Choices- Browning Hell's Canyon Speed vs. Long Range

I'm looking to hear your thoughts about a choice I need to make. I have an opportunity to choose between a Browning X-Bolt Hell's Canyon Speed or Hell's Canyon Long Range (I know...a real 1st World problem...LOL). I'm most interested in 7mm RM, 300WM and 28 Nosler [this one I need to research more], have the capability to handload ammunition and do not consider myself recoil shy. I would like to use this rifle to hunt elk and mule deer, primarily in the Uinta and Wasatch Mountains of Utah, but I may find myself hunting anywhere in the West. This will serve strictly as a hunting rifle since I have other rifles to fill the target/tactical niche. My current hunting rifle is a Sako 75 Finnlight in 300WSM (and find it manageable without a brake), but I'm a "gun guy" and tend to dabble in a variety of rifles.

My 1st thought was to go for the Speed in 7RM, as I find 7RM a pleasure to shoot and tend to lean towards lighter rifles. I have handled the Speed and liked it, but haven't handled the Long Range. But I find myself thinking of slinging large-for-caliber bullets [200-215 grain .30s or 175-180 grain .284s] and the Long Range starts to become more attractive. Is there a performance advantage to selecting the heavier contour barrel and extra weight of the Long Range over the Speed? How about stepping up to 300WM or 28 Nosler? Is the "juice worth the squeeze"? I'm looking for the "sweet spot" between caliber, weight and performance in this rifle that will meet my needs. I have a new Burris Veracity 3-15x50mm scope at my disposal for this setup, but may consider a lighter option in Leupold/Zeiss/Swaro/Vortex Razor LH for the right price. What would you choose if you had such a choice and why? Thanks for your thoughts.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

FURMAN

WKR
Before you purchase a Browning I would verify the magazine length. I would NOT buy a rifle with a 3.4" internal magazine length. It will severely limit your bullet seating. To answer your question, with elk on the table I would go 300 and with a good brake I would not go heavier.

odin0226

Lil-Rokslider
I second the 300 WM comment. A 9# 300 WM with a brake is 243 level recoil and is better suited for elk IMO.

I'm looking at the speed in 300wsm. One reason is the weight and shorter barrel. Well, I guess that's 2 reasons.

If you want to get rid of that sako though let me know :D

Last edited:
OP
L
I'm looking at the speed in 300wsm. One reason is the weight and shorter barrel. Well, I guess that's 2 reasons.

If you want to get rid of that sako though let me know :D
I've considered it...only because I seem to be enamored with the 7s...but 300WSM seems to work well in this rifle.

OP
L
Before you purchase a Browning I would verify the magazine length. I would NOT buy a rifle with a 3.4" internal magazine length. It will severely limit your bullet seating. To answer your question, with elk on the table I would go 300 and with a good brake I would not go heavier.
I may have to run down and measure their magazine to see just how far out I can seat bullets.

I'm here with ya I'm really wanting a 6.5 Creedmoor and the browning hells canyon is on the short list.
Basically the LR being heavy will tend to be easier to shoot accurately not that the rifle is better heavy is just more steady easy to shoot, the heavier profile should also be stiffer and may resist shot stringing.
But the shorter lighter rifle will be easier handling, hang up on branches less while on shoulder or pack. Even though it is lighter I don't consider it an ultralight and I should shoot well.
So really it just depends on primary purpose and what the advantages are for you. My 300 is a 26" and so far that has never been a problem for me handling wise. But since my lady will probably use my 6.5 I'll probably go with the speed. Gosh I wish it was a 24" aka the longspeed lol.
If you want to shoot heavy for cal bullets I would look up the twist rate of the caliber you want and if one has a faster twist I would let that decide for ya.
Hope this helps

OP
L
Guys...I've given my choices some extra thought. I think I'm wanting a 300WM in the HC Long Range. I handled both the Speed and Long Range today and the weight penalty seems minimal. I would like to keep this rifle awhile before I have to rebarrel...so much for 28 Nosler lust. Maybe I will build a custom some day with a proper twist to handle the bog 7s. That said, the 215 Bergers have my attention.

