Choosing Merino Wool Base Layers

Looking to get my base layers settled. It looks like they range from $40-80. Wondering if there is a huge difference between Amazon’s brands and FL, Sitka, or Kuiu?

I’d like to get 100% if I can, but am open to suggestions.

Thanks

kevlar88

Lil-Rokslider
My experience is limited but I'll share it anyway. I started cheap and went with some Meriwool from amazon, because wool is wool right? They didn't last one gentle wash cycle per their directions and had a big hole in the thigh. My next venture was L.L. Bean and they've been going strong for the past year of everyday use.

If your skin is sensitive or the feel of different fabrics bother you then First Lite is about the only option. If any shirt and material generally doesn’t bother you then any brand will do. Black ovis is a good value through camo fire and Kryptek has been on there regularly as well. The blended Merino actually performs better than 100%. A few newer synthetics out are actually swaying me to go back to synthetic at least for colder and wet hunts.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
My Icebreaker and Minus 33 are actually softer than the First Lite I had, so I sold all my FL a few years ago. I've been wearing one of the 100% merino wool LS shirts from Costco off and on for the past few months and it's doing great. The last price I saw them for last week in store was $9.97. Really good value there.

Jdutton24

Lil-Rokslider
Looking to get my base layers settled. It looks like they range from $40-80. Wondering if there is a huge difference between Amazon’s brands and FL, Sitka, or Kuiu?

I’d like to get 100% if I can, but am open to suggestions.

Thanks
I love my first lite wool base layers. Not itchy. Really warm. Like the different weights. Just get a quality outer layer and ur gold

Another +1 for Minus 33. I have had a set of pants and top for close to 10 years and they have been awesome.

No complaints about the First Lite stuff, its just a little more expensive.

Kuiu's may be better now than it was years ago (no idea?), but if its not, no way I would suggest it. It doesnt even feel like wool.

I have a pair of WoolX boxers, black Ovis full base, and a bunch of FL. The black ovis has held up excellent and is IMO a good value but it is the least comfortable (feels a bit itchy). The woolx boxers are supper soft and comfortable and have probably 100 days of use and are just now showing wear, no holes yet but it’s only a matter of time. The FL is very comfortable too but I haven’t used any 1 piece regularly enough to comment on the durability, but I haven’t had the issues some complain about. Darn tough for socks all day every day

Rommy

Lil-Rokslider
First lite all day. Just make sure you get the blend.

Kuiu merino made my skin crawl and I would have scratched myself to the bone. It also didn’t seem as warm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ramses342

FNG
The First Lite merino has impressed me. Its definitely not an outer layer for the bush wracking hunting I do but it’s a great under layer for rain gear. In SE Alaska how it works under rain gear is what matters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RCL

WKR
I am using First Lite and some Black Ovis and both have held up well.

tgus59

Lil-Rokslider
I have Black Ovis bottoms, but the tops were too itchy, so I wear First Lite tops.