Choosing a bow- new limbs or new bow

kyleds8

FNG
Hey all,

I've been getting into trad archery. I've been shooting my dad's old Samick recurve, fiberglass, around 30lbs, all through the spring and summer, and I fancy going after it this season. The dream would be to hunt with a traditional longbow or horsebow, but at this moment I don't want to dive to deep into gear, rather focus on shooting. couple questions for you knowledgable folks:

I don't like wasting money on intermediate gear, how much for a solid longbow or horsebow for hunting? am I better off just getting some heavier poundage limbs for the recurve this season and making a bigger investment next year? capable poundage for deer, elk, bear? type of arrows and broadheads?

good used bows?

apologies for being a lazy ass and not just doing the research, but I'd rather be shooting and I figure y'all with experience know better!

oldgoat

WKR
Stay away from the horsebow till you are very very proficient, they aren't designed to even be drawn to what we consider a full draw, but rather short drawn and shot at very personal distances. Get the heavier limbs for now.

The Samicks shoot really well for the price. I’ve harvested a number of whitetails with mine at 50lbs, all of them pass throughs including a few shoulder blades except one that hit heavy bone. Personally I’d go that route and spend the money elsewhere. But I see the appeal of having a nice, pretty bow. Time shooting your bow will make you deadly, not so much the bow itself

OP
K

kyleds8

FNG
The Samicks shoot really well for the price. I’ve harvested a number of whitetails with mine at 50lbs, all of them pass throughs including a few shoulder blades except one that hit heavy bone. Personally I’d go that route and spend the money elsewhere. But I see the appeal of having a nice, pretty bow. Time shooting your bow will make you deadly, not so much the bow itself
thanks for the responses, I'll try to pick up some used samick 50# limbs. currently shooting carbon arrows, is that the way to go? what kinda weight should i aim for with arrows?

all the best

thanks for the responses, I'll try to pick up some used samick 50# limbs. currently shooting carbon arrows, is that the way to go? what kinda weight should i aim for with arrows?

all the best

I like carbon for the durability. I was shooting 340 spine gold tip warriors full length with standard inserts and 250gr points. Not 100% sure of my total weight...but it flew flat and had enough energy set up that way.

Ideally you would buy 2 bareshafts of a few different spines (300, 340, 400 probably). Buy a “test kit” of fieldpoint weights. Then you can test different combinations until you find the arrow flight you’re looking for. If you can work on consistent form, this method will make it pretty clear what a good dynamic spine will be for your own form and poundage. You can keep your test kit forever and use it on recurve, compound, etc