Choosing CO legal Muzzy

tdcour

FNG
I've hunted CO a handful of times with a muzzleloader and just borrowed a buddies gun. I'm looking to finally get my own. I was shooting a TC of my buddies and thought it shot really well, but seeing as they aren't around anymore I'm trying to decide between the Knight Mountaineer or Ultra-Lite and the CVA LR-X or MR-X. I plan on putting Williams sights on it.

I typically backpack hunt whether it is archery or muzzleloader, so a light gun would be better, but I also don't want to feel like a mule is kicking me everytime I shoot it. I do have a pretty heavy bow I pack in with me, so the weight isn't a deal breaker in my opinion. In the past I've shot 90-100 grains by volume of BH209 with a Thor 300 grain bullet. Not interested in a .45. Going to work up a load for both elk and deer, so a .50 is the only thing I'm interested in.

Knight thoughts: Lots of positive reviews, but I'm still waiting on "customer service" to call me back about a few things. No nitride barrels at this time which stinks. Not sure if Cerakote would be better than stainless. Never used the bolt type guns, so a little nervous there. Supposedly harder to clean. I just need to decide if I want the heavier, longer gun or if the UL would do everything I needed it to.

CVA thoughts: I do like the bergara barrel and adjustability with stock and threaded barrel. Not sure I'd use a brake, but nice to at least have the option. Same thoughts on carry weight and performance as Knight. Break open design is more familiar to me. Apparently can have some issues with breach plug when using 209 if it isn't cleaned enough? Not really a fan of the tent pole design for a rod. Would buy my own solid for packing in to load and clean with. Apparently some issues with rear sight not having enough adjustability and needing an additional shim to get it high enough. Really concerned about the barrel sizing issues I'm reading about and I have no desire to shoot a powerbelt to "fix" the issue.

I moved to Texas a few years ago and there are zero muzzleloaders where I'm at so I won't be able to handle any of the rifles prior to ordering.

I'll be following, as I'm in the exact same boat as you. I wish CO would allow .45 cal because looking at the paramount chart, they are using less powder than a 50 cal and getting more speed and surprisingly to me, energy.
As far as muzzle brake, I've never shot max loads of what some of these guns are capable of these days, so it's an appealing option. Any companies other than CVA make a threaded barrel ML?

OXN939

WKR
I've hunted CO a handful of times with a muzzleloader and just borrowed a buddies gun. I'm looking to finally get my own. I was shooting a TC of my buddies and thought it shot really well, but seeing as they aren't around anymore I'm trying to decide between the Knight Mountaineer or Ultra-Lite and the CVA LR-X or MR-X. I plan on putting Williams sights on it.

I typically backpack hunt whether it is archery or muzzleloader, so a light gun would be better, but I also don't want to feel like a mule is kicking me everytime I shoot it. I do have a pretty heavy bow I pack in with me, so the weight isn't a deal breaker in my opinion. In the past I've shot 90-100 grains by volume of BH209 with a Thor 300 grain bullet. Not interested in a .45. Going to work up a load for both elk and deer, so a .50 is the only thing I'm interested in.

Knight thoughts: Lots of positive reviews, but I'm still waiting on "customer service" to call me back about a few things. No nitride barrels at this time which stinks. Not sure if Cerakote would be better than stainless. Never used the bolt type guns, so a little nervous there. Supposedly harder to clean. I just need to decide if I want the heavier, longer gun or if the UL would do everything I needed it to.

CVA thoughts: I do like the bergara barrel and adjustability with stock and threaded barrel. Not sure I'd use a brake, but nice to at least have the option. Same thoughts on carry weight and performance as Knight. Break open design is more familiar to me. Apparently can have some issues with breach plug when using 209 if it isn't cleaned enough? Not really a fan of the tent pole design for a rod. Would buy my own solid for packing in to load and clean with. Apparently some issues with rear sight not having enough adjustability and needing an additional shim to get it high enough. Really concerned about the barrel sizing issues I'm reading about and I have no desire to shoot a powerbelt to "fix" the issue.

I moved to Texas a few years ago and there are zero muzzleloaders where I'm at so I won't be able to handle any of the rifles prior to ordering.

That Accura MR-X is high speed. You don't lose much terminal performance by going 26" barrel, so that's what I'd do personally. Get the Thor sizing pack, find the one that fits your barrel, load it over 90 grains by volume of BH209 and you'll almost certainly have a rig that shoots better than anyone can with irons

OP
tdcour

tdcour

FNG
That Accura MR-X is high speed. You don't lose much terminal performance by going 26" barrel, so that's what I'd do personally. Get the Thor sizing pack, find the one that fits your barrel, load it over 90 grains by volume of BH209 and you'll almost certainly have a rig that shoots better than anyone can with irons
The knight ultra-lite and the mr-x have very similar specifications on weight, barrel length, twist, etc. I do still have a sizing pack and about 20 rounds of Thor 300s in a .502. My luck they won’t fit whatever I buy though.

Any thoughts on the barrel and breach plug issues I’m reading about with the mr-x?

