Choosing Merino Wool Base Layers

Block

WKR
I’ll have to give the first lite merino a try! Lot of thumbs ups it seems. Lately Iv been scratching my head how anyone can hike 3-5+ miles with merino + bino harness + backpack without feeling super sweaty and itchy... so far I’m a synthetic guy for shirts

Tbeck

FNG
Kings camo upgraded their merino lineup this past year. Great stuff and super affordable.

DVM92

FNG
I tried Black Ovis merino and although it was durable, it was itchy. Spent the extra $25.00 and went with first lite. Incredibly comfortable. No comparison.

DeerCatcherUT/CO

Lil-Rokslider
Look into smartwool. I work construction and I’m outside all day everyday rain, snow, or just plain cold. They’re extremely durable both the tops and bottoms. I wear them at least 150 times a year and wash them at least 75 times and have only had to replace one pair of bottoms in 4 years. They do not stink on an archery elk hunt for at least 4 days but don’t get much worse till day 6. They fit as good anything and are the softest and least abrasive I have used. I also have tried first lite and black ovis. Don’t buy black ovis merino underwear. I don’t have big legs by any means (6’1” and 180 lbs) and they are so tight on my thigh that they will pull themselves down off my waist as I walk uphill or bend into a squat position. Black ovis tops aren’t bad for the price but don’t use them nearly as much so I can’t swear by the durability for another few years

Paridgerunner

Lil-Rokslider
I have been running a full set of midweight Minus33 for about 5 years now for work and outdoor pursuits and has held up well, they also offer tall sizes. My wife has been running Smartwool and really likes them, they can be found on STP pretty often for half price as well. That being said I am going to give FL a try once their zip offs come out. Darn Tough for socks.
What is STP?

H80Hunter

WKR
I have some minus 33 midweight that is VERY comfortable but they haven’t held up anywhere near as good as my first lite. The slightly blended fabric must really increase the durability.

Paridgerunner

Lil-Rokslider
I have old top of the line cabelas stuff, might be Polartec as thats who made their ECWCS series. Its a blend, and held up forever nothing wrong w it but time for new. Been doing lots of research, WoolX makes a 400 for my stationary sits that I have read great things about. Guess I'm gonna order the FL furnace, wish they made a crew shirt why do I need a chest pocket on my base layer? I don't care if there camo and if Smartwool, Icebreakers or WoolX were as soft and free moving i would just purchase those. Can only buy from FL correct, no deals to be had?