Chest rig for hunting.

I mentioned this in another post and someone asked for pics.

I started with an Fhf bino harness and added a range finder pocket. I hand a lot of stuff in my pants pockets and no place to put my phone and gps so I started to play with this idea. The base rig is a blue force gear rack minus that weighs about 8oz. Their is a ranger finder pouch from Fhf with a vortex 1000. Fhf bino harness with home brew camp that holds vortex Binos. Admin pouch is from mil spec monkey. Holds possibles, gps, and phone.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Looks good.....back when I first started hunting in the mountains I used an old military H harness which was the same basic concept except this puts your stuff in front and is easier to get to. Have you hunted with this set up yet?

OP
Desk Jockey
Yes. I "evolved" it over last year. This configuration has about a half dozen white tail bow and rifle hunts on it and 2-3 scouting trips. It is worth mentioning that these are eastern deer hunts in PA and NY but not stand sitting. Still hunting covering 2-6 miles a day. I wear a day pack if I am not hauling a climber stand so probably have more gear in this rig than someone who wears a larger pack with hip belt pockets.

I also clipped a hand warmer to the bottom in late season last year. The bees knees for keeping my hands warm without bulky gloves.

OP
Desk Jockey
how well does the FHF hold dust out?

It is more open than the ACG version for sure, which is my only comparison. I keep a lens cloth in the front zipper pocket and clean up the lenses every now and then. If I were storming through dry terrain on an ATV or something and kicking up clouds of dust it might be an issue. As it is I haven't gotten too much crud on the Binos

freshta

WKR
Awesome idea. I've been kicking something like this around in my head for a while. I always wondered why no one out there made a vest like Primos' Bowhunter's Vest except top expedition quality. I think you're on to something. Does it work well with a pack on?

OP
Desk Jockey
Awesome idea. I've been kicking something like this around in my head for a while. I always wondered why no one out there made a vest like Primos' Bowhunter's Vest except top expedition quality. I think you're on to something. Does it work well with a pack on?

It works fine with a pack. Rack type chest rigs are much better with packs than belt and harness types. Sits above the hip belt and below the chest strap, if you use one. Back part of harness is very low profile. Shoulder straps are fine. I will try to take pics wearing it.

Yeah the BFG rackminus is good stuff. The shoulder straps are very low pro and fit great under a pack.
0203131135.jpg

freshta

WKR
Desk Jockey, attachments don't load. rhunter424 thanks for the pic. I'm definitely gonna have a rig like this before my CO trip this Sept.

OP
Desk Jockey
image.jpgimage.jpg

Trying again. I am a bit of a dunce.

You can adjust load height base on preference. I have mine riding a bit low so it doesn't interfere with gun stock placement on my right or bow draw on the left.

I have used an HPG kitbag but it was too wide as well as a Kifaru koala and koala lite. So I switched to a Kifaru 1000d organizer and made shoulder straps for it. It wasn't bad, but binos made it a tight fit. I normally run an FHF gear bino harness but wanted "more". Recently I switched to the chest rig FHF gear has for their fly fishing customers and it's working out really well. I've used it everyday for three weeks at work and it hasn't gotten in the way once. It carries nicely and holds everything I need.

My 2 biggest gripes w/ the Kifaru koala variants are how wide it is and the x-harness was very uncomfortable.

The BFG rack-minus is very comfortable, modular and comes in a variety of sizes and colors.

quent

Lil-Rokslider
i've been thinking about this for a few years my self and decided to go ahead and put this together for next year. this season was a pain in the ass with my LRF, binos, GPS, side arm, etc attached to my waist belt on my MR pack. shit was hard to get to etc. only thing i need is a bino pouch with MOLLE. can't really find anything decent and i really don't wanna pay 100 bucks for a bino harness from fhf or acg when i have a TT rack and pouches and would be modifying it to fit on my rack. all i need is a pouch. seems like it'll have to a DIY modification for the pouch. anyone have any recommendations? luckily i have my tactical tailor rack from when i was in the army so the bino pouch is the only hiccup right now.

OP
Desk Jockey
I have a padded sleeve that is made for Nvgs that I can slip into a belt pouch that pads the Binos. After a few months of use, I would say the hook / bungee closures in the Bino pouches are hard to pas up. A company called Tyr tactical makes a dedicated nvg pouch that will hold a med set of Binos.