Choosing a caliber during these tough times

Torrey in Tahoe

Lil-Rokslider
Hello all, I'm getting back into big game hunting after many years away and looking for a new rifle. I'm in NV so will be hunting pronghorn, mule deer and elk. There are a lot of great new calibers out there that didn't exist thirty years ago. Ideally, I would be interested in something like a 300 WSM or 28 Nosler but with ammo being as scarce as it is, that has to be a major consideration. When I was hunting in the early 90's, .270 Win was my preferred caliber and as I'm looking for ammo availability, it seems to be one of the most plentiful calibers out there right now. I don't think anyone knows how long this shortage will last. It may be fairly short lived or a new reality for several years. Given the current situation, how many of you would consider .270 Win for my situation? Thanks

B23

WKR
Hello all, I'm getting back into big game hunting after many years away and looking for a new rifle. I'm in NV so will be hunting pronghorn, mule deer and elk. There are a lot of great new calibers out there that didn't exist thirty years ago. Ideally, I would be interested in something like a 300 WSM or 28 Nosler but with ammo being as scarce as it is, that has to be a major consideration. When I was hunting in the early 90's, .270 Win was my preferred caliber and as I'm looking for ammo availability, it seems to be one of the most plentiful calibers out there right now. I don't think anyone knows how long this shortage will last. It may be fairly short lived or a new reality for several years. Given the current situation, how many of you would consider .270 Win for my situation? Thanks
If you used a 270 before and had success shooting those same animals nothing has really changed with the 270 Win and there is no reason it won't serve you well now. In fact, depending on how long it's been since you were using a 270Win, if anything I'd say it may have gotten better because of the newer powders and bullets we now have.

Totally agree on .270. I bought a 300wm recently and have seen ZERO ammunition that wasn’t so overpriced that I just passed on it out of being hard-headed. I’m currently buying all 270 I see and will get a rifle later! I have also found 308, which I do have, but don’t prefer. I WISH I had bought a .270.

go_deep

WKR
I exclusivity shot a .270 for everything, if or when I draw a bison or moose license I'll still be using the .270. As far as the ammo is concerned, with online retailers I think you'll likely find the ammo you need.

TN2shot07

WKR
It’d be hard to go wrong getting another 270. You can get as nice a rifle as you want to pay for in a package the average person can carry and shoot well. Find some premium bullets that it likes to shoot and add the difference in ammo to your glass budget.

I’ve never been without a 270. Shoots flat (within the realm of the average hunter), kills stuff, doesn’t kick hard, feeds smooth. I feel like its lack of Creedtard credentials (long action, tapered case, slow twist, kicks so hard the manbun comes undone) helps keep it in stock.

Now there are powders that can push 150gr bullets at 3000 fps. I use a load that pushes 3000 fps with a 140gr bullet and I could hunt for any deer, elk, or pronghorn with it and not be concerned as long as I kept ranges within my ability.

Forest

WKR
Seems like it goes in cycles, depending on the companies your store sells and what they are producing at the time. Just cause the 270 is available today doesn't mean it'll be there a month from now. At least that's what I'm noticing locally.
Now there is nothing wrong with the 270, but I wouldn't necessarily buy it just cause you can get ammo today for it. Unless that's what you want anyways!

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

kit_man_duu

Lil-Rokslider
I have seen hunting ammo for 300 wsm and 7mm wsm but nothing else for any other caliber. Unless you already have a firearm chambered in these, then I would post a WTB thread in the classified section and see if anyone can sell you some 270win ammo.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Personally I'd go 30.06. Far wider range of weights and likely most plentiful. Though can't go wrong with 270.
Heck, our Sportsmans had more 300WM than almost any other caliber a couple of weeks ago.

My 60 years on earth tell me there will be plenty of ammo in a few months. We're already seeing prices start the inevitable crash after a presidential election gun panic.

OP
Torrey in Tahoe

Torrey in Tahoe

Lil-Rokslider
Seems like it goes in cycles, depending on the companies your store sells and what they are producing at the time. Just cause the 270 is available today doesn't mean it'll be there a month from now. At least that's what I'm noticing locally.
Now there is nothing wrong with the 270, but I wouldn't necessarily buy it just cause you can get ammo today for it. Unless that's what you want anyways!

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
Great advice. Don't want to be short sighted, but I do want to be able to do a lot of shooting with it right away and I do love the caliber. Visited Cabelas, Scheel's and a couple of the long time gun stores in Reno today; all had 270 and 308 but little else.