Choosing the Right Pack

Dan M

WKR
The Most Versatile Packs Available

Hello fellow Roksliders,

A few days ago I made the following post and it was titled "Choosing the Right Pack". However after several other individuals have brought up how versatile the Kifaru EMR2 is for extended hunts, as a daypack and for hauling meat I decided to rename it in order to catch the reader's attention as it seems many people are currently looking for pack solutions for the upcoming seasons. Regardless of which option you choose, the following posts bring up qualities which are definitely worth considering and several excellent options from Kifaru. Regardless of whether you agree with me regarding using the Cargo Panel/Duplex setup as an all-around platform, the knowledge shared can help you make the right selection for your hunting and training style. I hope this helps.

When it comes to choosing a pack there are several factors to consider. From reading others' posts on this forum I have found that many are concerned with the weight of an empty pack. This does matter to a point, but there is much more to consider than this factor alone and I believe these other factors are much more critical. The three most important factors I consider when choosing a pack are: weight dispersion (which equals relative comfort), durability and versatility. Weight dispersion is obviously critical because this factor alone will significantly impact the wearer's ability to move a load but it also determines the relative comfort of the individual. The weight must be on your hips not your shoulders, period. Proper weight dispersion does result from a pack fitting you correctly but it also results from a proper pack design. Durability is another factor which I look at seriously. If you use a pack once or twice a year this may not be your greatest concern, but if you are like me and use your pack weekly then durability is of the utmost importance. Even if I am not in the mountains, I train like hell with my pack several times a week. A great customer service department is critical to durability as well because even the best packs can require repair if you push them hard enough. Lastly, versatility is huge when it comes to choosing a pack and this factor is the main reason I am writing this post. Versatility means getting the most for your money. Can you buy a $200-400 pack and get by with it, maybe. I have tried that approach and have never been satisfied. Once I did more research and tried several products I found a solution that works for both my hunting and training styles.

I am sure that this post is going to ruffle the feathers of some people, however after over a decade of carrying various packs on my back in the military and for nearly as many years hunting out West I found what I believe is the most versatile all-around pack system on the market today and that is the Kifaru Cargo Panel and Duplex Frame combination. I have worn many brands of packs to include: Mystery Ranch, Eberlestock, Badlands, Kifaru and several variations of "fast packer" designs. I will admit that I have not worn a Kuiu pack and probably never will considering the reviews of others and the fact that they consistently bounce back and forth between designs.

I have seen several people asking what pack they should buy. After testing the Kifaru Cargo Panel and Duplex Frame setup thoroughly over the past 9 months I can honestly say this is the most versatile available. I have ran this pack hard during this time period while carrying loads ranging from 45 pounds all the way up to 150 pounds. This has been my primary source of training getting ready for the Meat Pack Challenge portion of Train to Hunt and it has never let me down.

This setup is so versatile because of its ability to be customized for any given task that you may come across. The pack can be used for extended hunts, day trips and of course dedicated hauling of heavy or bulky loads such as packing out meat, gear or anything else. If you're interested check out the videos that are linked from Kifaru's website where Aron Snyder demonstrates the possible configurations that will meet any of the missions I mentioned above. I won't waste your time with my setup, but check out the videos and you will see how versatile the system is. Another advantage is to this setup is that once you have the Duplex Frame you can swap out the Cargo Panel for any other Kifaru pack that will fit on the Duplex Frame should the need arise.

I will be using this setup this year in Colorado on an extended backpack archery elk hunt, bear hunt, antelope hunt and a Midwestern Whitetail trip. It's also my go to pack for training and for the Train to Hunt Challenge. I also own a Kifaru Duplex Timberline 1 which I also really like, but the versatility of this new setup makes it my go to.

I hope this post helps shed some light on the critical factors when selecting a pack.

Thanks,

Dan

Last edited:

midwest

FNG
My duplex and cp should be here Monday....I'm pretty stoked to get some weight in it and take for a test drive!

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
That's why you see start-up companies making packs, because they want something that isn't already specifically made the way they want it. And if there's one that wants that, there's a good chance that there will be others that want that.

Just like every pack maker, some will like them and some won't. And just like bows these days.......there's something out there that will work well for just about everybody, and like bows it's hard to find a bad pack these days.

* I won't waste your time with my setup, but check out the videos and you will see how versatile the system is.
I would like to see your set-up Dan. Especially would like to see how you haul meat and camp together, and if you are using the newest version of the cago panel or the older version. Pics would be great.

Thanks!

luke moffat

Super Moderator
After testing the Kifaru Cargo Panel and Duplex Frame setup thoroughly over the past 9 months I can honestly say this is the most versatile available.

Sounds like a great setup and glad you like it. Having run the Cargo Panel/Duplex setup myself, I am having a hard time seeing what the CP/Duplex will do than the EMR 2 won't. Care to explain? Would like to hear your thoughts as I found trying to make the CP run with different pockets attached and such to "gadgety" for my liking. Thanks so much and glad you like your setup.

