Choosing a scope - need advise

krist003

Lil-Rokslider
Hey there group,

I'm looking for a scope to put on an AR15 that will be used for coyote hunting. I'm not building anything too serious, just something to have fun with in the off season.

The best deal I have found so far is this Vortex Viper Gen 1 2.5-10x44 for $350 (new).

Before I pull the trigger, I wanted to reach out and see if anyone had any better suggestions. I have a Vortex Razor LHT on my deer rifle, and its a great scope, but I don't want to get too deep into this coyote rig. $350 seems just about right for what I want to spend and I think the value is there since it was originally a $700-800 scope.

Any input is appreciated!

I scoped my AR and ended up changing to a red dot. I should have done that the first time. Maybe something to think about. You could also run a magnifier on the red dot and get the best of both. Concerning your original question I bet that scope would be great for what you are wanting.

Zappaman

WKR
I use a lighter Weaver K6 (Japanese made) fixed 6x power WITH a Romeo 5 on top (using a rail that attaches to the scope). Super lightweight scope (11 oz) and easy to go up to the red-dot when the pigs are are 30 yards out too ;) I also have a nice (wide throw) 300 meter light on the front to light up the field for either site I chose to use. Killed a lot of pigs and a few yotes, but fast shooting after the light comes on!

OP
krist003

krist003

Lil-Rokslider
For right around $400 you can get an Athlon Helos Gen 2 2-12x42 and it is much more bang for your buck than that Vortex.
Thanks I'll look into that. Do they offer a similar scope in second focal plane? I'm not big on FFP scopes.

ChrisAU

WKR
Thanks I'll look into that. Do they offer a similar scope in second focal plane? I'm not big on FFP scopes.

They do but I haven't had my hands on any of them, and they are in more classic hunting styles, i.e. not meant for dialing.

cobbc03

Lil-Rokslider
I just went through this for my yote rifle. I ended up with a meopta optika6 over a viper after looking at reviews, and I'm glad I did. For that price you can get the optika5 2-10X42. I bought from cameraland, they have the best deals you'll find.

OP
krist003

krist003

Lil-Rokslider
I just went through this for my yote rifle. I ended up with a meopta optika6 over a viper after looking at reviews, and I'm glad I did. For that price you can get the optika5 2-10X42. I bought from cameraland, they have the best deals you'll find.
I have actually been leaning towards the meopta scopes now too. I have meopta 10x and 15x binoculars and feel very confident in their optics. Thanks

Hawkeyes

FNG
These folks got Meoptas on sale for 16% off. The Optika5 4-20x50 SFP with the Z plus reticle but I'd go for the illuminated version instead for quick target acquisition.

Advantage nice glass comparable to cheaper Leupolds I would say in between the VX2 and VX3. Disadvantage lose track of how many revs on the turret no markings no zero stop.

.https://www.sportoptics.com/meopta-rifle-scopes.html

If you are only using it for a .223 then these $200 scopes absolutely won't be beat unless you spend at least 4x the price. Glass is noticeably nicer than the Vortex Diamondback Tactical, Strike Eagle, and Viper PST Gen 2 and the closest comparable scopes are the Athlon Ares BTRs that sell for $800 and $860 also made in China. I had owned all of these and already compared them. Advantage Athlon has a FFP reticle VS SFP and has a zero stop and illumination not as daytime bright in side by side comparisons. Disadvantage Athlon no included sunshade no included scope lens covers for more than 3x the price. Both carry lifetime warranties both made in China both are built like tanks. If extreme clarity and brightness are important to you then these will make you very happy once you look through them. They are clearer than the Meopta 5 series and almost comparable to the VX3. You have to see for yourself to believe it 6 fold magnification range with unbelievably bright and clear glass from minimum to maximum.

This vendor is currently the cheapest place to buy them from and are trustworthy. Other places charge 40 to 50% more for these scopes. Ordered from then several times already. They had a flat rate of $16 UPS shipping no matter how many items you buy.

2.5-15x50 30mm If 15x is enough for your longest shots-

4.5-27x50 30mm If you need or prefer higher magnification with a low enough start of 4.5x-

For price reference only-

YouTube review-

Hawkeyes

FNG
If you are content on that Vortex it's cheaper here with free shipping and up to 90 day satisfaction guarantee policy usually with free return shipping label.

I have issues with several of my Vortex scopes with artifacts appearing in their glass one on 3 years old and another in 4 months since cracking open the plastic outer wrapper still unused. Artifacts weren't there when I first inspected it. All of them are made in China.

GMB54-120

Lil-Rokslider
If you are content on that Vortex it's cheaper here with free shipping and up to 90 day satisfaction guarantee policy usually with free return shipping label.

I have issues with several of my Vortex scopes with artifacts appearing in their glass one on 3 years old and another in 4 months since cracking open the plastic outer wrapper still unused. Artifacts weren't there when I first inspected it. All of them are made in China.
All of what are made in China? The Vipers???....Dont think so. Every single Viper scope ive looked at was made in Philippines.

ChrisAU

WKR

I'm far from a Vortex fan, bu I just got one of those 2.5-10x44 PST Gen 1's from Midway, and I reallllyy like it so far for what it costs. And it is made in the Philippines.

Hawkeyes

FNG
I meant that the Chinese Vortexes I own have the issues. They are the ones below the Viper line.

Really? Care to show pics of the artifacts in those Vortex scopes? You know, you can send them back to Vortex and get a chance to see if their customer service is as good as your experiences with Bushnell and Athlon customer service?

Last edited:

Hawkeyes

FNG
I plan on sending them back under warranty. This will be my first warranty experience with Vortex.