OXN939

WKR
The knight ultra-lite and the mr-x have very similar specifications on weight, barrel length, twist, etc. I do still have a sizing pack and about 20 rounds of Thor 300s in a .502. My luck they won’t fit whatever I buy though.

Any thoughts on the barrel and breach plug issues I’m reading about with the mr-x?

Yeah just grab a sizing pack. They're cheap and once you have them, you can size and order ammo for any rifle you ever own.

Not sure which breech plug issues you're referring to. I have 2 CVAs that all use the same breech plug system, and it's the MOST reliable and easy breech plug setup to use of any muzzleloader I have, probably because of its simplicity. In fact, I have a T/C Encore ($750 rifle) that generally sits around during blackpowder season while I hunt with my my Wolf ($99 rifle). Be willing to bet there are probably other dudes out there who have multiple 130+" deer on a rifle that cost less than a full tank of gas for a full size truck.

My only slight annoyance with the CVA breech plug setup is that the threads are relatively small and low pitch, so it takes quite a few revolutions to remove. All good to go other than that.

OP
tdcour

tdcour

FNG
I've been looking into that as well. I actually emailed Williams to see if that was true or if there was a generic globe that would work.

OP
tdcour

tdcour

FNG
I wish I could get my hands on one of these. I'm wondering if a dovetail and a lyman globe would work on the front then just get a williams peep for the front. Would want to upgrade the inserts for the front though if I went with Lyman

Evergreen

WKR
I have the MRX, Williams peep while pushed quite always forward still works. Though I’m zeroed at 100 yards if that makes a difference for you. My load is 130g 777 pellets with 270g powerbelt LR. I’m not a huge fan of the ram rod but it does work and you have to remember to bring it with you. Breech plug works fine just keep it greased up! Overall I love the gun and it’s pretty accurate for my older eyes.

OP
tdcour

tdcour

FNG
Thanks Evergreen. Did you have any issues with the barrel inside diameter being inconsistent? I've read quite a few instances where the barrel is tight, then loosens, then gets tighter as you seat the bullet.

With the Williams, are you shooting a globe on the front with cross hairs or a fiber sight?

I'm also looking at zeroing at 100 as well, so thanks for the info on 777. I'm having a terrible time getting additional Federal and CCI primers.

cnelk

WKR
My 'stock' CVA Accura V2 w/ Begarra barrel is set up for Colorado.

90gr [volume] Pyrodex P
420gr NoExcuses bullets [size .503]
Winchester Triple 7 primers

I ran a few bullets thru my chrono the other day - 1376fps

OP
tdcour

tdcour

FNG
I haven’t been able to find any of those BOR locks either. Would love a cheaper option than Thor but they shot dang good out of the gun I borrowed I figure the extra cost is worth it since that’s the part doing the work on the animal.

cnelk

WKR
I haven’t been able to find any of those BOR locks either. Would love a cheaper option than Thor but they shot dang good out of the gun I borrowed I figure the extra cost is worth it since that’s the part doing the work on the animal.

Give the No Excuses bullets a try. They also have a sizing pack

Ddubs20

FNG
I have the MRX, Williams peep while pushed quite always forward still works. Though I’m zeroed at 100 yards if that makes a difference for you. My load is 130g 777 pellets with 270g powerbelt LR. I’m not a huge fan of the ram rod but it does work and you have to remember to bring it with you. Breech plug works fine just keep it greased up! Overall I love the gun and it’s pretty accurate for my older eyes.
Pelletized powder is illegal in CO

OP
tdcour

tdcour

FNG
Well, finally got a call from Knight and ordered an Ultralight. Caught them right before the Nitride barrel comes available, so went ahead and put one on order so they can build one as it comes available. Super fantastic to talk to once you can get them on the phone!

Very excited to get the Nitride option and get my barrel sized for another round of Thor 300 grain bullets.

OP
tdcour

tdcour

FNG
I'll be following, as I'm in the exact same boat as you. I wish CO would allow .45 cal because looking at the paramount chart, they are using less powder than a 50 cal and getting more speed and surprisingly to me, energy.
As far as muzzle brake, I've never shot max loads of what some of these guns are capable of these days, so it's an appealing option. Any companies other than CVA make a threaded barrel ML?
After talking with Knight, the ultra-lite is a tapered barrel and isn’t recommended for a brake. Steve didn’t think I would need one though. The tapered barre would need a very good gunsmith to thread with it being thin at the end of the barrel. He also said it would have a lip where the brake and barrel met due to outside size differences.

Mountaineer could handle one supposedly but he said wouldn’t really need one on that one either. Not sure if this helps you any.

I haven’t seen any other threaded barrels unless it’s a custom gun in my searches

Evergreen

WKR
Thanks Evergreen. Did you have any issues with the barrel inside diameter being inconsistent? I've read quite a few instances where the barrel is tight, then loosens, then gets tighter as you seat the bullet.

With the Williams, are you shooting a globe on the front with cross hairs or a fiber sight?

I'm also looking at zeroing at 100 as well, so thanks for the info on 777. I'm having a terrible time getting additional Federal and CCI primers.
No issues with inconsistent barrel and using the stock single fiber optic front sight.