Chilkoot 15 vs Kifaru Slick Bag 20

SIontheHunt

Lil-Rokslider
i dont have SG or WM bag money but I too am worried about a wet bag. What if my rain fly gets a rip and I don't realize it, next morning I wake up with a puddle in my tent (which has not happened), or I set up my ground tarp like a moron and it acts like a rain catch and funnels water into my tent (which has happened)... I have since upgraded my tent and the floor is actually waterproof but still its a piece of mind thing.

OP
do you got any feedback from this yet? been eyeballing the slick bag and on the verge of pulling the trigger? whats your thoughts so far?

Its been outstanding. I have had the slickbag for about a year and a half now and its been worth its weight in gold. Last year I was in Wyoming hunting elk in September and it was pouring rain the whole time. Not only was I wet the entire hunt but so was everything in my tent. Each night Id get in my bag and be dry and warm in the morning. Its an awesome piece of gear and I highly recommend it. Let me know if you have any specific questions as I'd be more than happy to answer. I have used it on a ton of backpack hunts since and its been 10/10.

Its been outstanding. I have had the slickbag for about a year and a half now and its been worth its weight in gold. Last year I was in Wyoming hunting elk in September and it was pouring rain the whole time. Not only was I wet the entire hunt but so was everything in my tent. Each night Id get in my bag and be dry and warm in the morning. Its an awesome piece of gear and I highly recommend it. Let me know if you have any specific questions as I'd be more than happy to answer. I have used it on a ton of backpack hunts since and its been 10/10.
Awesome, so would you recomend the 20 degree or the 0 degree for september/october hunts? I saw somebody wrote the use the 0 degree in that time frame and just open the zipper more if its warmer out, and like it a lot

OP
Awesome, so would you recomend the 20 degree or the 0 degree for september/october hunts? I saw somebody wrote the use the 0 degree in that time frame and just open the zipper more if its warmer out, and like it a lot

Take my answer with a grain of salt as I have not used the zero. That being said, the 20 has been fine for me in Sept/October hunts. I actually just got back from hunting up high in WY and there were several nights in the high teens/low 20s and I was absolutely fine in socks, long johns and a wool top. Kifaru is one of the few bags that I have used where the temperature rating is accurate and not overinflated. One thing I also like about the 20 is it compresses down a fair bit smaller than the zero. Because I primarily backpack hunt, I am ok in the 20 and will wear more of my clothing if necessary. If you are a very cold sleeper, you may want to look at the zero. I am probably in the middle as far as temperature sleeping (not warm sleeper or cold sleeper) and the 20 has been awesome for me and I've owned it for two hard use hunting seasons and its still bombproof. Let me know if there are any other questions I could answer

Last edited:

Block

WKR
I really want to buy a slick 0* but based on what people say about the pack size,,and looking at the weight ., I feel like it would end up being a truck bag...

Salmon River Solutions

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I have a 0 and wish I would have gotten a 20 degree. I sweat my ass of halfway in the bag if its above 20 degrees. The velcro makes it kinda weird to sleep with it partway over you. sometimes it pokes into you.

The bag is insanely warm though.

Thats kinda what i was starting to think to, and kinda figured thats were the puffys can come in the few times its that cold i need a 0 degree. And seemed more practical with a 20 if 99% of the time itll be good enough for september october

choovhntr

WKR
I ordered both the 0 and the 20. The 0 went back and I kept the 20 primarily because of the compressed size. Really like the bag so far for what it is. I got it for an Alaska goat hunt and it worked great. I’m a side sleeper so wanted the room the slick bag offers and I actually like the center zipper design.

I've got a 0 and 20 Slick bag and the 20 hasn't left the closet. I always grab the 0 when I hunt elk in CO in Sept. Warm enough for anything I'll encounter and if its warm for some odd reason I just unzip it a little.

carter33

WKR
I have the 20 degree slick bag and my hunting partner has the 0 degree. The typical weather we’re in is from about the low 20s to upper 30s at night. I have been more than warm enough with the 20 and glad I have it rather than the 0 degree. I have also slept in it when it had gotten very wet and it was about 30 out. It kept me warm and I was able to sleep but I wouldn’t say I was comfortable, even though I wasn’t cold I don’t believe any wet bag would be “comfortable”.

The slick bag is great and has its place and to me is proven. But as others have mentioned no bag is perfect in all situations. On hunts where you are limited to the gear on your back a down bag that packs small is becoming more appealing and I find myself wanting a WM bag to better fit that scenario.

I saw today where John Barklow said untreated down has no place in the backcountry. Man seems like a bold statement. I Personally have used a WM bag for years without problems in the sierras where it’s fairly dry. But I’ve also used it on a river trip where it rained the whole time and it still maintained loft.