Cheyenne and Laramie

sndmn11

WKR
There are a few stretches in between FOCO and Denver that most days you will be going 5-20mph, even on weekends. Some days things are fine, most days a bad merge happens and things are screwed for awhile.

I'm from northern WY, and the weather down there is a whole new level. My advice is don't do it. All winter long the local news is reporting closures on I 80 and 25

Sent from my IN2019 using Tapatalk

I used to drive from Arvada up to FC and Cheyenne to shoot my bow in the early 2000s, no issue it was quick. Now? Driving I-25 is a nightmare beyond belief. I could see a once a week drive not being so bad, but Cheyenne? Laramie? I get the hunting thing, but quality of life for me comes first. And neither of those places appeal to me. If you go that route, get a rental for a year so when your wife decides she’s had enough, it won’t be a tough move back down to Colorado.

I also don’t really see what WY has over Colorado in terms of hunting opportunities. Sure the WA thing but Colorado hunting is far from horrible.

cnelk

WKR
So it’s not uncommon for the road between Cheyenne and Denver to shut down? What about 85 on the east side to get to Denver Intl?

I25 will close between Wellington and Cheyenne quite often.

Between Wellington and Denver not so much. Just tons of traffic accidents - each and every day

CoStick

WKR
I got hired by a company in Denver. I have the luxury of being able to commute within a 2 hour radius and I’d love to make it into Wyoming. Cheyenne and Laramie are the only two towns that are realistic. It’s a bit of a hard sell for the wife. What are the redeeming qualities of those towns? I’ve shown my wife pictures and houses and she isn’t impressed. The highest selling point I’ve found so far is how conservative WY is…. We would need to live within 20 minutes of the town so she and the kids have access to church, sports, school, stores, etc. looking to find some place with a little topography and maybe even a tree or two. Also, how bad do the roads get between both towns and Denver?
That stretch of I25 is the worst traffic in Colorado with new subdivisions being built the whole way. Took me 3 hrs highlands ranch to Fort Collins a couple Friday afternoons ago.

sndmn11

WKR
That stretch of I25 is the worst traffic in Colorado with new subdivisions being built the whole way. Took me 3 hrs highlands ranch to Fort Collins a couple Friday afternoons ago.

I'ma take a wild guess and say that was probably pre-rush hour "afternoon" as well?

brimow

Lil-Rokslider
My wife commutes from FTC to Tie Siding/Laramie on 287. During the winter there is realistically about 2-3 days a week that they will close 287 somewhere along the route. Remember "winter" is Oct - May along 287. As cnelk mentioned, it is also constantly ranked as one of the deadliest sections of hwy in the US. This past year alone has been horrible. Laramie to Cheyenne on 80 is a big gamble and they close it in a heartbeat. As everyone has mentioned I25 is a joke. Spent 2.5 hours yesterday afternoon to get to Denver from FTC but granted, it was raining!

I also don’t really see what WY has over Colorado in terms of hunting opportunities. Sure the WA thing but Colorado hunting is far from horrible.

For residents? WY General Elk tags, OTC region G/H MD tags, a truck load worth of antelope tags.

Idk your 2a situation but it would be illegal for me to live in Colorado with the laws they just passed.
As far as I know.
I wouldn't even consider that place.

Ratbeetle

WKR
Just move to CO. We need all the help we can get countering the lefty loons. I'm just north of 470 and I25. Take the tollway south several days a week...easy 30 minute drive to DIA.

WKR
I got hired by a company in Denver. I have the luxury of being able to commute within a 2 hour radius and I’d love to make it into Wyoming. Cheyenne and Laramie are the only two towns that are realistic. It’s a bit of a hard sell for the wife. What are the redeeming qualities of those towns? I’ve shown my wife pictures and houses and she isn’t impressed. The highest selling point I’ve found so far is how conservative WY is…. We would need to live within 20 minutes of the town so she and the kids have access to church, sports, school, stores, etc. looking to find some place with a little topography and maybe even a tree or two. Also, how bad do the roads get between both towns and Denver?
I'm sure your wife will be much happier in Colorado. If she "isn't impressed" then WY probably isn't for her.

Cheyenne is just a plains town.

Laramie has more aesthetic appeal and character, but also more winter and you have college kids to deal with and a much more liberal population in general (#2 most liberal town in WY next to Jackson).

The wind mostly keeps out those with low levels of mental fortitude. It blows most from November to May, but the summers are actually really nice and not very windy at all.

I25 trafffic is formidable, and will suck up a lot of time unless your company would foot the bill for you to fly out of Cheyenne to Denver.

Interstate closures have become more frequent due to all the lawsuits WYDOT had to deal with. Too many lawyers, too little personal responsibility.