Choosing Cartridge based on Existing Supplies

rokbottom

Lil-Rokslider
Hey everyone,

I'm sitting on 5lbs of 8208XBR and 5000 Remington 7.5 SRPs. I stocked up on these mainly for shooting 223, but I'm looking to get a new rifle in a larger caliber. It will be mainly for whitetail, black bear, and elk.

Obviously, it's not ideal to choose the cartridge based on the powder/primer, but in today's environment it is alot easier finding bullets and brass. This is especially true since I'm going to venture on quite a bit of shooting this spring/summer in anticipation of the season.

I've had in my mind the following cartridges:
- 6.5 Creedmoor
- 7mm08
- 7 SAW

I think the biggest issue will be finding one that this combination works well. I can find SRP 6.5 brass, but 8208 isn't ideal. It seems like 8208 will be okay in 7mm08, but the SRP might not be ideal. 7 SAW utilizes SRP brass, but Clayton/WTO hasn't tested 8208.

Any other thoughts on cartridges that would work with 8208/Rem 7.5?

2five7

WKR
Powder isn't really that hard to find right now, primers are available, but more expensive than they should be. But, buying 1000 primers for $100 instead of the $35 we use to pay is not really a big deal when you're talking about a hunting rifle.

Don't base a long term rifle project on short term component availability.

Wapiti1

WKR
I would also lean .308 Win and 155 to 165gr bullets if I was solely tied to 8208. Even 30-06 will work with that powder.

Honestly, I'd pick another powder/cartridge combo that you really like and find that. In 3-4 months, the powder landscape will be different as will the primer landscape. Even last spring availability was bad, but not impossible. About August, it went to impossible due to hunting season being right around the corner. Supplies will change as use declines over winter.

Patience is your friend at this time.

Jeremy

I think a 6.5 creed is a fine cartridge to have around. Can get small primer brass, and there’s plenty of factory ammo around. Since you reload, the case design is really conducive to long life.

I’ve fallen back in love with the .308 though. After chasing the PRS bandwagon around, dealing with sub-2000 round barrel life, and chasing the lands after every match….a 175 smk cruising along at 2550 fps is relaxing like broken in jeans on Saturday morning.

And 5000 round barrel life too? All smiles.

OP
R

rokbottom

Lil-Rokslider
Appreciate the responses so far.

I agree with the comments with respect to not limiting myself based on the specific powder/primers that I have currently on hand.

My reason for starting the thread is that I do like to shoot/practice quite a bit, so I need keep a healthy stock of components. Any commonality between cartridges is helpful.

Before starting to stock up on other components, I just wanted to solicit feedback. Ultimately, I'll probably start stocking other components.

Last edited: