Choosing Boots

txjustin

Lil-Rokslider
Ok, I got my order in from blackovis and need to decide which one to keep. I have never had a quality hunting/mountaineering boot before so i want to make sure I know what to look for in fit.

I ordered kenetrek mountain extreme 400 and crispi Nevada 200g.

Upon initial try on with a boot sock they both feel nice on my feet. The kenetrek feel a little more snug. The crispi are a little more loose. I plan on trying them both on later today with a thicker wool sock to make my decision.

Any help would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My vote would be for kenetrek but if they are snug now they will be tight after a few miles when your feet stretch out. Did you get the correct size? Some feet gain a 1/2 or even a full size when hiking, especially with a heavy pack.

OP
T

txjustin

Lil-Rokslider
My vote would be for kenetrek but if they are snug now they will be tight after a few miles when your feet stretch out. Did you get the correct size? Some feet gain a 1/2 or even a full size when hiking, especially with a heavy pack.

I ordered my regular tennis shoe size. Also, my right foot is about 1/2 size smaller than my left due to a past surgery.

They snugged you when i tightened them firmly.

I’ll play with them later today to get a better feel.

Thanks for the response

Something to think about is kenetrek, and I am sure others, do prescription boots. My old man had polio and told me this year his ankle was too weak to walk around hunting anymore. I researched it and kenetrek does orthopedic boots which he is looking into with his insurance. Might be something you can do as well if your foot size is off from surgery.

I usually wear a 9.5 or a 10 in shoes so I am sure I am right in the middle and ordered a 10 boot and they fit great while hiking. I used to do 9.5 Wide as well. After the break in on a quality boot they really don’t stretch much. A cheaper boot tends to stretch a 1/2 size IMO.

Last edited:

kadechiz

FNG
My input is related to the insulation. I tend to go with less insulation than more for two reasons. First, I can wear them in a wider variety of weather and second, somehow my feet tend to stay cold in the insulation. My hands and feet are always cold and it's just harder to warm up in heavy insulation. For that reason I go lower. I do appreciate the snug fit on the other boot though as they will break in.

gelton

WKR
Careful as leather boots tend to shrink over time from getting wet then drying...also like the commenter above said, with insulation, less is more...especially if you plan on doing any archery hunting early season.

OP
T

txjustin

Lil-Rokslider
Careful as leather boots tend to shrink over time from getting wet then drying...also like the commenter above said, with insulation, less is more...especially if you plan on doing any archery hunting early season.

I am hunting 3rd rifle Colorado. That’s not to say I’ll hunter other times next year.

Jn78

Lil-Rokslider
My experience is a bit different with boots and shrinkage.

I think the boots will not really shrink if you treat them right - consistently condition the leather and do not expose the boots to high heat, especially when wet. If you prop your wet boots by the campfire or heating vent, they will shrink.

However, the insulation will pack out just a bit and the boot should feel slightly more loose in time.

Ok, I got my order in from blackovis and need to decide which one to keep. I have never had a quality hunting/mountaineering boot before so i want to make sure I know what to look for in fit.

I ordered kenetrek mountain extreme 400 and crispi Nevada 200g.

Upon initial try on with a boot sock they both feel nice on my feet. The kenetrek feel a little more snug. The crispi are a little more loose. I plan on trying them both on later today with a thicker wool sock to make my decision.

Any help would be appreciated.

I used Crispi for about 2 years and really liked them. Excellent comfort and the tread gripped really well, you feel like you never slip. I would wear them to work in 0 degree weather and feet would still be warm and dry. Have never worn Kenetrek. A good test would be to tie them up snug and kick your toe into the ground hard, 7-8 times and if it hurts or feels like your toe will pinch then you will probably get some toe punch. Also walk around a bunch and feel for heel slippage.

OP
T

txjustin

Lil-Rokslider
Decided to keep the crispis. Once I cinch them up tight they really fit well and no slippage. Thanks everyone!

Decided to keep the crispis. Once I cinch them up tight they really fit well and no slippage. Thanks everyone!

Good choice, I absolutely love my Nevada Legends. You might want to look into insoles like Superfeet Greens. Even if you don't have problems with the stock insoles, aftermarket ones can fill the shoe a bit more while at the same time offering more comfort and support.

OP
T

txjustin

Lil-Rokslider
Good choice, I absolutely love my Nevada Legends. You might want to look into insoles like Superfeet Greens. Even if you don't have problems with the stock insoles, aftermarket ones can fill the shoe a bit more while at the same time offering more comfort and support.

I took the greens out of my tennis shoes and put them in. That worked nicely!

I just picked up the Crispi Wild Rock GTX one half size larger than I would normally purchase. They fit really well with a liner sock, VBL sock and a thick wool sock.