Choosing scope for 308 win

Kilboars

WKR
Hey guys. I just purchased a Christiansen Arms MPR in a 308win and 16” barrel. I’ll be shooting suppressed with a SilencerCo Omega 36M.

Looking for a scope for it now. It will be a long range target rifle primary but I got it in a 308 for elk as well.
What advise could you give me on choosing the right scope. I’m going to look at the top scopes (buy once cry once) but want to be realistic.

I’m thinking...
First focal.
5-25 56.
20? MOA single mount. ?
MOA reticule
Right or left side windage?
Reticule for 308?

Thanks all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Like2hunt

Lil-Rokslider
Get the nicest, most quality scope you can afford. Glass is the last thing you want to go cheap on. Ive never had one, but my friend really likes tract optics.

Smokeslider

Lil-Rokslider
The only thing I can suggest is a honest evaluation of the hunting/target scenario and which one outweighs the other. Weight and features will conflict depending on your priorities.

Target turrets on the scope can become a PITA during a backcountry hunt. I know a lot of folks do it but I've had a few issues with bumping turrets when moving the gun off my shoulder and whatnot. Made me constantly check the turret position as it would shift occasionally. Drove me nuts.

For that short rifle with folder and your list of what you were thinking I would back off a longer and heavier 5-25x56 scope and look hard at the Leupold Mark5HD 3.6-18x44. FFP, MOA or MIL, Short, compact, low profile elevation turret that locks, capped windage, can get illuminated or not, ~25oz.

A 16" 308 isn't exactly a 1K+ rifle that needs a ton of magnification. However, it is fantastically compact and light. I wouldn't spoil that with a huge optic. Something max 12 or maybe 14x, even less. Short, light, and compact.
2.5-10 NXS would be my choice.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I had something long typed out, that echoes the above. For that gun:

1. Nightforce ATACR 4-16x42
2. S&B PMII 4-16x42
3. Kahles 3-18
4. Tangent Theta 3-15M
5. Nightforce 2.5-10x42 (SFP though...)

S&B Glass rocks, the P4F reticle sucks.
Razor Gen2 is too heavy for a hunting rifle
That 2.5-10 NF is my favorite.

My take.

OP
Kilboars

Kilboars

WKR
The only thing I can suggest is a honest evaluation of the hunting/target scenario and which one outweighs the other. Weight and features will conflict depending on your priorities.

Target turrets on the scope can become a PITA during a backcountry hunt. I know a lot of folks do it but I've had a few issues with bumping turrets when moving the gun off my shoulder and whatnot. Made me constantly check the turret position as it would shift occasionally. Drove me nuts.

Great point. My Nikon monarch actually came with two different size adjusting caps.

OP
Kilboars

Kilboars

WKR
For that short rifle with folder and your list of what you were thinking I would back off a longer and heavier 5-25x56 scope and look hard at the Leupold Mark5HD 3.6-18x44. FFP, MOA or MIL, Short, compact, low profile elevation turret that locks, capped windage, can get illuminated or not, ~25oz.

Thank you.

I was wanting a 20” barrel but they had this one already on order with the 16” barrel and it should be in my hands in a month.

I could order a 20” barrel?

OP
Kilboars

Kilboars

WKR
A 16" 308 isn't exactly a 1K+ rifle that needs a ton of magnification. However, it is fantastically compact and light. I wouldn't spoil that with a huge optic. Something max 12 or maybe 14x, even less. Short, light, and compact.
2.5-10 NXS would be my choice.

I believe my effect distance would be more like 700yds

At 700, I feel that 10x is plenty for big game. Even out to 1k it's plenty. 10x max compact scope would be perfect on that type of rifle at that range.

IAMRAJ

Lil-Rokslider
There's gonna be several advice on glass...only thing to remember us that glass is something which shouldn't be quality compromised. Its 'the' most important tool in hunting...am I being capt obvious...lol

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

OP
Kilboars

Kilboars

WKR
There's gonna be several advice on glass...only thing to remember us that glass is something which shouldn't be quality compromised. Its 'the' most important tool in hunting...am I being capt obvious...lol

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Yeah. I like nice glass.

My hunting Binos are Swarovski‘s els

If what you want is a 5-25x56, get a K525i, but if you want to keep the balance a little more to the rear, the K318i is a great scope as well.

vonb

Lil-Rokslider
Tract Toric. Schott glass, made in Japan and the features you are looking for on less than European scope prices.

kit_man_duu

Lil-Rokslider
Tract optics is awesome for the money. Their 2-10x42 scope is priced very reasonably for the quality.

You mention elk. I live in Louisiana and shoot our whitetails with a 16" 308. No problems here, it's beautiful to carry and shoot, plus it sounds like a finish nail gun. (Thunderbeast Ultra 9...)

I'm traveling to CO this year, and considered taking stumpy, but for the time and effort involved to get to the shooting position...I'm bringing something with more poke (speed). I'm barely getting 2400 on a hot day with 175s, really want 2600+ with 200s. Thinking 30-06 will get me there and be a fine 400, maybe 500 yard rifle which is all I want in the field.

Trijicon Credo 2-8 would probably be better suited to your rifle.
When you have a shot presentation at under 100 the 5-25 will be a regret.

I’ve used a Trijicon ACOG TA11 and a Elcan 1/4 on my SCAR to make first round hits out to 600, which is the practical limit for a 16 inch barrel.
I see far more problems with over magnification than under magnification.
I hear lots of interesting tales of hunters fiddling with scopes when they should be shooting.

Thank you.

I was wanting a 20” barrel but they had this one already on order with the 16” barrel and it should be in my hands in a month.

I could order a 20” barrel?

That is totally up to you and what you want out of that rifle. For a hunting gun I personally would have gone 20” at the shortest (I own 2 20” tube rifles now) to get a little more speed out of that .308. My wife has a 16.5” .260 rem and depending on the bullet I think you’re going to find your velocity will limit you to 400-500 yards max (again depending on your muzzle velocity and bullet choice) on game to have enough speed to open up the bullet, then you’ll want to look at your bullet energy at those distances. If you don’t plan on shooting game further than that then the 16” will be a sweet setup for a short suppressed rifle and will be plenty fine for practicing to 700 yards like you’ve said above.

This hobby is always a compromise. You always give up something to get something else.

Graves14

WKR
Not trying to Hijack you here but do you know what that rifle will weight with the can on it? I've been looking at almost exactly that same setup for backcountry hunts and casual longish range shooting.

For scopes I was taking a hard look at that Leupold Mark5HD 3.6-18x44 FFP.

I'll be following this thread to see what you do and how you like it.