Choosing New Binos

Youngbuck

FNG
So after searching through more threads than I can count, seems like for western rifle hunting, Swaro EL 12x50's are the way to go. My question is, someone like myself, where I'm from SC, and 95% of my hunting is in the woods hunting whitetail, and who's just in the planning stages of my first elk hunt, should I go with 10's or 12's. I'm a buy once, cry once kind of guy, but barring me hitting the powerball, no way I can afford both. Would 12's be too much for thick woods? FOV for the 10's are 345' vs 300' for the 12's. Also may be worth mention, for whitetail, these would be worn in a harness, but would mainly use them with tripod out west. Thanks

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I run the EL 10x50's myself and it works great for picking out elk and deer in my home of Colorado. If you plan on doing more then 2 hours of glassing a day then I would upgrade to the 12x50's just to help you on the hill unless you have a spotting scope. Also the 12's shouldn't be to bad in the woods if you can see more then 60 yards or so at a time. Any closer and I think I would say go to the 10x50's.

Myronman3

Lil-Rokslider
i settled on 10x42 el....and after using them, i have decided that it’s too much for where i live (wisconsin). I’m going to be better served with 8x. I have a pair of 8x on the way, and probably going to sell the 10x.

This part of wisconsin, most the viewing is under 200 yards. There might be some fields that are 800-900. Rarely do you get a chance to look further around here. If i were buying for hunting out west only, i’d prolly go 10x or 12x50. But the vast majority of my viewing is closer up, so 8x it is.

From what i’ve experienced, you aint losing a whole lot with 8x and guys that have them seem to like them....you dont see a lot of them for sale.

elkguide

WKR
Living in Vermont and hunting out West every year too, I find the 10X42's are what works best for me. I've tried 12's and they are too much in the East for my eyes. 8's don't do it for me out West or in some of my open field views here in Vermont/New York where I hunt. 10's are where it's at.

Catahoula

WKR
I don’t run Swarovski binocs (cost) but usually take my Nikon Monarch HG 8x42 pair here in Co. Enough power for me and good in dark timber. If I was spending, the Swarovski 8.5x42 EL would be my choice. Good luck.

OP
Youngbuck

Youngbuck

FNG
For those of you using the 10's out west, are y'all using tripods also, or just the binos? I have an older Leupold tripod, and I'm hoping it'll do what I need it to our west. Don't have the cash to get both bino and a new spotter