Chilkoot 15°

bow_dozer

Lil-Rokslider
Have been on the fence about a new bag for awhile. For the past years, have been using a synthetic kelty 15 and freezing my butt off. Always justifying saving the $$$ as its "only a month" of suffering/freezing nights out of the year lol. This weekend I took out the SG Chilkoot on a bear hunt. I literally thought i died in the middle of the night. I was HOT, had to unzip! (Low 20s) Having learned the hard way with boots and glass, "buy once cry once" you'd think I learn. PSA announcement, if you dread spending the night because you are always cold, pull the trigger and get a bag. Lesson learned!

Attachments

• 20200502_081852.jpg
    20200502_081852.jpg
    528.5 KB · Views: 70
Really been liking mine as well.
Normally I use a quilt during archery to save weight.
Got the SG bag for my lady and for me to use later in the yr.
Been considering selling the quilt.
I am a little upset they raised the price of the bag by $50 for no apparent reason.

Really been liking mine as well.
Normally I use a quilt during archery to save weight.
Got the SG bag for my lady and for me to use later in the yr.
Been considering selling the quilt.
I am a little upset they raised the price of the bag by $50 for no apparent reason.

Yes, I also noticed the $50 increase. Bummed me out big time. I mean $500 was already expensive.

Yes, I also noticed the $50 increase. Bummed me out big time. I mean $500 was already expensive.

May consider black ovis and the Rokslide discount.
But you may have to call these days.
Believe maybe Elkshape is a code as well.

But yeah just poof $50 increase.

It really is a nice bag though, size weight, warmth on par.
Idk if I love the magnetic collar. It works but seems a little tight.

May consider black ovis and the Rokslide discount.
But you may have to call these days.
Believe maybe Elkshape is a code as well.

But yeah just poof $50 increase.

It really is a nice bag though, size weight, warmth on par.
Idk if I love the magnetic collar. It works but seems a little tight.

Yeah I was also considering a Katabatic quilt, but man the Chilkoot just seems awesome with lots of room.

Not worth it for a Chinese product when American made products are similar price and performance(western mountaineering and feathered friends).

I love SG products otherwise(I wouldn’t buy a different pack - love them) but they should consider bringing the production of the sleeping bags here.

Bigpops

FNG
I've been following all of the seeping bag posts. I'm really on the fence as to which bag to go with. I am looking at the SG and the WM Badger, with the WM coming out to be roughly a $100 more.

I know "buy once cry once" but...which way would you all go?

I am 6'3", 220, warm sleeper, heading to Colorado this September for my first Elk bowhunt.

Thank you in advance!

Steve

jt4

WKR
I've been following all of the seeping bag posts. I'm really on the fence as to which bag to go with. I am looking at the SG and the WM Badger, with the WM coming out to be roughly a $100 more.

I know "buy once cry once" but...which way would you all go?

I am 6'3", 220, warm sleeper, heading to Colorado this September for my first Elk bowhunt.

Thank you in advance!

Steve

I can't speak to the temperature ratings yet, but you'll fit in the SG. I'm basically the same size and fit in it just fine. Sent mine back bc of the made in China tag and went with the WM badger for a bit of a bump in price to get the flag on it. I would have kept it and been very happy with it I'm sure if it was made here.

Bigpops

FNG
I can't speak to the temperature ratings yet, but you'll fit in the SG. I'm basically the same size and fit in it just fine. Sent mine back bc of the made in China tag and went with the WM badger for a bit of a bump in price to get the flag on it. I would have kept it and been very happy with it I'm sure if it was made here.
Good to know, I wasn't aware of that. Retired Navy here....I'll stick with the good ol USA brand.

Reactions: jt4

CO-AJ

WKR
I considered the SG, but went with the WM Versalite with 3oz of overstuff in support of USA. Very packable and light, drop it on a high R Value pad and call it a day.

I was bummed by the price increase too but can't blame them for upping their prices. Supply and demand. Gotta make that $$$. I'll probably go with a WM bag now.

I always find it weird that Feathered Friends is never mentioned when deciding especially since they are the only true competition to WM.

A couple of the bags I have looked at actualy are almost identical to size and specs, except the WM has 12D extremelite shell versus the FF has 20D pertex shell. For hunting applications the 20d would be nice. The bag I want (Alpinelite 20) is not offered in the Microlite fabric.

Oh and Feathered Friends is cheaper as well and made in USA.

CO-AJ

WKR
FF and WM were the two bags I was really looking at for comparables. I went with the WM because it was lighter, I liked the no-snag zipper system, and I got a great price on it. Both are made here which is a plus. The only other bag that really peaked my interest was the Volandre, look to be really well built, tons of loft, but heavier than either the WM or FF. Only drawback I saw was it was French; I don't know I just couldn't picture sitting on a felled tree, in camo, guns laying around, with elk hanging, and crawling into a French sleeping bag....o_O

Go through SO or Bean outdoors and get yourself a western mountaineering bag. Made in the USA. The SG Chilkoot is made in China.

whaack

WKR
Personally wasn’t happy with the durability of the SG Bag. Returned mine to go hunt and went with WM Versalite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk