chokes for upland birds, mainly pheasants

OP
D
as a side note: I started looking for a 26" Benelli barrel, found ONE in all the internet and coast to coast barrel dealers, on ebay - another buyer ran the price to $450, who knows how much higher, I "bit" for a while then looked on GB and found a newer used comfortech M2 for $950 w/ 26" so I bought it, my M2 has to be worth at least $800 which puts the barrel change much much cheaper with little nuisance in the deal and I get a newer gun too …..

as a side note: I started looking for a 26" Benelli barrel, found ONE in all the internet and coast to coast barrel dealers, on ebay - another buyer ran the price to $450, who knows how much higher, I "bit" for a while then looked on GB and found a newer used comfortech M2 for $950 w/ 26" so I bought it, my M2 has to be worth at least $800 which puts the barrel change much much cheaper with little nuisance in the deal and I get a newer gun too …..
I own an M1 and an M2 for the same reasons. I keep one in Alaska and one in Oregon.

The way chokes are made now the barrel length isn’t all that important. I’ve been shooting a benelli M2 20 ga for last five years and have no problems killing puddle ducks out to 40 yrds. Not a normal shot for me but it does happen on their way out sometimes. Check out Jebs choke tubes. Great product and great people.

SoDaky

WKR
Shoot lots every year for over 60 years.Don't cut it,just use it.I use an assortment of 20ga shotguns but shoot mod or ic/mod if o/u.
Plain blue box Fed 6s or 4s and 3 inch Black Cloud steel 2s if public.All 3 loads pattern great in most 20s.Dead is dead.

OP
D
Shoot lots every year for over 60 years.Don't cut it,just use it.I use an assortment of 20ga shotguns but shoot mod or ic/mod if o/u.
Plain blue box Fed 6s or 4s and 3 inch Black Cloud steel 2s if public.All 3 loads pattern great in most 20s.Dead is dead.
READ THE PRECEDING COMMENTS PLEASE !!

Wassid82

WKR
IC or mod with fiocchi golden pheasant #5s. And don’t lop off the barrel. If a 28 in barrel is too long for you, buy a shorter barrel if you can find one, and if not, buy a gun with shorter barrels.
100 percent agree

Modified at a minimum. Preferably Improved modified if you can find it. Personally I like a full choke as I hunt late season roosters here in SD and they get wary. However the perfect answer is to go pattern your gun and see which choke patterns the best with the loads you intend to shoot. Use at least #5’s but preferably #4’s.....

CO Hunter

FNG
Resurrecting an older thread, but upland season is about 1 month away in KS and CO. I’m a light modified guy if only one barrel. I shoot over a pointing lab on wild birds. If O/U I really like skeet then light mod or maybe mod.

Jackal7

Lil-Rokslider
I hunt pheasants and waterfowl about 30 days each fall. All three of my guns are 28" barrels and I use modified chokes in each, for all birds. Would never consider anything else.

Prairie Storm #5s for roosters, Hevi Metal for waterfowl. Those loads and a modified choke is all you need.

jrg_80

FNG
IC/LM early
LM/M or even possibly IM later on in season

jrg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

byoung.id

FNG
Take my sage advice for what you paid for it. I hunt SD each year with a 28” #5 and take both M and IC chokes which can be swapped depending on conditions (wind) and how the birds are flying. Save the money on a barrel and hit the trap range a few more times which is a lot more fun. Good luck and enjoy your time in the field!

Attachments

• 6A17CD4E-60D0-4773-9C8A-572169B27211.jpeg
    6A17CD4E-60D0-4773-9C8A-572169B27211.jpeg
    176.9 KB · Views: 8