Children's sleeping bag.

What are you guys using for sleeping bags/blankets for your young kids? I have a 2 year old.

KH_bowfly

Lil-Rokslider
Interested in this too. We have a merino wool sleep sack and merino base layers for our (almost 2) son but looking to get out with him this year. He doesn’t use a blanket at home, so not sure how a sleeping bag or quilt will go for us.

Are you looking for car camping or backpacking?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bbrown

WKR
I set my kiddo up with the EE Protege and it has worked out well. She ends up using it more as a blanket just because of how much she squirms throughout the night but stays pretty warm. Light and packs well when we backpack out yet she got to pick the colors so it’s been on a couple sleepovers too. Picked it up when she was 2 I think and she is 5 now but pretty small so she has a couple more years in it yet.

IDTravis

FNG
I got a Big Agnes Duster. It rolls up and has a couple different points to sinch it up so you can change the length as the kid grows. It uses their pad sleeve system so there is no bottom insulation and a pad is a must. I've been using an old style thermarest self inflating 3/4 length pad and it works great.

I took one of those Costco down throws (700 fill, 16 oz) and folded it in thirds and sewed it shut like a little sleeping bag, with two layers on top and one on the bottom. Had a tailor put a zipper in it because I'm not that skilled. It's pretty sweet. Let me know if you want to see pics. Super simple, you can do your part in one evening watching hunting videos on YouTube.

Great timing on the thread! I have an order of materials coming so I can make my 20 month old a quilt/bag for some "expeditions" :)

When my kid was a year and a half, we ran a kelty kids bag off amazon. It was rated to 35* and is synthetic. We got one season out of it, and the coldest we saw was 33*. To be safe, my kid was in warm pj’s and a beanie. It was massive and heavy so we couldn’t use this backpacking. Plus side it was 35$

Then we got a big Agnes wolverine because we wanted to get out a little earlier and not to have worries about temps. I believe its a 15* rating. Coldest we slept was 30* with just base layers on. Kid was sweating. I believe we paid $100 This was the kids favorite bag but it is open a good portion of the time. This is synthetic.

Plus side on both bags, synthetic stays warm when wet. HOWEVER it also stinks forever and ever. When the bag gets warm, it smells horrible. In a small space, it is almost unbearable.

We were looking at the duster but because of the sizing and weight, it seemed better to buy a women’s technical bag for almost the same prize. regardless of boy or girl, a women’s regular can ALSO be rolled up just like the duster. But it wont be nearly as heavy.

I’d suggest you put your kid in a women’s bag and take the pad loops at the bottom and run some p cord to the top pad loops. Then you can size it accordingly. I suggest synthetic unless they are trained. And I suggest sierra trading post for price.

I forgot to mention that the western mountaineering semilite with overstuff is going to be a 5 foot bag, no hood, and weighs nothing. We plan on running this from 7+ until its outgrown. I think its 1 lb. Compared to the 4lb kelty haha. But its down so keep that in mind.

My kids started a little later. I bought my kids REI kinder cones. Adjustable length bags basically.

Pro tip: Take a regular length mummy bag and use a draw cord to close off the bottom portion to bag and then move the draw cord down as they grow.

Thanks for this, I’m going to try this for my kids bags

Clovis

Lil-Rokslider
Both my kids used North Face Aleutian bags when they were younger. I had a down one and a synthetic--not sure if they still make the down but they were good bags.

Thanks for this, I’m going to try this for my kids bags

Yep. This was basically the design of the kindercone bag from rei. It has a stuff sack sewn to the bottom and you use the draw cord to pinch off the foot of the bag. It works to reduce the bag volume when they are small. Not a bad purchase for $70 and we got a few years of use from them and gave them away. However, if I was doing it again, I would have gone straight to something like a northface cats meow (on sales for ~$100) and just shortened it up with the draw cord of a stuff sack until they needed the extra room.