Chilkoot 15 vs Kifaru Slick Bag 20

Hey guys,
Ive been saving up for the past few months and am looking to get a new bag. I have been a firm believer in synthetic for a long time but am thinking about going in on a SG Chilkoot 15 after reading Robby's review. I have always been nervous about the wet with a down bag but am starting to think differently now especially with the SG Chilkoot. I primarily archery hunt deer and elk in the fall with a bow. I also always hunt deer in AZ in December/Jan OTC. My primary shelter is a Supertarp. For the most part, I hunt during seasons where precipitation is not a huge deal (primarily September). Between these two choicesI like that the SG has quite a bit more room (I tend to sleep on my sides and roll around a lot), stuffs down smaller, and is lighter. I like that the SlickBag is Kifaru made, has the ability to operate as an oven to dry me out if in a bad situation (even though I have never really been in this type of situation yet, I know I am bound to have it happen at some point) and I havent heard a bad thing about it. The slickbag is also a bit of a weight penalty and a takes up a bit more space, but also seems pretty bomb proof.

Do you guys have any thoughts either way? I know they are both great bags I am just being very indecisive. Any insight or thoughts would be much appreciated.

Last edited:

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I was excited about the chillkoot until i seen "made in china" Im looking for a western mountaineering versalite now.

Once you get into the $$$ that Stone Glacier is asking for their bags, theres just no reason not to get the best and go with Western mountaineering.

I was in the same boat, I was interested in the SG bag then realized for slightly more I could get the top of the line.

I'm on the WM train. Their bags are second to none - if you're spending chilkoot money go ahead and step on into the WM club. I regret that I didn't buy one sooner!

I also hear great things about FF - I haven't personally owned one so thats why I don't push them... but I hear they're great.

OP
How much of a difference is western mountaineering of ff vs the slickbag? I’ve never gone down before. It’s almost 1 lb difference which is pretty substantial but comfort wise...is it worth it? I’ve never had any “wet” issues but have always had a fear of being soaked and then screwed with down. For the price of a WM I could essentially get two slickbags...any thoughts? Appreciate the feedback guys!

How much of a difference is western mountaineering of ff vs the slickbag? I’ve never gone down before. It’s almost 1 lb difference which is pretty substantial but comfort wise...is it worth it? I’ve never had any “wet” issues but have always had a fear of being soaked and then screwed with down. For the price of a WM I could essentially get two slickbags...any thoughts? Appreciate the feedback guys!

I have no firsthand experience with the slick bags unfortunately. It seems like people complain about the zipper, the compressed volume and I heard some people complaining that they weren't true to temp rating.

WM bags are true to temp rating - if it says 20 degrees, you'll be warm at 20. A lot of people find them very conservative and able to take them below the rating and stay comfortable. I have read about a few people who bought the bigger cut WM bags and said they had a tendency to run a little colder but it makes sense... a perfect sleeping bag will fit you without much excessive space.

As far as wetting out, I think you'd have to be in some pretty severe conditions to do so. I'm talking Western Alaska never-ending pouring rain... and then there are guys that run down in those conditions with no issue.

OP
I would buy the slick with 15% today and not look back

I ended up doing this. Thanks for the help guys. Talked to my wife about the decision and the money saved and she asked if we could put the money saved into a bow for her (been trying to get her hunting for years) so it’s a win win. Also like to support Kifaru whenever I can because I’ve had great experiences over the years with them as well as invaluable information from Aron over the years.

Really appreciate all the help you all provide on this forum!!

Spiegel

FNG
Would anyone have a compressed comparison pic of a slick bag and WM by any chance?

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I ended up doing this. Thanks for the help guys. Talked to my wife about the decision and the money saved and she asked if we could put the money saved into a bow for her (been trying to get her hunting for years) so it’s a win win. Also like to support Kifaru whenever I can because I’ve had great experiences over the years with them as well as invaluable information from Aron over the years.

Good choice, while the slick isn’t the ultimate be all end all sleeping bag (none of them are) it will be a great addition to your load out. The slick bag will always have a place in my gear stall for times when I’m worried about the weather (which is often in SE AK).

Compare the specs between Feathered Friends and Western Mountaineering. They are practically identical and Feathered Friends uses Pertex fabric which is amazing.

do you got any feedback from this yet? been eyeballing the slick bag and on the verge of pulling the trigger? whats your thoughts so far?