Cheyenne Bottoms, KS

jsr34c

FNG
Anybody duck hunted Cheyenne Bottoms in Kansas before? I've been wanting to do a 5 day hunt out that way for quite some time. How is it? Crowded?

*zap*

WKR
Everything around here is flooded with limited access. Not sure about that area but I would find out before planning a trip.

FURMAN

WKR
This years rains most likely killed or did not allow the vegetation to grow for the birds. I would check with the biologist before going regardless. In the past the marsh is usually very packed. If the birds are there you can usually find a spot to hunt but you may not have the space you desire.

I've heard of people sleeping in the marsh at night to reserve their spot on opening morning, due to the crowds. That's all I'll say about that.

If you can wait and don’t have to hunt opening week it’s usually great hunting! Like everything else jam packed on the opener and then dies off

OP
J

jsr34c

FNG
It's the same where I hunt. I'm planning on a mid/late december trip during the week. I've got a 18' boat with a blind.

OP
J

jsr34c

FNG
My boat is 18', flat bottom, 6' wide...would that do well out there or should i look at a kayak type hunting situation?

Nothing like working birds in and the guys next you to taking passing shots. That's pretty much the case for all the big reservoir duck hunting places in KS, in my experience at least.

kscowboy01

Lil-Rokslider
Dos is right. Lots of sky-blasting from neighboring hunters. With all the rains, it could be interesting what vegetation is available, as stated. Not to mention, there are a lot of other areas that may hold a lot of water and pull some birds away. Last time I was there, I was on the firing line with a customer shooting geese. I don't like pass shooting but that's what he wanted to do, so we went. It was lights out. Unfortunately, the Whooping Cranes were in the area and snows were off limits. We could've killed a pile of them.

*zap*

WKR
There are some smaller marshes that a guy could hunt, but it is all going to come down to what the water level is when you hunt. If the lakes are still flooded there will be flooded timber hunting available, if you can get the boat in.

Definitely wouldn’t hunt the opener. Would try and hunt during the week as much as possible. The reservoirs in North East KS are holding a huge amount of water still. Almost all the ramps are closed. I’ve had lots of successful scouting trips the last few weeks. I launch my boat right on flooded roadways. It’s going to keep raining though, and if a hurricane comes up into the gulf we will have even more. Anyone have any good primers on hunting timber?

Attachments

• 55A7CA3B-4B82-4820-80A6-D41E48C3FAC5.jpeg
    55A7CA3B-4B82-4820-80A6-D41E48C3FAC5.jpeg
    482.2 KB · Views: 8