Choosing a broadhead based on sight picture

D.Rose

Lil-Rokslider
Does anyone else do this? I have tried several different heads and styles but for some reason my eye is just dialed to a certain broadheads sight picture. Would you choose a lesser quality built head if your eye much preferred and shot it better over others? Or would you figure out a way to adjust to a higher quality broadhead?

Depends a lot on what you're looking for in a broadhead I guess.

I've only ever shot two-blade broadheads and tend to organise my inserts and arrow build in a way that sees my broadheads close to horizontal when I'm at full draw with a slight cant. This is great for sight picture and also great for gap shooting as a point-on involves essentially cutting the animal in half lengthways.

A three-blade broadhead would make this difficult but I've never shot one so I can't comment.

oldgoat

WKR
No, I reference the end of the arrow in the very small amount of reference I pay to the arrow, I'd rather have a better broadhead! Also I use a few different types of broadheads, so I try not to pay to much attention to them in my sight picture!

LostArra

WKR
I never shoot enough horsepower to use anything but 2 blade. I like them oriented horizontally. Since I use the front of the arrow for aiming on some bows I like the broad head small (cutthroat 125).

On one recurve I've mounted a single brass pin as a sight since my old man eyes struggle in low light which happens to be most of my deer shots. The broadhead had no effect on aiming with the pin

Kentucky

WKR
Does anyone else do this? I have tried several different heads and styles but for some reason my eye is just dialed to a certain broadheads sight picture. Would you choose a lesser quality built head if your eye much preferred and shot it better over others? Or would you figure out a way to adjust to a higher quality broadhead?
I shoot 2 blade and aim off tip of insert…I think anyway..broadheads don’t effect my shot..I definitely using arrow to aim..but I use my insert for a “point on” shot.

not to derail… but what do you consider a lesser quality head? Well built?

Kentucky

WKR
I know that one year I killed an elk, a deer and a hog with the same Ace 2 blade broadhead and it's still ready for action. I would include Ace in well built.
Yeah that’s what I was wondering… with all the hype around big brands and expensive heads… I love Ace and zwickey points.. however I’m currently shooting cutthroats… but I’ll be going back to Ace after this season.

I got a good deal on these and I like them..but for the price of 6 Cutthroats, you can get 18-20 Ace heads and realistically make them last for 15 seasons, possibly forever, if you don’t lose them..

You guys that can see the heads on your arrows in dim light at full draw are doing better than I can do. All I can see is the shaft in my peripheral vision. So I guess I don't worry too much about which head I use and how it might affect my sight picture. I do typically use 2-blade heads and I do like to orient them horizontally, mostly because if I have a poor release, the arrow is more likely to fishtail sideways at the beginning than to porpise vertically. In theory, a horizontally oriented broadhead will have the least effect on a sideways-fishtailing arrow. Since the arrows don't start to spin until a good 4-5 yards downrange, I feel this gives me the best chance of the broadhead-tipped arrow of not planing off-line.

OP
D.Rose

D.Rose

Lil-Rokslider
I shoot 2 blade and aim off tip of insert…I think anyway..broadheads don’t effect my shot..I definitely using arrow to aim..but I use my insert for a “point on” shot.
not to derail… but what do you consider a lesser quality head? Well built?
Right now I’m shooting the simmons swamp shark. At full draw i cant see and of the main point. All i can see is the insert in my arrow and the the blades coming off each side. When I say lesser quality I mean compared to a much more rigid head like the cut throat.

Kentucky

WKR

Right now I’m shooting the simmons swamp shark. At full draw i cant see and of the main point. All i can see is the insert in my arrow and the the blades coming off each side. When I say lesser quality I mean compared to a much more rigid head like the cut throat.
So you think a Simmons head is better quality than a cutthroat? Being rigid is a quality I’d prefer in a broadhead.

either way.. if your saying that you get a better aim with the “lesser quality” cutthroat/Ace or that style, then you should get the those and get the better sight picture..because they don’t get much more bullet proof than those. A deer won’t be more dead from an Iron Will head vs. any other well placed shape 2 blade head

FLS

WKR
I prefer the “sight picture“ I get from an older carbon steel 2 blade Magnus

oldgoat

WKR
So something to consider, Randy Cooling for a night time leopard hunt starting wrapping a 1"ish piece of white, possibly reflective, can't remember for sure, piece of arrow wrap at the tip of the arrow and uses that now, I believe all the time to aim with. Highly visible and doesn't matter what type head you use, just thought I'd share sure food for thought!

Kentucky

WKR
So something to consider, Randy Cooling for a night time leopard hunt starting wrapping a 1"ish piece of white, possibly reflective, can't remember for sure, piece of arrow wrap at the tip of the arrow and uses that now, I believe all the time to aim with. Highly visible and doesn't matter what type head you use, just thought I'd share sure food for thought!
I do the same thing with a 1/2” wide piece of a chartreuse arrow wrap.. I don’t really notice it much during daylight, but dawn and dusk it makes a huge difference

Warmsy

WKR
I got those white arrows and use the junction of the impact collar and white shaft to determine how many arrow widths I have to hold under.

Kentucky

WKR
I got those white arrows and use the junction of the impact collar and white shaft to determine how many arrow widths I have to hold under.
I had some, those babies shine big time… I could pick out my bow in the wood leaned against a tree from 75 yards..

mattflint

FNG
You guys that can see the heads on your arrows in dim light at full draw are doing better than I can do. All I can see is the shaft in my peripheral vision. So I guess I don't worry too much about which head I use and how it might affect my sight picture. I do typically use 2-blade heads and I do like to orient them horizontally, mostly because if I have a poor release, the arrow is more likely to fishtail sideways at the beginning than to porpise vertically. In theory, a horizontally oriented broadhead will have the least effect on a sideways-fishtailing arrow. Since the arrows don't start to spin until a good 4-5 yards downrange, I feel this gives me the best chance of the broadhead-tipped arrow of not planing off-line.
White paint helps a lot.

Kentucky

WKR
Sweet. I can blame my lack of success on that! It's nice to know it's not me.
I hear ya.. they are great arrows.. I loved them, just a little too much pop for me.. they did help aim and seeing arrow flight,… I may be over thinking it but I figured whitetails would see them in flight as well?? Idk… just me being paranoid I suppose…

Another thing that helps gaping off arrow/ point like OP was talking about is the 9/32 shaft with the ramped up insert… makes it easy to use..