Choosing a backpack help...

Let me start with that I have never used a backpack for anything other than a small one to carry a few possibles in the whitetail woods. I've never been backpacking or even hiking for that matter. So I have no idea what all I'm even looking for in a backpack.
I would also say I'd rather find a good used one that would work for and save a few bucks. I've watched the classifieds here and a few other sites. I've seen some come up for sale, but can't determine if they would be suited for what I want and need.

So here is my situation. I'm wanting to go on an Alaskan (or maybe Canada) Dall Sheep hunt. I have been purchasing some of the equipment and things I will need for this hunt slowly over the past few months. Now I'm looking into a backpack. Obviously this would be for a 9 day hunt. I'm not really sure what all I would carry for myself or help the guide carry for our hunt. Therefore I really don't know what size of a backpack would be ideal for this hunt. I'm guessing somewhere in the 4500-6500ci area.
I have just had an opportunity to possibly go on a Mule Deer hunt in the future. I know we will be hiking into the hunting area, but I don't think we would actually be camping out in the hunting area. I know that they have a camper that they stay in. So this backpack could be used for this trip as well. Not that this trip would need a big backpack for essentials, but for packing out the game if successful it would be useful.

So I guess my questions are:
What size should I be looking for?
What items should I look for in this backpack?
For that matter, what questions should I be asking about?

Thanks for you time and suggestions.
MH

*zap*

WKR
SG Sky Archer 6200 is a good versatile pack. The hardest part is finding a frame that fits you especially if you buy used. If you buy new you can exchange. If you buy used you need to purchase at a price that you can flip it without much loss....if your on a strict budget.

Last edited:

jspradley

WKR
I honestly believe you cant go wrong with any of the big names out there, I'm a Kifaru fanboi admittedly but Exo, Mystery Ranch, and Stone Glacier all make great packs as well.

I'd avoid Kuiu, Tenzing, or Badlands but other than that pick one of the big names that fit the size you want and you should be good to go.

Scour the classifieds here too and you can usually find good deals

OP
Silvereagle50
SG Sky Archer 6200 is a good versatile pack. The hardest part is finding a frame that fits you especially if you buy used. If you buy new you can exchange. If you buy used you need to purchase at a price that you can flip it without much loss....if your on a strict budget.

This is one of the reasons I came here to ask this question. I'm 5'10" and weight 245 (right now) seems most I see are small to medium. Wont fit me. Because of this, looks like i'll be buying new and then in a couple of years, if I don't need them anymore, I'll sale.

Newt

Lil-Rokslider
This is one of the reasons I came here to ask this question. I'm 5'10" and weight 245 (right now) seems most I see are small to medium. Wont fit me. Because of this, looks like i'll be buying new and then in a couple of years, if I don't need them anymore, I'll sale.

I'm 5'7" 180lbs(on my way down to 150......). I just bought a Stone Glacier, and it in fact just got delivered to me an hour ago.

I had been using an Alps Traverse X, which for all purposes is a fine pack, but the last elk I hauled out with it I decided it would be nice to find something that 'fit' me.

I have been doing daily hikes with just 15lbs in the Alps pack, just generally get in shape stuff. The instructions for the SG pack say to put 30-40lbs in it to do the fitting. I put 30 in it, messed around with the straps some, back and forth trying different positions, and I think I am about to get it perfect.

What I noticed is that the 30lbs in it feels just about like the 15lbs in the Alps pack. I guess that is just what a pack that 'fits' you will do.

I never thought I would spend this much money on a pack, but I think in the long run I am going to smile each time I pack an animal out of the woods.

Long story short.......I have no idea about the other name brands, but I can vouch that the SG is truly a 'fit' to your body kind of pack.

I got the Sky 5900 on the Xcurve frame.

Where are you located? There are a lot of good people on this site that are willing to meet up and let you try their pack.
I haven’t done a sheep hunt but from what I have read you would need one on the larger size i.e. 6000s and 7000s. I personally have Stone Glacier in 3300 and 5900. The upper level packs usually you can change the bag portion making it very versatile.
I am in NW Washington if you want to try it on.

Afhunter1

WKR
Most major pack makers you can buy a belt without the pack. So if you see a screaming deal on a med pack you can buy it and sell the belt then buy new belt.

