Chest Holster Questions

Hey all,
I have a 329pd I have kept on my hip for years the past few seasons hunting elk in grizzly country. Im comfortable with it there but I am thinking I would like to move to a chest rig for a few reasons. I've tried to research here but still had a few questions: 1) as a bowhunter, im pretty dependent on a bino harness. Is it practical to run a chest rig underneath? Seems like some adjustments to the bino harness but otherwise would be fine. I don't think I want a bino harness attachment either. 2) Any major differences between the Kenai Chest Holster and the NW Retention Systems Scout? Both look very comparable but didnt know of any pros/cons of one over the other. I am going to Kodiak for deer in 2023 and would like to dial this system in during the next couple hunting seasons prior to going.

Thanks to you all in advance for any insight and guidance here. Much appreciated.

Hill People Gear chest rig with bino harness. Can be fast draw if you practice. I know they are out of stock at the moment, but you can find them in the classifieds sometime. They have. Facebook group that you can get used gear from others also.

I'll be the dissenting opinion - I have a G40 and kenai chest holder. I don't like it much without a bino harness but like it even less with a bino harness.

I know my glock isn't going to spontaneously fire in the holster but I cant get over the muzzle frequently pointing into my body and flagging people beside me.

A g40 isn't the smallest but it's just too much on my chest for my liking when combined with binos. It's bad enough taking a bino harness off every time you change layers, adding another harness is just a hassle. I could practice a bunch but don't think I'd get to drawing as fast as I could from my hip and I already have the built in muscle memory there so that is nice.

All of these folks are talking about Glocks. You have a wheelgun. The cylinder is uncomfortable poking into your sternum all day. Check out the Diamond D Leather Guide's Choice Holster. You can move it around a lot so it is a little lower than most folks wear it, and slide it off of the center of your body if you want to. This is a S&W 629 in mine fishing on the Russian River. I wore it low so it didn't interfere with my backpack straps walking to and from the river with a pack full of sockeyes. My niece wasn't thrilled about having to hold up her fish for the picture.

Attachments

• holster.jpg
    holster.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 74

Sadler

WKR
Check out alien gears new chest holster (at least I think it’s new) I’ve used it at work for a couple weeks now and having it under my marsupial gear bino harness is t bad at all. Plus it’s about $60 cheaper than the others

robtattoo

WKR
I carry a big, heavy, uncomfortable lump of shit ruger Blackhawk .44 in an Alaris Tactical, Kodiak chest rig. Is it comfortable? I mean, it's not Fred Roger's cardigan, but I can manage it. It's awful between my chest & a bino harness, but beneath a harness, on the flat, top of my belly? Oh YEEEEAAHHHHH...... I literally don't notice it.

Honestly, if you're talking about belting 2-3lb of steel to you, it's never going to be 'comfortable'. Ever. Anywhere. The best it'll be is manageable. A chest holster is hands down the most manageable carry location, unless you're good with a cowboy style, low slung hip holster. Because that shit is coooooomfortable!

I had the Diamond D Guide’s Choice leather chest holster for 5-6 years when I carried a Ruger Super Alaskan in .454 Casull. For what it was, it was really comfortable and carried the weight of the big Ruger revolver well.

Now I have a Glock 20 10mm in a Gunfighter’s Inc. Kenai chest holster and don't really give it much thought. It’s comfortable under a bino harness, pack straps, and over waders when I’m fishing. I’m really happy with it and consider it one of the better products out there.

I wouldn‘t hesitate to get another Diamond D rig if I had a revolver. But I’d really recommend the GFI Kenai for a semi auto or revolver. Both are superb quality and do a great job of retaining a pistol. Personally, I think kydex retains a little better and offers me a quicker/smoother draw. Good luck!

Last edited:

kid44

Lil-Rokslider
Hey all,
I have a 329pd I have kept on my hip for years the past few seasons hunting elk in grizzly country. Im comfortable with it there but I am thinking I would like to move to a chest rig for a few reasons. I've tried to research here but still had a few questions: 1) as a bowhunter, im pretty dependent on a bino harness. Is it practical to run a chest rig underneath? Seems like some adjustments to the bino harness but otherwise would be fine. I don't think I want a bino harness attachment either. 2) Any major differences between the Kenai Chest Holster and the NW Retention Systems Scout? Both look very comparable but didnt know of any pros/cons of one over the other. I am going to Kodiak for deer in 2023 and would like to dial this system in during the next couple hunting seasons prior to going.

Thanks to you all in advance for any insight and guidance here. Much appreciated.
Not being a fan of plastic or nylon I use a Guide's Choice from Diamond D Leather. Can't find anything to not like about it.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
All of these folks are talking about Glocks. You have a wheelgun. The cylinder is uncomfortable poking into your sternum all day. Check out the Diamond D Leather Guide's Choice Holster. You can move it around a lot so it is a little lower than most folks wear it, and slide it off of the center of your body if you want to. This is a S&W 629 in mine fishing on the Russian River. I wore it low so it didn't interfere with my backpack straps walking to and from the river with a pack full of sockeyes. My niece wasn't thrilled about having to hold up her fish for the picture.

I have one of those for my redhawk 44. It’s good but when I wear a backpack I can’t find a way to make it not squeak under the pack. It’s pretty annoying although it does a good job of carrying the weight of the gun.