Child Carrier

I have an Osprey child carrier and it is no where near as comfortable as my Mystery Ranch pack. I am wondering if anyone has ever built there own child carrier to put in the load shelf of there pack? I was thinking of using an old Johnny jumper seat, making a PVC frame to slide into my meat shelf. Has anyone ever tried this before?

Ron.Lee

FNG
Wish I still had a picture but I did the same on my old kuiu icon. It works!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

wmr89

Lil-Rokslider
I haven't tried it yet but I have seen guys take the bag off their hunting pack and strap their osprey carrier to it.

WoodBow

WKR
I had an old kelty kid carrier. I stripped off the kid holding portion of it and strapped it to a kifaru frame. Worked great.

This was before I stripped it. No kids were harmed by my shenanigans.
c7d3871ec9db8559b25e7d7932737d03.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

sram9102

WKR
Striker holds a kiddo pretty well.

Attachments

• 20200331_165155.jpg
    20200331_165155.jpg
    211.5 KB · Views: 198
Ha. Thought this thread was gonna go in the other direction. I have considered gutting my Osprey kid carrying pack to make it a meat hauler once my lil one is a bit older.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Didnt build my own, but took the shoulder straps off my Dueter kid comfort and folded the waist belt back out of the way and just attached it to my x-curve.

I've done the same with an SO frame. I also have an Osprey carrier. The Dueter Kid Comfort Active works better tban the Osprey for it. The Dueter also fits larger kids (but the Osprey will safe hold kids that are too small for the Dueter).

tdot

WKR
I've strapped an Osprey to a Kifaru and my Seek frames. Works awesome.

On shorter hikes/walks where kids are less likely to end up in a pack, I'll take my Tarahumara w/ the HPG PALS panel and strap the kid into that. The kids have lasted up to an hour in that with zero complaints.

I'll also take my large Seek bag and install the Kifaru Grab It onto the internal loops. Sit the kid in the Grab It and position so their feet are just touching the bottom of the bag. Store gear around them and its pretty comfy. My 3 year old fell asleep in the pack last time I did that with him.

WCB

WKR
We have one of the Dueters and don't see a reason to strap it to another pack...Wife carried it with, at the time, our 16month old daughter for 7 hours sharptail hunting one day then 4 hours the next day (don't worry I picked up the last 45 minute walk the second day). She had zero complaints other than just being tired and hot from the extra weight but no hunting shoulders hips or backs from the pack.

She normally uses a Mystery Ranch Metcalf for hunting and has packed out 1/2 of mature mule bucks a few times so she knows what a good pack should feel like.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
We have one of the Dueters and don't see a reason to strap it to another pack...Wife carried it with, at the time, our 16month old daughter for 7 hours sharptail hunting one day then 4 hours the next day (don't worry I picked up the last 45 minute walk the second day). She had zero complaints other than just being tired and hot from the extra weight but no hunting shoulders hips or backs from the pack.

She normally uses a Mystery Ranch Metcalf for hunting and has packed out 1/2 of mature mule bucks a few times so she knows what a good pack should feel like.
Great point. While I find my Exo and SO frames more comfortable, both the Osprey and the Dueter are comfortable enough on their own. The main reason to strap it to the frame is because then I can put things between the child carrier and the frame and carry part of my camp.

Which Deuter are you using? I have the Kid Carrier I, and the waist belt leaves a lot to be desired..

Wrench

WKR
I saw a gal on a crf with a kid in a kifaru load panel....pretty awesome mom.

I lashed a Tactical Baby Gear carrier to my F1 Mainframe. These baby carriers are the kind to hold infants in front of you so It wasnt very comfortable for my son because his knees were banging into the frame tubing. He ended up just standing on the meat shelf and like that a lot better, but he was over it after about an hour. Think im going to get an osprey and strap it to the F1 to add comfort for him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I lashed a Tactical Baby Gear carrier to my F1 Mainframe. These baby carriers are the kind to hold infants in front of you so It wasnt very comfortable for my son because his knees were banging into the frame tubing. He ended up just standing on the meat shelf and like that a lot better, but he was over it after about an hour. Think im going to get an osprey and strap it to the F1 to add comfort for him.

If just strapping it to a frame, I find the Deuter Kid Comfort Active is a better option than the Osprey.

If just strapping it to a frame, I find the Deuter Kid Comfort Active is a better option than the Osprey.

Thanks for the input. I just found a screaming deal on the kelty journey elite after I posted that is going to be hard to pass up. What do you like better about the Deuter? My biggest concern is child size. My son is almost 3 (35 lb)and would like to get more than one season out of it possible. Looks like the Kelty, Osprey and Deuter are all rated for 48 pounds. Way I figure it, that is based on their frame and suspension. If it is attached to a more substantial frame, I would assume the weight would be almost a non issue, assuming the child can physically fit in the seat and harness. If the Deuter has more capacity, might be worth paying $150 more.