I’m going sheep hunting in 2021 with my exo 5500.

OP
Silvereagle50
Most major pack makers you can buy a belt without the pack. So if you see a screaming deal on a med pack you can buy it and sell the belt then buy new belt.

I’m going sheep hunting in 2021 with my exo 5500.

Looking at 2021 myself.
Good to know I could just change the belt. I didn’t know that.

OP
Silvereagle50
Where are you located? There are a lot of good people on this site that are willing to meet up and let you try their pack.
I haven’t done a sheep hunt but from what I have read you would need one on the larger size i.e. 6000s and 7000s. I personally have Stone Glacier in 3300 and 5900. The upper level packs usually you can change the bag portion making it very versatile.
I am in NW Washington if you want to try it on.

I live in the very SE corner of Oklahoma. Any one close that would help me out would be appreciated.

jarcher38

FNG
Silver eagle, I have been researching and looking at packs. I just joined rockslide and noticed you have a pack for sale that I’m interested in. I’m a member of saddle hunter and archertalk. I know this may or may not get to you but I’m not able to message you directly just yet. Anyway if you see this and don’t mind will you give me a call at 2513620668. My name is Joey archer and I would like to talk to you about your pack for sale. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wodje96

FNG
Just finished a bp elk hunt using the SG EVO, It's a great pack, but not huge. I really like the pack and it fills a niche in my equipment.

wodje96

FNG
for my Dall sheep hunt I used a Barney's pack, and that would be my choice if I went again. Tons of room super comfortable (for me) and no problem handling the weight. Also they're not that heavy a pack. they are a bit big in the brush but you're not stalking through brush on animals when dall sheep hunting anyway (at least I wasn't)

Rokwiia

WKR
For starters, if you're looking in the 4,500 - 6,500ci area, look at the higher end of the spectrum. I have a Seek Outside (SO) Revolution 6,300 which is only 3oz more than their 4,800. It's a no brainer as 3oz is lost in the grand scheme of things, it provides 32% more room, and rolls down into nothing if you don't use all the capacity.

https://seekoutside.com/hunting-backpacks/

You want the ability to put meat in a bag in between your backpack's frame and its bag. Many of SO packs have that capability. When you're backpacking and it begins to rain, it is more convenient to have a pack that is waterproof already rather than having to stop, take off you pack, then put on pack cover. SO bags are already waterproof so you can keep going regardless the weather.

You need to determine whether you want a variety of compartments in the main bag or not. I prefer not to so I have and extra pouch in the back (1,100ci) that comes with SO 6,300, a top lid (500ci), and two side pouches on the backpack belt (~500+ci). Other packs like the SO Saker have outside compartments for easy access.

While 3oz doesn't matter much, 3 lbs does when carried over a number of miles. Someone can correct me if i"m wrong but I think Seek Outside backpacks are the lightest of the big-name hunting packs.

hikenhunt

WKR
I agree with wiiawiwb that you should buy a with the ability to load meat between the frame and pack.

My Kuiu pack is great, but it doesn't work for everyone. It would definitely be helpful to try a few on with some weight if you have the chance to.

I honestly believe you cant go wrong with any of the big names out there, I'm a Kifaru fanboi admittedly but Exo, Mystery Ranch, and Stone Glacier all make great packs as well.

I'd avoid Kuiu, Tenzing, or Badlands but other than that pick one of the big names that fit the size you want and you should be good to go.

Scour the classifieds here too and you can usually find good deals
Why would you avoid KUIU? Just curious

I would recommend going bigger vs smaller. The weight penalty if small (often no penalty at all), and a bigger pack that can compress down just provides that much more flexibility. I have the Kifaru Fulcrum. It is a 7800 sq in pack, if I recall, but it actually weights less, or the same as some of the popular smaller packs like the 44 mag. I have used Eblerstock J1 (I think) and Kuiu Icon 7200 packs. My Kuiu pack is an older model, and a good pack, but it didn't handle loads over about 65 lbs very well. The newer model might be better. The Eblerstock is just heavy and uncomfortable for its size. I leave weights in it and use it for workouts. I would look to the Kifaru, Stone Glaciers and Exo packs. I would have saved money if I just bought a top tier pack in the first place.