Choosing A bullet?

Rich M

WKR
I shot this bull with a 100 gr. Nosler Partition out of my 6mm Remington in the timber shown at about 30 yards. I didn't want him running down anyplace as I had to pack him up to the top of the ridge as it was so I shot in on the point of his right shoulder. He was slightly angled and the bullet went through the shoulder and exited out the left side of his neck just in front of that shoulder. He staggered only a couple steps after the shot and dropped. He was done but I put one more at the base of his ear just to be sure. He was dressed out by the time the pic was taken and blood on snow always looks like a lot more than it is. Sorry the picture is not very tasteful.
View attachment 186135
Thanks, 6mm.
Appreciate the replies. I'm running w760 for powder.

That's a heck of an animal to get a pass thru on. Exactly why I was focusing on the NP bullets. Picture is fine.

The 100 gr np is at 2900 fps w 40 gr powder.

Haven't shot the 95 gr version yet. Have some loaded and waiting to go to the range.

PA Hunter

WKR
If it’s for hunting I only use accubonds, I know roughly how far to seat out and what powder to use. It’s just the exact charge I play with but I’ve been doing this 40 years so I know about where to start.

Rob5589

WKR
Different bullets for different uses. Make sure that your bullet isn’t too heavy for your barrel twist rate then figure out what you like

That chart is far too generic. The bullet manufacturer is the best place to find twist rec's. Also, bullet length is the correct indicator for twist rate.

Sweetyzfd

FNG
That chart is far too generic. The bullet manufacturer is the best place to find twist rec's. Also, bullet length is the correct indicator for twist rate.

It’s a ballpark He says he’s new to reloading. Some guys have no clue that bullet weight is important for selecting the right bullet for the barrel.

mvrk28

WKR
The best tool anybody can use to determine bullet stability is at the link below. I've used this tool to aid in development of multiple sub half moa loads.

16Bore

WKR
How’s that analysis paralysis now? 😂

Wind Gypsy is spot on. Start with a bullet that is going to have the features/behavior you want, then go from there. As long as it suits the twist, the rest is details.

Figure it out from the intended target to the rifle, not rifle to the intended target.

OP
Glockster26
I’m gonna start out with Hornady 95 grain SST‘s for my .243. The main reason the gun range carries them so they are a little bit easier to get and they should do everything I need my 243 to do. I have a couple powders picked out I’m gonna experiment with.
On my 308 I’m gonna try to match the Hornady 168 grain ELD M factory round. Again I got a few powders picked out just us going to see what will get me close. On my 223 I will eventually load up some 77 TMK or 75 ELD M and play with those.