Chichagof vs Prince of Wales (sitka deer)

dmdude

FNG
Chichagof vs Prince of Wales for backpack hunting(5ish days), which would you recommend?
Planning on September of next year but may push back to October to be closer to rut.

POW has a better road system which is both a blessing and a curse. All easy access will likely have footprints. Are you in state? Out? What is your travel budget?

OP
D

dmdude

FNG
I am coming from out of state. Budget, no budget really, I just like hunting without a guide. I have plenty backpacking experience.

Population on POW is down, but residents on Chichagof are trying to make it off limits to non-federally qualified hunters because they say the same. You can rent a vehicle from DJ and drive all around and camp wherever. I am not sure Chichagof provides that freedom. If you have the time, wherewithal and don't mind driving and exploring, POW might be the one for you. Fly into Ketchikan and either take the ferry to Hollis and get your vehicle there ( you'll have to make reservations to have the vehicle dropped. There is nothing in Hollis) or fly over to Klawock using Island Air and pick up your vehicle there. Friendly community. Put a few bucks in the local community and enjoy the experience.

OP
D

dmdude

FNG
Population on POW is down, but residents on Chichagof are trying to make it off limits to non-federally qualified hunters because they say the same. You can rent a vehicle from DJ and drive all around and camp wherever. I am not sure Chichagof provides that freedom. If you have the time, wherewithal and don't mind driving and exploring, POW might be the one for you. Fly into Ketchikan and either take the ferry to Hollis and get your vehicle there ( you'll have to make reservations to have the vehicle dropped. There is nothing in Hollis) or fly over to Klawock using Island Air and pick up your vehicle there. Friendly community. Put a few bucks in the local community and enjoy the experience.
Mahalo for all of the info! I originally was aiming towards Chichagof because I have some friends that live in that area. The POW area though has always had my attention. The driving around part sounds more appealing and I can hike into different places rather just on foot only. I own a small business here in Hawaii so I'm all about putting money in the local economy.