Chili Makin’ - Beans or No?

Hondo

WKR
"if you know Beans about Chili....you know Chili has no Beans" - song by Texas songwriter Kent Finley

If you are interested in the history of Chili as well as recipe ideas, Robb Walsh's book The Chili Cookbook, Frank X. Tolbert's classic Bowl of Red and Joe Cooper's With or Without Beans are great starters. CASI - Chili Appreciation Society International that puts on the famous annual Terlingua International Chili Championship is also a great source. My grandfather was a buddy of Wick Fowler who was instrumental in starting the first Terlingua cookoff and well known for his Wick Fowler 2 alarm Chili kits sold in stores all across Texas.

I don't put beans in my chili but have plenty of friends that do and I don't hold it against them. I do get a little ruffled when something that resembles sloppy joe or spaghetti gets called Chili though.

We used to go to an annual chili cookoff every year and beans weren't allowed in the chili until after the judging.

Tod osier

WKR
Almost chili making season and was wondering the consensus of beans or no beans in your chili?

If yes to beans, what kind?

I already made my first batch of elk chili this year. :). I like to make a batch when there are still fresh chilis in the garden and tomatoes to use up. For beans I usually use black, but I do like to do a 1:1:1 mix of pinto black and small kidney beans (hate the huge kidney beans, just hate them). I've been using dried beans like how they turn out and like the cost savings too.

fmyth

WKR
Wouldn’t a Chili without beans be a soup or stew?

"Traditional Red Chili is defined by the International Chili Society as any kind of meat or combination of meats, cooked with red chili peppers, various spices and other ingredients, with the exception of BEANS and PASTA which are strictly forbidden."

I always cook my chili with beans.

UpTop

Lil-Rokslider
Is it chili without beans? But to answer the question, yes red kidney beans

robtattoo

WKR
Nice to see someone else who adds chocolate to their chilli. I always grate 4oz of dark chocolate into a 2lb of meat chilli. Elk or deer.
I'm 50/50 on beans. I usually add a cup of soaked pintos to mine, but I also like corn as a sub. Sometimes, green peas take my fancy!

I literally snort-laughed at the chicken/turkey comment! 🤣

Savage99

WKR
Nice to see someone else who adds chocolate to their chilli. I always grate 4oz of dark chocolate into a 2lb of meat chilli. Elk or deer.
I'm 50/50 on beans. I usually add a cup of soaked pintos to mine, but I also like corn as a sub. Sometimes, green peas take my fancy!

I literally snort-laughed at the chicken/turkey comment!

Man, I might try the chocolate in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Poser

WKR
I don’t put beans in my chili, but I’ll eat chili with beans in it, just go light on it.

Also, stew meat (sometimes called “Texas Style”) > than ground meat for chili.

Chocolate chili is awesome.

*Bear is the BEST meat for chili.

Which brand of hot sauce to have available at the table for chili is a commonly overlooked aspect that is worthy of consideration.

Sliced avocado is good in chili.

Make it spicy, cool it down at the table with some sour cream. Don’t give me some bland-ass, Midwestern tablefare. Chili should be spicy or don’t eat it.

In recent years I've been adding a jar of canned meat to a batch of chili. I prefer it with all ground but this does make a good use for canned meat.