Choosing a bow

bobr1

WKR
Hey guys,

I used to shoot archery way back in the day before I joined the military and it seems technology and bows have changed a lot since then. Not that I am out and moving to Montana I want to get back into it and I am trying to decide on a bow. I see the price range seems to be around $500 for an okay bow and over $1000 for a high end bow. Would it be better to spend more initially or does the price only reflect things that you can go without and really don't need. I want it to be a long term investment so I am fine with spending the higher amount on a quality bow. After researching and my friends recommendations I'm mostly biased towards getting the Bowtech reign 7. But I'm still looking for recommendations for other bows as well. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Bob

Wellsdw

WKR
I bought a new Bow last year that was a model from previous year off eBay. ( bear arena 34)Most come with warrantys if they are “new” and you’ll pay sometimes about half price. Honestly from one year to the next I can’t tell I big improvements to justify the cost between a 17’, 18’. Id spend money on a good rest and sights and better arrows. thanks for your service.

I bought a new Bow last year that was a model from previous year off eBay. ( bear arena 34)Most come with warrantys if they are “new” and you’ll pay sometimes about half price. Honestly from one year to the next I can’t tell I big improvements to justify the cost between a 17’, 18’. Id spend money on a good rest and sights and better arrows. thanks for your service.

Similar sentiments. I bought a “mid-grade” overstock bow from the previous model year and received a good discount. I bought a high grade rest, high grade stabilizer, mid grade sight and arrows.

The next year I upgraded my sight, release, and arrows. Then I had a problem with the bow, but the warranty upgraded me to a current year model.

Basically, set aside about $800-$1000 for sight, release, stabilizers, and arrows. Then, buy the best bow your budget will allow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you know what you want from within the last few years Archery talk and ebay are your friend. I just picked up a nicely equipped Reign 7 a month ago for about 1/2 of what it would have cost from a shop.

If you know what you want from within the last few years Archery talk and ebay are your friend. I just picked up a nicely equipped Reign 7 a month ago for about 1/2 of what it would have cost from a shop.

X3, I’ll never buy a new bow again.

OP
B

bobr1

WKR
Okay, so I will look primarily at used bows. Any bow's you all recommend or is it just personal preference? Seems like the accessories are more important from peoples replies.

Lawnboi

WKR
Nothing wrong with a used bow but....

Take it for what it's worth, but I'd go to a shop and try out everything you can shoot, and choose the bow you like best, not the one your buddies say is best. As for new vs used, are you experienced enough to fit the bow to yourself, work on it if need be, or willing to pay a shop to do so. IMO some headache could be saved by buying from a reputable shop, that will not only set you up initially but provide service when it comes to tuning and upkeep, something that you may appreciate being that your getting back into it.

IMO if your really buying it as an investment that will last many years, I'd get exactly what you want and like, and look at price second.

Nothing wrong with a used bow but....

Take it for what it's worth, but I'd go to a shop and try out everything you can shoot, and choose the bow you like best, not the one your buddies say is best. As for new vs used, are you experienced enough to fit the bow to yourself, work on it if need be, or willing to pay a shop to do so. IMO some headache could be saved by buying from a reputable shop, that will not only set you up initially but provide service when it comes to tuning and upkeep, something that you may appreciate being that your getting back into it.

IMO if your really buying it as an investment that will last many years, I'd get exactly what you want and like, and look at price second.

I wholeheartedly agree with Lawnboi. I just purchased a new bow from an excellent shop in my area and the service and advice I received throughout the process was well worth the money I paid. They saved me tons of hassle trying to find the right accessories, gave me 1 on 1 tips on how to shoot better (as I test shot the bow), and pretty much did everything they could to make sure I was happy and satisfied with the purchase. Also they let me put the bow on layaway, so I could go to the shop, shoot the bow, adjust whatever I needed, swap different accessories etc. until I finished paying it off. This way when I walked out the door I knew exactly what I was getting and there was no doubt in my mind I’d be happy with the purchase.
Buy once cry once, especially if you want it to last for a while!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bows are personal preference. I'd recommend shooting a reign, PSE evolve or carbon air Ecs, halon 32, prime centergy, and elite e35 if available at shops.

OP
B

bobr1

WKR
Alright, I might have to wait until I move to get a bow then if I want to buy it new. There is good shop here but its pretty expensive and we will be moving pretty soon so I would lose a lot of the benefit of buying it in the shop. If I can find a good deal used I may do that. I'll just see how the cards fall. Thanks for all the advice.