chest rig...

Burnt Reynolds

Lil-Rokslider
For years I've settled for having regular use items (range finder, gps, binos, etc) in a smattering of bino carriers, pants or pack pockets or on my pack hip belts. The myriad of locations gets frustrating. Particularly when I need to drop my pack for a stalk or even a #2. Then, the other night as I was getting my kit together to shoot my AR the next day I was handling my chest rig for that platform and it struck me that I could do the same for hunting.

Light weight, versatile, durable - Enter Blue Force Gear.

I'm still ironing out the final setup but it works EXCELLENT! Great with either my big pack or day pack, on foot or on my mtn bike. Scouting or plinking, you name it. I'm very satisfied and kicking myself for not doing this sooner. Ease of use for rifle or archery is easy easy...

I had to sacrifice one of my Kuiu bino harness strap bits but it was worth it.

From Left to Right: Vortex range finder, BFG small pouch (calls, booboo kit, extra ammo, etc), Kuiu bino case, BFG double M4 pouch, BFG tourniquet NOW. Chest rig is BFG split minus.

Just thought I'd throw this out there if someone else was having similar issues...

Attachments

• hunt chest rig (2).jpg
    hunt chest rig (2).jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 539
I've been running various chest rigs for work and hunting over the last twenty years. They are handy, but like a pack, you can get out of control and carry junk than you'll ever need.

OP
B

Burnt Reynolds

Lil-Rokslider
So true. My M4 chest rig started out years ago probably weighing more than my plate carrier. Light & fast are the lessons I've learned since then.

I run a rackminus with a bino pouch, admin pouch and range finder.

My buddy snickered the first time he saw it. By the end of the hunt he wants me to put one together for him.

WKR
I use a chest rig for work (flight Medic) and will never go back. Carry my personal survival gear in a vac sealed bag in the sleeve where the plate would go and then a big fold out pouch and radio pocket on the outside.

Have been seriously considering doing something similar for hunting.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

OP
B

Burnt Reynolds

Lil-Rokslider
I use a chest rig for work (flight Medic) and will never go back. Carry my personal survival gear in a vac sealed bag in the sleeve where the plate would go and then a big fold out pouch and radio pocket on the outside.

Have been seriously considering doing something similar for hunting.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Do it!

TheCougar

WKR
So how exactly are you attaching your bino pouches to PALs? Then, once the pouch is on the PALS, how are you running the straps that hold the binos around your neck? Are you just sewing them to the shoulder straps? I'd be interested to learn specifically how you are doing this. Thanks.

I used an fhf harness. I rigged a strap on the top and tied the bottom with 550 cord. The range finder pouch is also tied in with 550. You can see the tie in in the middle picture at the top of this other thread. Lower in the thread are pics of me wearing it. The blue force rig that I use is called a rackminus and it is more like a lattice than traditional molle platforms.

http://www.rokslide.com/forums/gear/47088-chest-rig-hunting.html?highlight=Chest+blue+force

As far as the straps, I use a bungee lanyard on the Binos instead. $10 on Fhf. I could use the fhf retention straps if I wanted but don't. The bungee is basically just a dummy cord to keep the Binos from hitting the ground if I drop them.

OP
B

Burnt Reynolds

Lil-Rokslider
So how exactly are you attaching your bino pouches to PALs? Then, once the pouch is on the PALS, how are you running the straps that hold the binos around your neck? Are you just sewing them to the shoulder straps? I'd be interested to learn specifically how you are doing this. Thanks.

The bottom portion of the bino carrier is attached via zip ties. Not the most elegant solution but works solidly until I can come up with something better. The top portion of the kuiu carrier is where I had to sacrifice the straps from the Kuiu harness. They are simply woven through the chest strap on the BFG and secured with electricians tape. I'll get some better pics. It's really clean all around.

If you're not familiar with the Kuiu bino carrier it's actually a little over rated in my opinion in terms of function (I get there's a light weight component which limits design options and all that). With binos installed there's the strap that clips to the bino carrier then goes around your torso then up your back to a "junction" so to speak. From there straps go over your shoulder and clip to straps that are attached to your binos, when you're using the kuiu harness and take the binos out to look at something the carrier doesn't stay put. I cut the shoulder straps that originate at the junction. Now the carrier stays put, I can easily detach just my binos if desired to.

CodyAK

FNG
My rack at work is pretty heavy also. I was looking towards a mini chest rig with a decent sized pouch for binos and rangefinder. But my wife bought me the big AGC bino pack. But that is a very slick set up.

TheCougar

WKR
Sweet, thanks for sharing. I'm running the kuiu harness right now (modified). I just wish I had a good way to attach the rangefinder pouch and maybe another pocket or two. The little elastic side pockets are kind of worthless to me.

OP
B

Burnt Reynolds

Lil-Rokslider
Here's some close ups of how I routed the kuiu harness straps I cut.

I shot all weekend getting my pins dialed and broadheads tuned on my new bow - wore the kit the whole time and quite happy with it.

Attachments

• chest rig 1.jpg
    chest rig 1.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 149
  • chest rig 2.jpg
    chest rig 2.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 139
Last edited:
Most of time I use bullet proof chest rings during hunting also. That is one of my choice.

condor-plate-carrier.jpg

This is best tactical plate carrier for hunting that i use. I saw a great blog review some cool stuff https://www.platecarrierplanet.com/best-tactical-plate-carrier-hunting-paintball-reviews/ I hope you like it.

I’ve been running a Spiritus System micro cheat rig lately for my binos. Worked really well with 10x42’s. My 15x50’s fit, but it’s not as comfy. E423579E-9138-4EAF-AAA3-2CDFF3137305.jpeg

The bottom portion of the bino carrier is attached via zip ties. Not the most elegant solution but works solidly until I can come up with something better. The top portion of the kuiu carrier is where I had to sacrifice the straps from the Kuiu harness. They are simply woven through the chest strap on the BFG and secured with electricians tape. I'll get some better pics. It's really clean all around.

If you're not familiar with the Kuiu bino carrier it's actually a little over rated in my opinion in terms of function (I get there's a light weight component which limits design options and all that). With binos installed there's the strap that clips to the bino carrier then goes around your torso then up your back to a "junction" so to speak. From there straps go over your shoulder and clip to straps that are attached to your binos, when you're using the kuiu harness and take the binos out to look at something the carrier doesn't stay put. I cut the shoulder straps that originate at the junction. Now the carrier stays put, I can easily detach just my binos if desired to.
If you use gaffers tape it doesn’t leave a residue behind and it is more fabric. It’s what I use to attach gear like my kbar to my shoulder straps. I buy it at guitar center but I’m sure any music store or amazon has it. It’s used to tape guitar cables and shit down to the stage. It’s a little pricy but it’s the size of a roll of duct tape. I also use it to quiet gear down. I put it on my my ex holster and metal clips on my sling to stop the noise.