I looked long and hard at that setup but couldn't get past not having an actual bag. That and by the time I added all the pockets it would be $300+. Based on the 3 factors that you listed as being important to you I would say you picked the perfect rig.

weaver

WKR
I tried that setup for a year and its not for me. I had the old style cargo panel. Great for packing meat and alright for day hunts but I hated it for extended backpacking bivy hunts.

Glad you found what works for you and hope you like it.

OP
D

Dan M

WKR
Castandblast,

I will definitely post some pics. I am out of town for the week but will post pics when I return. My pack is currently setup for the TTH Challenge so it is pretty much bare bones right now except for a Small Belt Pouch, Mini Belt Pouch and Nalgene Pouch on the Waist Belt. I have adjusted the way the lashing straps are configured on the Cargo Panel itself to allow it to remain more "flat" when the Panel is empty. This modification also allows me to snug the weight up higher on the frame.

As far as the version, I have the new Cargo Panel. As I mentioned in my post, this is the first year I am hunting with the Cargo Panel setup so I don't have any pics of meat and camp together. However, for hunting I will be running the Cargo Panel with two Large Belt Pouches on the outside, two Medium Belt Pouches on the inside, a small belt pouch on one side of the Belt and a Mini Belt Pouch and Nalgene Pouch on the other side of the Belt. I have debated whether or not to configure it with a Guide Lid on top of the Cargo Panel, the way Aron Snyder demonstrates in the videos, but I think I can get by without it this year.

My general plan is to use a Camp Bag to haul all camp gear and food on pack-in and all daypack gear in the pouches. Once I make camp I will drop all camp gear and go down to the Cargo Panel with pouches as my day pack. If need be I can use the Camp Bag to bring extra clothes or food if necessary but I am planning to carry all required daypack gear in the pouches I mentioned above on the Cargo Panel (including my kill kit). Should I get an animal down I plan to make the trip back to camp with the head/cape (or at least one quarter if I shoot a cow). At that point I will pack the head/cape or quarter back to the truck with camp packed in the Camp Bag once again. From there I will use the Cargo Panel to move the remaining meat to the truck. I am only explaining this to say that other than the first trip out, I generally do not plan to move meat and camp together.

Now, let me say that the Cargo Panel is very easy to configure to your exact need in relation to the size of cargo, gear or animal parts. One can reposition the lashing straps to allow a wide range of adjustability using the sewn in attachment points or the PALS webbing itself. When I send pics this will be more clear.

Thank you for your response. I hope this reply gives a better idea of my setup, but I will send pics upon my return.

Thanks,

Dan

OP
D

Dan M

WKR
Sounds like a great setup and glad you like it. Having run the Cargo Panel/Duplex setup myself, I am having a hard time seeing what the CP/Duplex will do than the EMR 2 won't. Care to explain? Would like to hear your thoughts as I found trying to make the CP run with different pockets attached and such to "gadgety" for my liking. Thanks so much and glad you like your setup.

Luke,

The EMR2 is an extremely versatile pack, but I like the CP/Duplex setup for hunts up to 7 days or so, which is what I based my initial concept on. If I was doing a hunt for 10+ days where I would really need the capacity of the EMR2, I would do so. I do not have a EMR2, but I do have a DT1 and I can say that one thing I really like about the CP/Duplex is that I have the ability to cinch the CP down against the frame at which point I hardly notice I am carrying anything larger than a daypack. The other thing I want to point out is that by using the CP setup the user has the ability to take advantage of the horizontal lashing straps to really position a load where it needs to be. Now I understand the EMR2 is configured to run multiple horizontal lashing straps which does replicate the CP concept, but this often isn't the case with a larger bag setup. A pack that has only two horizontal lashing straps will never secure a load the same as the new CP setup.

I understand that the CP/Duplex concept may not work for every situation. I am simply trying to point out its versatility and that it can be utilized as an extended hunt pack or daypack while at the same time being an excellent platform for training. I absolutely love my Kifaru DT1 and will use it when I need to but I have found this new setup to be extremely practical, reliable and functional. I do suppose a person could view the different pocket setups as gadgety, but I have come to recognize this as "modular" giving the end user the flexibility to setup their gear in the best manner to suit them.

Thank you for your response as I believe it prompted me to address the shortcomings in my initial post.

Thanks,

Dan

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Luke,

The EMR2 is an extremely versatile pack, but I like the CP/Duplex setup for hunts up to 7 days or so, which is what I based my initial concept on. If I was doing a hunt for 10+ days where I would really need the capacity of the EMR2, I would do so. I do not have a EMR2, but I do have a DT1 and I can say that one thing I really like about the CP/Duplex is that I have the ability to cinch the CP down against the frame at which point I hardly notice I am carrying anything larger than a daypack. The other thing I want to point out is that by using the CP setup the user has the ability to take advantage of the horizontal lashing straps to really position a load where it needs to be. Now I understand the EMR2 is configured to run multiple horizontal lashing straps which does replicate the CP concept, but this often isn't the case with a larger bag setup. A pack that has only two horizontal lashing straps will never secure a load the same as the new CP setup.

