Cheyenne and Laramie

def90

WKR
Colorado just removed the state firearms pre-emption law so if you enjoy firearms of all type stay out of Colorado, every city along I25 from FtC to Denver will be making you a criminal by the end of the summer.

sndmn11

WKR
In regards to Mule Deer, you feel the 0-1 pt tags in CO are better than being able to hunt both archery and rifle season every year in region G/H in WY? I get that the breadth and depth of higher end LE tags in CO is better but i was thinking about the every year opportunity. I'm not a mule deer guy so this convo interests me.
Yes, there are public land tags that were on the second draw list and will likely be on the leftover list that have everything it takes to produce for the public land hunter except for the glamour.

If I were @TheCougar, I would bank on Dr. Googles saying Cheyenne to DIA is 1h45m and hammer that home to whoever has to be the nail. Maybe there is something south of Cheyenne in between I25 and US85. Otherwise, I would look to Bailey, Sedalia, Berthoud, if you want to be more rural, or any of the west side suburbs of Denver or NW Co Springs.

Goatboy22

FNG
I've been a resident in both states. Wyoming beats Colorado with antelope and general length of big game seasons. I can't hunt long seasons anyway though due to working and raising a family. I can kill an elk and a deer every year in Colorado with crappy tags and short seasons though, and grow tomatoes as big as my head where I live on the western slope. Taxes are a wash with the high property taxes in Wyoming and vehicle registrations, etc. Get over the politics and live your life. Rich Texans and New Yorkers screwed up Colorado long before Californians. The right is just as crazy as the left. I own more guns in Colorado than I did in Wyoming, due to the fact I make more money and can afford more now. Keep in mind I would live in Tonopah Nevada before I would ever live on the Front Range, or the Wasatch Front, or Boise for that matter! I consider Cheyenne part of the front range. Try and be happy where you are! Your opinion may vary.......

Roughout

FNG
Spent a summer living in Cheyenne, frequented Laramie for business. Nothing you haven’t heard, but often our crews would be be delayed due to road closures.

From my experience, Laramie gets you closer to your goals. It is a college town, so likely heading more left. Lots of rodeo, football and athletics, community, etc. I could wholly miss the bus here, but I never got much of a community feel in Cheyenne. Lots of short term residence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ranger 692

Lil-Rokslider
I drive from Sheridan to Evergreen a few times a month. Wellington to north Denver is a giant dumpster fire, always. No way would I do the commute from Cheyenne daily. I25 is a mix of high people going 30 mph under the speed limit and everybody else in CO that drives 30 over. Lots of angry drivers too. Not the same state I went to college in 25 years ago.

Back in early 2000s wife and I were otw back to IA after completing the "loop" back when I was IT for Kum & Go convenience stores. Took I29 to I90 hitting all the stores in IA, SD, and WY along the way to Buffalo. Headed west across to Cody, south through the park, and on south to Jackson, hitting the stores in Afton, Kemmerer, and eventually to I80 and back east. If I recall it was late October, and when we got around Elk Mountain, the weather man was forecasting "flurries" and "light/variable" winds. Shortly after we got over the grade east of Laramie the storm hit. It had been over a week since we'd left IA and we were wanting to get as far as we could. I want to say we were near Buford when the wind started driving the snow so hard it was a near 100% whiteout in the middle of the day and looked like night. The only way I could see anything to orient us was to get as close as possible to the the back end of a semi trailer so I could see his clearance lights. Even then every so often they'd disappear completely, and the crunch of gravel from the shoulder was the only indication of our being too far one way or the other. When we finally arrived in Cheyenn, we found a La Quinta that had rooms available, and I80 was closed for the next 2 days. I've never been more terrified in my life.