I think u will be happy. 300 mag is an old workhorse and the heavier bullets have less wind drift and I like to have the weight just in case I hit a bull rite in the shoulder blade etc.
Not sure what bullets you are considering but berger has a twist rate calculator and it worked like a charm on my 243. Couldn't find a load it like so looked up the twist rate and ordered what it said and bam.
Ps pretty sure there is a $75 rebate on Browning rifles thru the 31st

OP
L
I think u will be happy. 300 mag is an old workhorse and the heavier bullets have less wind drift and I like to have the weight just in case I hit a bull rite in the shoulder blade etc.
Not sure what bullets you are considering but berger has a twist rate calculator and it worked like a charm on my 243. Couldn't find a load it like so looked up the twist rate and ordered what it said and bam.
Ps pretty sure there is a $75 rebate on Browning rifles thru the 31st
Likely go with 215 Bergers.

I was in a similar dilemma. I ended up buying the long range because it has a faster barrel twist to stabilize heavier bullets for elk, and the minimal extra weight with help with accuracy. I went with the 7mm rem mag because ammo is cheaper and more available than the 28 Nosler. Also considered the .300 win mag but the ballistics are quite similar to the 7mm anyway.

Geech

FNG
I was tossing up between the HC speed and LR in 300wm, and decided on the LR because to me it felt more balanced. I haven’t shot it with the brake, but I find it very comfortable to shoot

Spoonman

WKR
The 7mm in the speed has a 1:9.5 twist, in the long range it has a 1:8 twist which is much better for the heavy/longer pills. Also the mag length on the 7mm and the 300wm are the exact same (3.63) and in my 300wm I shoot the factory loaded Berger 215 hybrids with a oal of 3.6 so they fit but it close. I also have a 7mm mag in the long range and it shoots Berger 168’s with lots of room.

Bojangles21

Lil-Rokslider
If it were me, I’d go the long range in 28 nosler and use 195 EOL hand loads. They’re crazy high BC, or just go with 180s going over 3000. Long range pursuit podcast by gunwerks talks about them and actually compares the 28 nosler to the 300 wm and beats it out in most every way. I believe it’s “episode 33, bucking the wind” it’s a good listen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a friend who owns the speed rifle in 300 WSM.

Its very light and very accurate. Recoil is not bad at all.

Anyone shot one in 30 nosler. A friend just bought one, the LR version to go with his 7mmRM in same rifle. I tried to talk him into the speed to save 0.75 lb of weight but he got the LR anyway.

BCD

WKR
I have a friend who owns the speed rifle in 300 WSM.

Its very light and very accurate. Recoil is not bad at all.

I love this rifle with the short action and 23 inch barrel. A buddy got the 300 WSM in the long range also and both are excellent.

Bojangles21

Lil-Rokslider
And correct me if I’m wrong, the LR has a faster twist so you can go heavier in bullets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just bought the long range in a 28 nosler. I feel the 28 is a top notch 284 caliber capable of any game in north america. I am running a 168 ablr at 3212 fps. I will never live long enough to burn a barrel. Although I know the good ol 7 rem mag will do the same thing its just a bit too 1980s for me. As for the rifle, nice! The McMillan stock feels good to the hands and the vertical palm swell grip is comfortable. The medium heavy barrel has produced 1/2" groups. The muzzle break keeps recoil to acceptable levels. The trigger, on the other hand doesnt cut it for me. I adjusted it down to about 2.5lbs which is too heavy for me but a trigger job will get done. Its way too heavy for a mountain rifle but I have already carried it a dozen km chasing coyotes in hilly terrain. And yes, the rails that come with it are a nice touch. Mine is the limited edition "ambush" model.