsters for the lightweight 38. (I'm not surprised - it's not a typical backcountry gun.) So I can either go this route and carry a heavier pistol, or try to do something else. I contacted Rick Young to see if anyone had tried to attach a pistol to his harness, and he said that it is possible to attach a light pistol and holster to his harness but that I would need to run a cord from the holster to my belt to keep the holster from pulling up (and having to use two hands). Has anyone done this?

Coach529

I am running a Gunfighters Kenai and my FHF bino harness right over the top. I am really happy with how it works, but would love to be able to mount the FHF case right to the Kenai Harness.