BuzzH

WKR
Back in early 2000s wife and I were otw back to IA after completing the "loop" back when I was IT for Kum & Go convenience stores. Took I29 to I90 hitting all the stores in IA, SD, and WY along the way to Buffalo. Headed west across to Cody, south through the park, and on south to Jackson, hitting the stores in Afton, Kemmerer, and eventually to I80 and back east. If I recall it was late October, and when we got around Elk Mountain, the weather man was forecasting "flurries" and "light/variable" winds. Shortly after we got over the grade east of Laramie the storm hit. It had been over a week since we'd left IA and we were wanting to get as far as we could. I want to say we were near Buford when the wind started driving the snow so hard it was a near 100% whiteout in the middle of the day and looked like night. The only way I could see anything to orient us was to get as close as possible to the the back end of a semi trailer so I could see his clearance lights. Even then every so often they'd disappear completely, and the crunch of gravel from the shoulder was the only indication of our being too far one way or the other. When we finally arrived in Cheyenn, we found a La Quinta that had rooms available, and I80 was closed for the next 2 days. I've never been more terrified in my life.
Took this looking off the back deck of the doublewide just a few minutes ago, just another nice mid-May morning in Laramie...

IMG_20220520_091507295.jpg

Miboy86

Lil-Rokslider
sounds like my trip to idaho last year. right as i got to the wyoming border the snow started falling, got gas im cheyenne and kept rolling, by the time i got to laramie it was whiteout and i was following a semi with its flashers on, we were probably going 10 mph. the plow truck driver and state troopers at laramie were the only ones on the road. ended up sittimg in one of the truck stop parking lots for 12 hours till the highway reopened.

Well glad I’m reading this thread, I was considering getting a commuter airline gig out of Denver once I retire from the Army Guard and commuting from Wyoming.

Scratch that plan!

Sounds like living off my pensions and hunting all the time will be a better option.😉

Split the difference and move to Greeley. Weld County is conservative. We've got a great church and community in Greeley. And you can take 85 or kersey road to Denver and skip i25

I've been a resident in both states. Wyoming beats Colorado with antelope and general length of big game seasons. I can't hunt long seasons anyway though due to working and raising a family. I can kill an elk and a deer every year in Colorado with crappy tags and short seasons though, and grow tomatoes as big as my head where I live on the western slope. Taxes are a wash with the high property taxes in Wyoming and vehicle registrations, etc. Get over the politics and live your life. Rich Texans and New Yorkers screwed up Colorado long before Californians. The right is just as crazy as the left. I own more guns in Colorado than I did in Wyoming, due to the fact I make more money and can afford more now. Keep in mind I would live in Tonopah Nevada before I would ever live on the Front Range, or the Wasatch Front, or Boise for that matter! I consider Cheyenne part of the front range. Try and be happy where you are! Your opinion may vary.......
This is some wisdom

tdhanses

WKR
I’ll elaborate… I would be driving to Denver Int’l maybe once per week, at differing times, year round. I would use the toll road around Denver to avoid the city. I’ve seen the road north of Cheyenne during an October snowstorm, and that was by far the scariest drive I’ve ever done. We have looked into the area around Denver as well, but we hate the politics, the crowds, and the hunting “land of milk and honey” is just over the border.
I did that drive last year going out to hunt WY, I wouldn’t want to do it daily but if one day a week was the requirement it wouldn’t be an issue living in Laramie, I personally would pick Laramie.

6.5Express

Lil-Rokslider
Understand that when people say it's windy in Wyoming, especially the southeast corner of the state, several days of sustained 60-70 mph winds with gusts spproaching 100 mph are not uncommon. Other places, this phenomenon is referred to as a hurricane. We just add snow and lack of services.

So it’s not uncommon for the road between Cheyenne and Denver to shut down? What about 85 on the east side to get to Denver Intl?
I'm from Cheyenne, went to school in Laramie. I-25 doesn't get closed very often. Obviously, if you were in Laramie you'd take 287 to Fort Collins, which can get a little sketch in the winter. The surge in Wyoming Real Estate prices are so comparable to Colorado I wouldn't rule out rural Colorado (Larimer/Weld County). Then you'd be in-between the Med Bow and Arapahoe Roosevelt NF.