Chisel Tip vs COC?

7raptor

Lil-Rokslider
60# 27.75” DL shooting VAP RIP TKO 350s...

Caught between Grim Reaper Micro Hades 4 blade, RMS Gear Cutthroat 3 blade or Day Six 2 blade. 150 grains up front with 50 grain insert/outsert.

Hunting Pigs, elk, mule deer...are they all cut on contact? Is there any significant advantage to any?

Zac

WKR
The Day6 is by far the best option out of those. Also the most expensive. RMS is probably the most durable. The Micro Hades are extremely accurate, all good options. However if you don't like to sharpen at home the RMS is out.

OP
7raptor

7raptor

Lil-Rokslider
The Day6 is by far the best option out of those. Also the most expensive. RMS is probably the most durable. The Micro Hades are extremely accurate, all good options. However if you don't like to sharpen at home the RMS is out.
It's not about the money, it's about killing the animal fast and ethically, especially when it's a big elk at 60 yards. For what it's worth, I take any excuse when I'm sitting at home to work on my archery gear.

Last edited:

Zac

WKR
If you want a premium head there are a few to choose from. Ironwill, Day6, Valkyrie, and the new Tuff Heads. All are tool steel machined heads except for the Day6. That is a stainless S30V which is still an amazing steel and will not corrode near as quickly as the rest.

nphunter

WKR
I agree with whatever shoots the best for you. A magnus broadhead will do just as well as any of those expensive heads and it doesn't matter what you are shooting if you hit them in the shoulder at 60 yards your not going to kill them. Solid Legends are a great head as well and you can often find them used for a lot less than some of the others mentioned. I had great luck killing deer and elk with solids for a long time and never had a single failure, I did break some bleeders and solid replaced those heads for free, no questions asked.

Go with the day six. With your # and draw length a super sharp 2 blade with bleeders would give you best potential penetration and it’s a high quality head.

OP
7raptor

7raptor

Lil-Rokslider
Go with the day six. With your # and draw length a super sharp 2 blade with bleeders would give you best potential penetration and it’s a high quality head.
Your thoughts on the wide vs standard width?

Your thoughts on the wide vs standard width?
I have not shot either, have friends that use them, I shoot iron will 125s. However, it probably depends on your skill set and how far you want to shoot. If you know how to tune BHs and you can shoot then you could probably shoot the wides well out to 40-50 yards. If your gonna just shoot shit close then might as well make a bigger hole.

Reactions: Zac

nphunter

WKR
The Kudu is another great head that IMO if you are worried about penetration, that's what I have my son shooting. He's shooting a 28" dl at 50lbs and a 450gr arrow.

OP
7raptor

7raptor

Lil-Rokslider
I now prefer the COC fixed heads for many reasons and Ive shot all styles

Does CoC mean that the broadhead does not have a chisel tip or does it mean that it only has a certain style of blade?

Beendare

WKR
Does CoC mean that the broadhead does not have a chisel tip or does it mean that it only has a certain style of blade?
Some of the chisel points claimed to be cut on contact but they aren’t. True COC is a leading edge blade.

Every head design is a tradeoff. To get really big holes you..... also get more resistance.

I prefer a tapered COC design as it penetrates effortlessly. many animals I shoot if I did my job don’t even know they are hit and barely run off. this makes for easy tracking, and many die in sight.

This design makes for one stop BH tuning, tune one and I can shoot multiple heads no problem.

I choose the tradeoff of maximum penetration over a larger hole. I got tired of the big hole broadheads making the animals run off like their tail was on fire.

This max penetration gets me into The vitals when other large cut designs have fallen short..... even with heavy compounds.

A strong COC design is easy to touch up and can be reused over and over reducing your Broadhead cost.

Every design works..... it’s all about what you want out of your Brodhead.

——

j33

WKR
Some of the chisel points claimed to be cut on contact but they aren’t. True COC is a leading edge blade.

Every head design is a tradeoff. To get really big holes you..... also get more resistance.

I prefer a tapered COC design as it penetrates effortlessly. many animals I shoot if I did my job don’t even know they are hit and barely run off. this makes for easy tracking, and many die in sight.

This design makes for one stop BH tuning, tune one and I can shoot multiple heads no problem.

I choose the tradeoff of maximum penetration over a larger hole. I got tired of the big hole broadheads making the animals run off like their tail was on fire.

This max penetration gets me into The vitals when other large cut designs have fallen short..... even with heavy compounds.

A strong COC design is easy to touch up and can be reused over and over reducing your Broadhead cost.

Every design works..... it’s all about what you want out of your Brodhead.

——
bringing this old thread back, I need something more durable than my Ramcat fixed blades for Elk. Which tapered head COC heads do you recommend?

I have killed a bunch of elk with the Ram Cat. If that is what you are confident in, shoot it. If it’s time for a change, every head mentioned works well. I add the Magnus Black Hornet 4 blade to the mix. The GR Hades is good and the point is a chisel type but has some COC properties. Iron Will is extremely good but the 125 vented wides are loud in flight. Kudu is good but hard to sharpen.
You really just need to look at the features and decide what you like and what you can live with. Tons of good heads out there.

Reactions: j33

j33

WKR
I have killed a bunch of elk with the Ram Cat. If that is what you are confident in, shoot it. If it’s time for a change, every head mentioned works well. I add the Magnus Black Hornet 4 blade to the mix. The GR Hades is good and the point is a chisel type but has some COC properties. Iron Will is extremely good but the 125 vented wides are loud in flight. Kudu is good but hard to sharpen.
You really just need to look at the features and decide what you like and what you can live with. Tons of good heads out there.
Thanks that's some real good feedback, Ram Cat has been good on deer, there's some reasons why I want to change along with going from 100 to 125g and wanna keep it simple with just a broadhead swap.

It seems like the ultimate for Elk is a cut on contact with two large blades and two bleeder blades (I shoot 70lbs 29.5 DL). I was eyeying up the Slick Trick Viper Trick so might go that route, but some great feedback.