Illuminated vs non illuminated?

• 4A-I illuminated

Votes: 7 43.8%
  • Plex Non illuminated

Votes: 9 56.3%

• Total voters

kaku3428

Lil-Rokslider
I am buying Z6 2.5-15x44 scope but confused whether I should get illuminated or non illuminated version for western big game hunting for bear, elk and antelope.

I have the same scope but a Zeiss V4. I did not get the illuminated. I never really saw the need for one. Shot my mule deer buck at last light this year in CO and no issues. Plenty of light due to the good glass and just one more thing to go wrong.

My 2 cents is to Save some cash and get the z5 3.5x18 bt plex. I have had both the z6 2.5 -15 and z5 3.5 -18 bt plex at the same time. Compared both extensively. I saw no difference in any lighting condition between the two and I have plenty of elevation for my dialing.

I had a straight mil and moa turrets on them dumped the factory turret.

Only plus for the z6 was the mil turret vs moa on z5.

The z5 was lighter and much cheaper so it stayed.

OP
kaku3428

kaku3428

Lil-Rokslider
My 2 cents is to Save some cash and get the z5 3.5x18 bt plex. I have had both the z6 2.5 -15 and z5 3.5 -18 bt plex at the same time. Compared both extensively. I saw no difference in any lighting condition between the two and I have plenty of elevation for my dialing.

I had a straight mil and moa turrets on them dumped the factory turret.

Only plus for the z6 was the mil turret vs moa on z5.

The z5 was lighter and much cheaper so it stayed.
I love the eye box on Z6 scopes. I looked at Z5 2.4-12x50 and did not like it. 3.5-18x44 should be even tighter. There is $500 difference between Z6 and Z6i models but plex reticle on Z6 is way thicker than Z5. Both are assembled in USA but not sure why reticle is so different.
I am interest in BT too and want mils on the turret.

My vote is definitely get the illumination because elk is on the menu. Your usually going to get shot opportunities first or last light in open or in dark timber during day. Illumination is about the only solution to not being able to see your reticle in dark timber. I am not a guy who likes batteries on my scope or managing the settings but I have desired a more visible reticle in real challenging backgrounds.

ldmay375

FNG
I do not have that particular scope nor likely shoot to the distances that you intend to. But, I do have more than one Swarovski Z6 1.7-10x42mm with non-illuminated Plex.
The Plex reticle in this 1.7-10x42 is a favorite for low light. The reason that I have more than one of these. Of course, reticle dimensions vary in scopes of different power ranges.
I do believe, that in certain situations the illuminated reticles are a plus. I have Z6i 1-6x24mm’s with the #4 illuminated. You always have an aiming point with the illumination.

I am buying Z6 2.5-15x44 scope but confused whether I should get illuminated or non illuminated version for western big game hunting for bear, elk and antelope.

Dinger

WKR
I own both the Z6 & Z6i in 1.7-10x42 with the 4A reticle...the illuminated model is my pick any day for any hunting. The dot helps draw your eye to the centre when it's bright out and who doesn't hunt at dawn and dusk? Well worth the extra coin for me.

The batteries last forever (turns off when upright) and you have a spare stashed in the windage cap anyway.

How much of your past hunting has been 30 minutes before sunrise or 30 minutes after sunset?

If the answer is "most", get the illuminated reticle. If not, save the ounce and $500.

The Illumination makes any optic faster by drawing your eye to the aiming point.

I have illuminated (Z6i) and non-illuminated Z6s. For precision shooting and most hunting applications I prefer the non-illuminated. Where the illuminated ones really "shine" are stand or still hunting in low light and quick shots. My Z6i 1.7-10 is perfect for that. Note - the eyepiece/housing on the illuminated ones is pretty large and may affect bolt clearance. A nice thing about the illuminated ones is that you can always turn the recticle off (which I do when sighting in.) The illuminated ones also have some nice smarts like; auto-shut-off and turn-on.