Chest Holster (Gun)/Bino Holster conflict?

rvanbw00

FNG
What do you do around camp? How about when you drop your pack to use the bathroom, or on a call setup? I personally have felt the most vulnerable during these sort of times... Thats been my hesitation to run the gun on the pack belt.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

I always have a belt on my pants, so if I have to drop my pack (or my drawers), my holster can quickly be transferred from the pack belt to my pants belt.

The fear of the weight of my binos, bino harness, whatever is in my harness, plus a loaded 3.5 lb gun hanging off my chest is my only reservation of going to a chest holster setup. Pam Anderson didnt get a reduction because those puppies were light...

Ag111

Lil-Rokslider
This year for AK Im running the Kenai with my Glock 20 and the binos in a 5.11 tactical padded pouch on my pack belt. I mounted a nikon archer ultralight rangefinder and an extra mag pouch on the Kenai. Witha loaded Glock 20 is is 4.4 lbs. I like the concept of the FHF Holster/Bino combo but the weight is just too much for an all-day for 6 days carry solution. Between the gun, rangfinder, and binos I chose to prioritize gun and rangefinder for AK and binos/rangefinder for NM/CO Elk for this year.

Last edited:

Ag111

Lil-Rokslider
It is lighter than my 10x42s in the Kuiu bino harness with the rangefinder. For Alaska I figure if im stopping to glass my pack is on the ground and binos are in hand. If im glassing on the move my pack is on my back and binos in the pouch. And if im stalking or in a shooting situation (Archery Caribou) i dont need binos, ive got the rangefinder. Either way the glock never leaves my body and i have the rangefinder easily accessible for hunting. Extra mag just in case.

Attachments

• IMG_1468.jpg
    IMG_1468.jpg
    261 KB · Views: 301
  • IMG_1469.jpg
    IMG_1469.jpg
    183 KB · Views: 258
  • IMG_1470.jpg
    IMG_1470.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 301
  • IMG_8064.JPG
    IMG_8064.JPG
    262.6 KB · Views: 327
OP
Jake Larsen
This year for AK Im running the Kenai with my Glock 20 and the binos in a 5.11 tactical padded pouch on my pack belt. I mounted a nikon archer ultralight rangefinder and an extra mag pouch on the Kenai. Witha loaded Glock 20 is is 4.4 lbs. I like the concept of the FHF Holster/Bino combo but the weight is just too much for an all-day for 6 days carry solution. Between the gun, rangfinder, and binos I chose to prioritize gun and rangefinder for AK and binos/rangefinder for NM/CO Elk for this year.
Thanks for the input! I was slowly arriving at this sort of conclusion myself. I had been looking at sewing some straps onto the back of an alaska guide creations KISS and using malice clips to attach to the belt of my kifaru (the belt has pals matrix). Still get the benifits of a dedicated bino pouch that way, (fast/no-zippered acess/side pockets ect. But good to know of another option.

XMP

FNG
Just listening in for the suggestions.

I've got the same problem. I always have a sidearm in a Guide's Choice chest rig. There are too many times where you just won't have it when you take a nature break or a food stop and drop your pack. It's all too easy to talk yourself out of the hassle of swapping the gun off your pack belt.

Beendare

WKR
What do you do around camp? How about when you drop your pack to use the bathroom, or on a call setup? I personally have felt the most vulnerable during these sort of times... Thats been my hesitation to run the gun on the pack belt.

Pretty simple solutions.

I have a small loop sewn below the big belt attachment of my holster [it came that way]

So I can remove the holster from my pack belt and transfer to my pants belt if I want to run it that way....or if I am just dropping a deuce...I just take the pistol out of my holster and its within arms reach.

Those chest holsters are fine for fishermen.

Razco may be the answer for me. Thought id throw it up just in case somebody else is interested too.
d1e78f8776641474fbd55c5ed07b100b.jpg

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Thanks for posting this. I've been looking for a solution to this for a while now. I keep my handgun on my pack belt but when the pack is heavy and strapped tight, drawing isn't nearly as smooth or fast as one might think. Prefer it on my chest but don't want to move the binos.

Looks like a slick enough solution to try!

The comment earlier about the realities of swapping a belt holster back and forth has some real validity.

I had thought of running a drop leg rig empty and moving the handgun there when I drop my pack. I think that would work fine unless you are moving through a lot of thick brush.

I did this overseas...swapped from a chest holster on my vest to the drop leg holster, but that was in the desert - worked great in vehicles. Haven't tried it in the woods though, or hiking up hills.