I understand that the CP/Duplex concept may not work for every situation. I am simply trying to point out its versatility and that it can be utilized as an extended hunt pack or daypack while at the same time being an excellent platform for training. I absolutely love my Kifaru DT1 and will use it when I need to but I have found this new setup to be extremely practical, reliable and functional. I do suppose a person could view the different pocket setups as gadgety, but I have come to recognize this as "modular" giving the end user the flexibility to setup their gear in the best manner to suit them.

Thank you for your response as I believe it prompted me to address the shortcomings in my initial post.

Thanks,

Dan

Good deal man. Like I said glad ya like it. Just found the EMR 2 even more versatile then the CP/Duplex. And it cinched up tighter when empty as the CP was a little floppy with the buckles not allowing the CP to be sucked tight to the frame in daypack mode. But it only has to make sense for you and thats the great thing about so many great option on the market. Hopefully there is something that works for everyone out there!

Thanks for the response.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Man I hate agreeing with Luke again:) but I have used just about every Kifaru option and the EMR 2 is just so dang easy to use. The CP makes me think to much. I just like unzipping the EMR 2, dumping shit in, zip her up, cinch her down and roll. She also packs down small for day pack mode and I just use the guide lid and the outside pockets. For me its packperfection, one word!

That's the great thing about Kifaru, lots of options.

Great write up Dan M!

Last edited:
Castandblast,

I will definitely post some pics. I am out of town for the week but will post pics when I return. My pack is currently setup for the TTH Challenge so it is pretty much bare bones right now except for a Small Belt Pouch, Mini Belt Pouch and Nalgene Pouch on the Waist Belt. I have adjusted the way the lashing straps are configured on the Cargo Panel itself to allow it to remain more "flat" when the Panel is empty. This modification also allows me to snug the weight up higher on the frame.

As far as the version, I have the new Cargo Panel. As I mentioned in my post, this is the first year I am hunting with the Cargo Panel setup so I don't have any pics of meat and camp together. However, for hunting I will be running the Cargo Panel with two Large Belt Pouches on the outside, two Medium Belt Pouches on the inside, a small belt pouch on one side of the Belt and a Mini Belt Pouch and Nalgene Pouch on the other side of the Belt. I have debated whether or not to configure it with a Guide Lid on top of the Cargo Panel, the way Aron Snyder demonstrates in the videos, but I think I can get by without it this year.

My general plan is to use a Camp Bag to haul all camp gear and food on pack-in and all daypack gear in the pouches. Once I make camp I will drop all camp gear and go down to the Cargo Panel with pouches as my day pack. If need be I can use the Camp Bag to bring extra clothes or food if necessary but I am planning to carry all required daypack gear in the pouches I mentioned above on the Cargo Panel (including my kill kit). Should I get an animal down I plan to make the trip back to camp with the head/cape (or at least one quarter if I shoot a cow). At that point I will pack the head/cape or quarter back to the truck with camp packed in the Camp Bag once again. From there I will use the Cargo Panel to move the remaining meat to the truck. I am only explaining this to say that other than the first trip out, I generally do not plan to move meat and camp together.

Now, let me say that the Cargo Panel is very easy to configure to your exact need in relation to the size of cargo, gear or animal parts. One can reposition the lashing straps to allow a wide range of adjustability using the sewn in attachment points or the PALS webbing itself. When I send pics this will be more clear.

Thank you for your response. I hope this reply gives a better idea of my setup, but I will send pics upon my return.

Thanks,

Dan
Thanks for the reply Dan.

I have the older version of the CP, and I wish it would suck up tight when empty. I used it for humping steel silhouettes into the hills for LR shooting and it was tough to get them tight to the frame. May have to grab a new version.

You are going to get about 1000 ci out of your four belt pouches, which should be enough for day hunts in warmer weather if no one item is too big to fit in a belt pouch. I would likely have to sandwich a small dry bag between the CP and frame with puffy, game bags, and emergency overnight gear, and rig something up to hold my spotter with easy access.

The cargo panel was my first piece of Kifaru kit, and I really like the concept in theory so I'm always interested to see how others skin the cat.

midwest

FNG
Good deal man. Like I said glad ya like it. Just found the EMR 2 even more versatile then the CP/Duplex. And it cinched up tighter when empty as the CP was a little floppy with the buckles not allowing the CP to be sucked tight to the frame in daypack mode. But it only has to make sense for you and thats the great thing about so many great option on the market. Hopefully there is something that works for everyone out there!

Thanks for the response.

Can't you just move the K clips or the slotted female buckles toward the center of the cp to get it to cinch down tight to the frame?

OP
D

Dan M

WKR
Can't you just move the K clips or the slotted female buckles toward the center of the cp to get it to cinch down tight to the frame?

Yes you can and that is the method I use. In my experience it is best to move the K-clips towards the center of the CP rather than the female buckles, especially if you are going to run any pouches on the outside of the CP.

-Dan