Choosing Open sights over a peep

brunse

Lil-Rokslider
So I’ve been prepping for an upcoming mule deer hunt. Worked up some loads with a scope. Shot the open sights. Then put on a peep. Not really loving it. Moved back to the open sights. I think I might stay there. Better target acquisition. Especially in the shade during midday for me.

Anyone else choose open sights over the peep?

Peep was .125 NECG. Sights are factory installed knight (fire sights?)

elkduds

WKR
Ghost ring fluorescent sights are better than either peep or iron open sights IMO, having used them all. Plus GR is legal in CO.

I shoot peep sights way better than open, but I'm sure there's a lot of personal preference that goes into this decision. Use whichever you like best, there's no right or wrong.

bbell

WKR
Use what works. I was going to mess with a couple styles of open sights this year and even thought about making my own peep for the Lyman GPR. Instead I just slapped the Lyman peep back on it. Works to good.😀

Standard peeps are too small for low light. I use a “twilight peep” from Williams. Larger appature

I use a front fiber optic bead and rear twilight peep. Works very well for me in low light.927F4D58-AA93-406D-9621-9546EC6280A6.png

Last edited:
I started out with Williams Lyman peep combo but found it wasn’t great during lowlight (first hour and last hour) when animals were moving. Switched back to a Williams fiber optic and pretty happy with it. For use in CO.

Jqualls10

FNG
I hunted with rear peep and stock front sight last season and proffered over open. This year I installed a globe sight on front with crosshairs and it is much better. Will be more comfortable at the longer distances.