Mk7mmSTW

WKR
I second Razco on a FHF mount. I’m the king of dropping my pack for the last 150 to close the gap and I get so tunneled I don’t realize I don’t have my pistol till after the kill/fail. I talked with the owner of Razco after not liking the feel of my gun behind my bino’s, which is like having double D’s on my chest. I rigged up my holster below my harness and wore it bear hunting last month and loved it.
Might help to note, I run 15’s so my bino harness is a XL and I was concerned about the gun being too low but it didn’t bother me at all.
If you send me your cell I’ll text you some Videos/pics I made as there is truly nothing online.

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
+following

I had decided to go lightweight with my bino setup and picked up a Rick Young harness and to forgo a pistol. I've since changed my mind and want to bring a pistol and am leaning towards a chest rig (but cognizant of Kevin Dill's comments above about changing clothes) - either Kenai or Razco. The pistol I think I'm going to carry is a lightweight 38 (going to CO). Also like the idea of a low riding rig like Mk7mmSTW mentioned.

Woodrow F Call

Lil-Rokslider
7X Leather has a good holster setup. It was never in the way when wearing a bino harness. Not sure about the bino chest holsters, but I think it would be adjusted to work without an issue.

Kenai is good. I have started to use the Hill People Gear stuff to carry my G20 and binos. They have a good system.

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
+following

I had decided to go lightweight with my bino setup and picked up a Rick Young harness and to forgo a pistol. I've since changed my mind and want to bring a pistol and am leaning towards a chest rig (but cognizant of Kevin Dill's comments above about changing clothes) - either Kenai or Razco. The pistol I think I'm going to carry is a lightweight 38 (going to CO). Also like the idea of a low riding rig like Mk7mmSTW mentioned.

Turns out that the folks who are making chest rigs don't offer kydex holsters for the lightweight 38. (I'm not surprised - it's not a typical backcountry gun.) So I can either go this route and carry a heavier pistol, or try to do something else. I contacted Rick Young to see if anyone had tried to attach a pistol to his harness, and he said that it is possible to attach a light pistol and holster to his harness but that I would need to run a cord from the holster to my belt to keep the holster from pulling up (and having to use two hands). Has anyone done this?

Coach529

Lil-Rokslider
I am running a Gunfighters Kenai and my FHF bino harness right over the top. I am really happy with how it works, but would love to be able to mount the FHF case right to the Kenai Harness.

Sleorna

Lil-Rokslider
Sometimes you gotta build it yourself to get what you really want. This may not be pretty but I can say it works exactly how I want it to. I could never find anything like it. Bought stuff to do my own kydex holsters on Amazon for less than $100 (enough to do about 5 holsters) and strapped one to the back of AGC Kodiak Cub max. Now my sidearm is always accessable and never leaves my body no matter what when I'm out and about. Sidearm is a Glock 29 with light/laser and extra mag.

Attachments

• KIMG1797.JPG
    KIMG1797.JPG
    188.7 KB · Views: 198

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
Sometimes you gotta build it yourself to get what you really want. This may not be pretty but I can say it works exactly how I want it to. I could never find anything like it. Bought stuff to do my own kydex holsters on Amazon for less than $100 (enough to do about 5 holsters) and strapped one to the back of AGC Kodiak Cub max. Now my sidearm is always accessable and never leaves my body no matter what when I'm out and about. Sidearm is a Glock 29 with light/laser and extra mag.
Any chance you can post more pics, d tell us how hard learning the Kydex process was? I've got a Marsupial and would really like to have my pistol behind or otherwise attached to it.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Sleorna

Lil-Rokslider
Any chance you can post more pics, d tell us how hard learning the Kydex process was? I've got a Marsupial and would really like to have my pistol behind or otherwise attached to it.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Here's a few more angles of my harness setup. Kydex building was very easy if your goal is function not fashion and very economical. I just used thermofoam glued to scrap plywood and stood on it until the kydex set (about 1-2min). No need for fancy press or vacuum. I used my toaster oven to heat the kydex sheet (I've also just used our normal oven). Jig saw or razor to cut. Bench grinder or Dremel to finish. Components are cheap and readily available on Amazon (eyelets, punch, rubber fuel hose, Chicago screws, etc.) As well as the supplies mentioned above. Hope that helps. Out of all my gear, my harness is the one thing that I've spent the most time trying to customize to what works best for me.

Attachments

• KIMG1799.JPG
    KIMG1799.JPG
    138.7 KB · Views: 191
  • KIMG1798.JPG
    KIMG1798.JPG
    177.5 KB · Views: 178

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've been impressed with my FHF/Razco combo- comfortable, easy access to my handgun and when you dump your pack- the bino harness/holster remains on your person

3TipFxO.jpg

4ester

WKR
I wanted to like the chest holsters, but the idea of sweeping your buddy with one in the tube and no safety kinda turned me off.

Sticking to the pack mounted waist holster for me.