Chichagof Island mid November

AkReaper

FNG
Going to stay at the Kook Lake cabin for a week mid November. I haven't been before but the guys I'm going with have been there 1 or 2 times. Any insight, advice, tips?

TIA

slvrslngr

WKR
Bring your rain gear, the real kind, not the stuff that supposedly "breathes". And be prepared to stay longer than planned. Have fun, some nice country there if the rain gives you a break.

OP
A

AkReaper

FNG
Bring your rain gear, the real kind, not the stuff that supposedly "breathes". And be prepared to stay longer than planned. Have fun, some nice country there if the rain gives you a break.
I use HH Impertech hoping that'll keep me dry enough

OP
A

AkReaper

FNG
Anyone know what the black bear situation is like here? I know there's quite a bit of brownies there.

chucko

FNG
There are no black bears just coastal brown bears.(the real big ones) Look into getting a bicycle in there it would greatly open up your hunting area I have hunted that area with a bike and even if you have to push it you can haul multiple deer on it down the road. Do not forget a grunt call everybody blows on a bleat call but I have had great success with a grunt call I use a old wooden Lohman duck call and lightly grunt thru it you can also use to scrape on a tree sounds weird but it works for me.

slvrslngr

WKR
Yup, no black bears on the ABC (Admiralty, Baranof, Chichagof) islands. The brownies will likely still be out and about so be careful when calling, gutting and hauling deer.

OP
A

AkReaper

FNG
There are no black bears just coastal brown bears.(the real big ones) Look into getting a bicycle in there it would greatly open up your hunting area I have hunted that area with a bike and even if you have to push it you can haul multiple deer on it down the road. Do not forget a grunt call everybody blows on a bleat call but I have had great success with a grunt call I use a old wooden Lohman duck call and lightly grunt thru it you can also use to scrape on a tree sounds weird but it works for me.
I was gonna bring a old grunt call I have and a bleat I got from my kids